Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Reading non Amazon books on Kindle iPhone?

Is it possible read books which have been purchased elsewhere or converted on the iPhone version?

I like to sync my book positions between the two devices. But a lot of my books are not purchased from Amazon.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I know that on the kindle for pc you can read non drm mobi files.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
It is possible to read ebooks purchased from anywhere on your iPhone provided they are in epub format and drm free. I use Calibre. You can put ebooks from Calibre into iBooks on your phone, or access your Calibre library directly using Stanza and the Calibre content server.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
I need to read them in the Kindle app otherwise reading position is not synced. I already use iBooks for epub files. And I sync between my iPhone and iPod touch, works well.

I want to sync between my Kindle and iPhone/touch.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I don't own a Kindle, so I don't know this for sure--but I'm pretty sure that the only books that the Kindles have the ability to sync are Kindle books purchased from Amazon.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I don't own a Kindle, so I don't know this for sure--but I'm pretty sure that the only books that the Kindles have the ability to sync are Kindle books purchased from Amazon.

dordale
That is correct.

neonbible as leep said your best bet is to use Stanza. iBooks is lackluster. But with either Stanza or iBooks you can import them to your iPhone (or iPod touch) via iTunes. You don't need calibre, although you can use it if you so desire.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I use Kindle for iPhone but as far as I'm aware the only ebooks you can use in this are ones purchased from Amazon - unless there is a "hack" available but I've never read of this. That means no syncing either. The sync feature works with books purchased from the Amazon store as Amazon back these upon their own servers.

If there was a hack to load non-Amazon books on Kindle for iPhone, you wouldn't need to sync - all you'd need to do is input the location number to get to the exact same spot on your Kindle or your iPhone.

Stanza on the iPhone is my fav app for non-Amazon books.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote