Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Can't login onto Sony Ebookstore

Every time I try I get this piece of crap message.

Unable to access store. Check internet connection...blah blah blah

This has been going on for days. Worthless. I was soooooo close to breaking open my Sony reader instead of returning it and now this is all but convincing me that I will have nothing but trouble with the whole thing.

How irritating. If I don't get a fix for this tonight this device will be going back tomorrow and I won't look at Sony again.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Makes no sense as I can peruse the store, add books to cart, etc. But when I try to login to purchase a book it come back with this stupid unable to access the store. How in the heck is that possible when I have been accessing it all along?! And there is nowhere in the software that you can click to contact customer support. Worthless!
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Yeah, it's really hard to click "Contact us" within the ebook store or to make a phone call or to take a look at sony.com...

Do you have some kind of security software installed that might block the access? Maybe this thread offers you some more ideas...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Mrgauth
Addict

Hmmm. I saw no 'contact us'. I will look again. But I don't appreciate the rolled eyes.

Mods, please close the thread as I am done asking for help on this subject!
Old 04-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sorry, but I never saw this post. I wonder, can you access your account via this http://ebookstore.sony.com/ instead of via the library? That way, at least you would have a better idea if it is something with your account or something with your device that is causing the problem.

Have you upgraded to IE8? I hope it isn't going to cause a lot of problems for us.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
Hmmm. I saw no 'contact us'. I will look again. But I don't appreciate the rolled eyes.
I don't feel sorry for the "rolled eyes" but please don't feel offended just because i was a little bit sarcastic.

Did take a look into the thread i mentioned?
The strange thing is, that your internet connection (HTTP as used by the sony library) seems to work and it could be that just the SSL-secured URLs (used if you want purchase in the store) don't work.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:13 AM   #7
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Have you upgraded to IE8? I hope it isn't going to cause a lot of problems for us.
I have upgraded and there is no problem accessing or downloading from the Sony site.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:09 AM   #8
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Sorry, but I never saw this post. I wonder, can you access your account via this http://ebookstore.sony.com/ instead of via the library? That way, at least you would have a better idea if it is something with your account or something with your device that is causing the problem.

I agree. And if you access through this... I have searched their customer support contact with this answer at their website:

CONNECTION ERRORS: I am unable to access the store. I get a message that says the store is unavailable or that I am not connected to the internet or it just times out.
Question

I am unable to connect to the store.
Answer

To troubleshoot this issue, please follow the steps below:

1. Full operation and access to the eBook Store may be inhibited if a firewall or proxy is being used. It may be necessary to adjust the firewall or proxy settings to correctly access the eBook Store.

• Ensure the computer being used to access the eBook Store meets all the system requirements.
• Configure the Internet Explorer browser Security settings for the eBook Store web site.
Tools - Internet Options
General tab
Browsing History area, click Delete.
Choose temporary Internet files in the popup.

Security tab
Internet zone, Set to Default Level.

Privacy tab
Set to Default level.

2. If your Microsoft Windows Internet and Firewall options seem correct, please try disabling any third-party PC Firewall software, as well as any third-party anti-virus or anti-spyware applications, and delete the Temporary Internet Files. Then re-try the eBook Library application to see if connectivity to the eBook Store is now working.

If this is the case, try selectively re-enabling these third-party security applications to see which one caused the problem. Once identified, review the configuration options for that application to allow the eBook Library to access the internet. If necessary, please contact the software vendor for assistance.

The eBook Library application uses HTTP and HTTPS on port 80 to connect to the eBook Store.

3. If you still have problems, ensure that the correct username and password have been entered.

Note: Both the username and password are case sensitive. If the username or password have been forgotten or lost, they can be reset via the eBook Store by clicking on Account, and then Change Password located under the User Information section.

4. If you still experience difficulty when attempting to access the store, try uninstalling and reinstalling the software using the following process:

**For XP:
Go to Start>Control Panel and open Add/Remove programs. Find and uninstall/remove "eBook Library by Sony".

Open My Computer.
Go to Tools>Folder Options.
Click View and select “Show hidden files and folders” and click OK.

Please delete the following folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kinoma
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Marlin
C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\kinoma
C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony Corporation
C:\Program Files\Sony\eBook Library

**For Vista:

Go to Start>Control Panel and open Programs and Features>Uninstall a Program.

Click Start --> Control Panel --> Folder Options
Select the View tab
Click Show hidden files and folders

Please delete the following folders:

C:\ProgramData\kinoma
C:\ProgramData\Marlin
C:\Program Files\Sony\eBook Library
C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation
C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\kinoma

After doing so, reinstall your eBook Library software.

I hope this helps.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
modbod01
modbod01 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
What to do If I've tried all of the above and still cannot access ebookstore via internet or library software???? I can view any/all website on the internet except ebook store. This is the strangest issue I have ever come had. HELP PLZ!!!!
modbod01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by modbod01 View Post
What to do If I've tried all of the above and still cannot access ebookstore via internet or library software???? I can view any/all website on the internet except ebook store. This is the strangest issue I have ever come had. HELP PLZ!!!!
Are you using Windows XP or Vista and are you using Windows Firewall?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
modbod01
modbod01 began at the beginning.

I'm using XP and my Windows Firewall is off.
modbod01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by modbod01 View Post
I'm using XP and my Windows Firewall is off.
Hmmm. I was hoping you just hadn't opened (or somehow accidental closed) the port in the Windows Firewall. Have you added an exception in the firewall that you are using, or is Windows Firewall off while you are trying to test?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

This happened to me once when I was on a poor internet connection. I could surf the store but login refused to work. Once I got to a solid connection, everything was fine.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
No problem for me.

A few minutes ago, I logged in and bought the Yancey book you mentioned.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
Every time I try I get this piece of crap message.

Unable to access store. Check internet connection...blah blah blah

This has been going on for days. Worthless. I was soooooo close to breaking open my Sony reader instead of returning it and now this is all but convincing me that I will have nothing but trouble with the whole thing.

How irritating. If I don't get a fix for this tonight this device will be going back tomorrow and I won't look at Sony again.

I can tell you what happened to me not too long ago:

Apparently, my bank had been purchased by another bank and went through a name change. My debit card had not expired. Also, apparently with my bank, when there are no deposits for about 6 months (if my memory is correct on this point), they freeze the account.

When I went to the U.S. recently, they fixed the problem for me and issued me a new debit card with the new bank's name.

While all this was going on, I was able to log onto my Sony account, look at books, etc. - I just couldn't purchase anything.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote