Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Help-I just bought another book!

This has got to be a variation of horders syndrom. I have always loved books, and was taught it was a sin to throw a book away. Consequently, I have hundreds, maybe thousands, of pbooks. I thought since I couldn't look at my Kindle books, I might practice some retraint. Once I found out I could read library books on my Kindle, the book buying slowed down. But it has seemed to have the opposite affect. I buy from a lot of different sites, and I justify it by telling myself it is less than my husband pays for lunch (I never eat lunch out). Calibre makes my books look so nice!

So, I just spent $3.15. Big deal. But I have 1052 books in my library. Luckily, they take up the space of an SD card, but how
do you stop?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
davef
davef is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-700
In a related question... how do people manage their to-be-read lists?
I use tagging in Calibre to remember what I've already read and the new book-catalog function makes a very nice summary of all that remains. But I haven't come up with a way to have an ordering I can easily shuffle. So far this is one case where having a stack of physical books was actually easier to manage...
Anybody got a good solution to this (for those of us who haven't found a solution to Sydney's Mom Syndrome (SMS)?
davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
If you're dealing with websites with "one-click" purchases THERE IS NO ESCAPE from SMS! Impulse buying will triumph every time - esp. since you don't have to worry about where to put the books in your house any more, and can hide them from any concerned family members! SMS may be the new "dependency"!

On a related note, this ease of impulse buying seems to be totally unknown to the publishers who are delaying ebook release dates. How many of us have been browsing for one book, seen a new release and clicked that button?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=davef;817046]In a related question... how do people manage their to-be-read lists?
I use tagging in Calibre to remember what I've already read and the new book-catalog function makes a very nice summary of all that remains. But I haven't come up with a way to have an ordering I can easily shuffle. So far this is one case where having a stack of physical books was actually easier to manage...
QUOTE]

davef, I use tagging and ratings. The ratings are easy to see (I only rate books I have read, and delete the metadata ratings (who does those, anyway? They are all 4s!). Then, no matter what tags I am searching, the already read books stand out. If you click on ratings, it will sort that search by ratings, and you can put the rated/read books at the bottom.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, you can avoid that symptom, I'm afraid (If you discover the cure, please, share it! ). And about read books, well, I don't use calibre for that, I use an access db I've designed, and the reports I need.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes I'm with Terisa. I have been guilty in the last few weeks of buying several books -- probably 4-6 ebooks and 6-8 used pbooks (see I don't even know how many ). So I'm clearly not the one to ask as I've got a few dozen already in the queue!

All I can offer are sympathies and admire your restraint.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
If you're dealing with websites with "one-click" purchases THERE IS NO ESCAPE from SMS! Impulse buying will triumph every time - esp. since you don't have to worry about where to put the books in your house any more, and can hide them from any concerned family members! SMS may be the new "dependency"!

On a related note, this ease of impulse buying seems to be totally unknown to the publishers who are delaying ebook release dates. How many of us have been browsing for one book, seen a new release and clicked that button?
The book I bought this morning right before posting - I had to get out of bed, go to the closet, get my purse, take out my credit card, go back to bed, enter my credit card infromation, purchase, download, remove DRM, convert to mobi, put my credit card back. I guess that means I have absolutely no impulse control. Actually, I started reading it on the train today (sorry "But I Trusted You" and "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff").

I totally agree about the publishers. I don't go to pbook stores anymore, so I get news about new books in the newspaper, TV, internet. I have access to either my Kindle or my laptop in all of those situations, and it could be as easy as one-click to get the book. If it isn't available for purchase, and I am near my laptop, I will log into my library service, and reserve a pbook copy. It might take a couple weeks to get it, but I don't have to get in my car until the book is in (actually, that is what my bicycle is for, now that it is a little warmer). And if I take my bicycle, the ice cream store is between my house and the library.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Oops. Bought another while I was reading this.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I've been burned lately with a couple of books that appeared okay when I read the sample, but quickly got much worse quality-wise. A the moment I feel I'm quite rapidly getting more and more critical about the quality of writing... So I don't buy so many books. I'm probably lucky in that I've never bought many books, but always used the library and so I'm not quite in the habit.

Also feel a little guilty when I look at my TBR list - that put me off buying, too.

However, I have splurged on books lately, but that was p-books. Some books I like so much I'd like to have something more tangible than a file, so I've bought a 'bit'. I keep browsing at Folio Society's site... I might only be a question of time until I give in
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Well, I kind of figure that if I'm going to be addicted to something, then Diet Dr Pepper and book buying are better (and cheaper) than a lot of the alternatives. Also legal. So I stopped feeling guilty about either one of them. However, I do get twinges when I look at my wishlists at Books on Board and B&N.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Amazon has one-click ordering but it also has one-click samples and Whispernet delivery. The only times I've paid for a book without reading the sample are when I was traveling and knew I'd finish my book on the plane or I was out of the country altogether. Otherwise, it seems reasonable to me to delay my buying decision until I have a better idea if I will like the book. I suppose if I didn't have decent Whispernet coverage in my area I might buy in advance but even with one or two bars, I can get the rest of the book in a reasonable amount of time.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Oops. Bought another while I was reading this.

Graham
Old 03-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
And if I take my bicycle, the ice cream store is between my house and the library.
I'd say you have your priorities in order.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
This has got to be a variation of horders syndrom. I have always loved books, and was taught it was a sin to throw a book away.
Actually I think extravagance is a sin.... throwing away a book, not so much. So, if you are worried about sinning think about buying so many books, more than you can possible consume the sin of extravagance.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:00 AM   #15
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
how
do you stop?
The publishers and vendors are already trying very hard to help.
It's called 'Geographic Restrictions'.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote