Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
ePub - bought ADE version got PDF :(

I am very new to this, so I may have got my wires crossed.

I wanted a new novel my my new favourite gadget, the Sony PRS 505 (in very lovely Red), and purchased Schlink's The Reader from Books On Board in Adobe Digital Editions format.

I was expecting an ePub book with DRM. I got a PDF with DRM, that doesn't reflow, is too small to read, and doesn't even have the author in the metadata.

Should I be unhappy with BOB, or have I misunderstood the meaning of ADE?

Many thanks in advance.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
you are not the only one to find that unclear. i would write to BoB and explain the situation just as you did in this post, and ask them if they can give you a different format. if epub is not available, your best choice is to get MS Reader (Lit) format, remove the drm using ConvertLit (search the forums for info) and then use calibre to convert the lit file into epub. hopefully soon all books will be available in epub format...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your amazingly fast response! I will try as you suggest, and let the forum know how I get on.

I love my new device - it is so easy on the eye when reading. I am finding the whole eBook thing a bit fraught though!

Thanks again

a
Old 02-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
I was expecting an ePub book with DRM. I got a PDF with DRM, that doesn't reflow, is too small to read, and doesn't even have the author in the metadata.
Are you sure it doesn't reflow? Have you pressed the size button?

Quote:
Nope, you need to be more attentive and yes you have misunderstood the meaning. ADE supports both PDF and ePUB... Most book stores have a way of differentiating as to which you are getting.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your amazingly fast response! I will try as you suggest, and let the forum know how I get on.
good luck ! BoB knows this forum so you could even mention this thread and that you got the advice here. they are usually very helpful and understanding.
Quote:
I love my new device - it is so easy on the eye when reading. I am finding the whole eBook thing a bit fraught though!
pfff, to say the least ! all these formats and all the hoops we have to jump through to get a book onto our device... it's ridiculous. that's why i think it's really important to support epub : it's the new industry standard format and a standard format is exactly what we need.
Quote:
Thanks again

a
let us know how it goes.
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, you did misunderstand unfortunately.

Adobe Digital Edition = PDF
Adobe ePub = ePub

This is just for BooksOnBoard. Other sites may label things differently.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I am very new to this, so I may have got my wires crossed.

I wanted a new novel my my new favourite gadget, the Sony PRS 505 (in very lovely Red), and purchased Schlink's The Reader from Books On Board in Adobe Digital Editions format.

Many thanks in advance.

amjb
I'm not sure if it's BoB fault or Adobe. But here is a link that might clear up buying ePUB books from BoB in the future.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=16

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:17 AM   #8
amjbrown
Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's BoB fault or Adobe
I think JSWolf, and I have to agree with him, thinks it is my fault!

Anyway, you have to learn by doing, I now have a sound workflow that gets MSReader book onto my PRS-505, and the BoB people have said that once I have tested their sample book (which I have just done, but they will be asleep) they will exchange the format. Finally, your link confirms clearly what I had deduced.

All in all a very pleasant experience - I learnt a lot, the people on this forum are extremely helpful, and the team at BoB understand customer service.

I expect to be reading "The Reader" on my reader tonight!

Thanks to all
amjb
Old 02-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I think JSWolf, and I have to agree with him, thinks it is my fault!
Sorry amj that is not what I meant, but it's big of you to take the blame.

I read my post and I was not very clear. I meant to say I don't know who is at fault for blurring the line between PDF and ePUB. I don't know if it was Adobe who directed BoB to change their terminology or if it was BoB who took the initiative. I guess one can take it another step and blame the ePUB comityfor not coming up with an ePUB logo to reduce confusion form the consumer.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think it's anyone's "fault" except Adobe's for having such incredibly confusing terminology. If many of us here, who are very experienced eBook users, get confused, what hope is there for the novice?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
amjbrown
Addict

All sorted. Books On Board switched my format, ConvertLIT and Calibre did their thing, and a highly readable version of "The Reader" is now on my PRS-505.

Many thanks for everyone's kind help.

amjb
Old 02-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think it's anyone's "fault" except Adobe's for having such incredibly confusing terminology. If many of us here, who are very experienced eBook users, get confused, what hope is there for the novice?
yes it's true, all those formats are confusing. let's not even get started on the whole "you can't read eReader formats on sony Readers" problem. it's a good thing that the industry is finally getting behind a standard format. when epub becomes really generalised it will reduce the confusion and compatibility problems considerably.
Quote:
All sorted. Books On Board switched my format, ConvertLIT and Calibre did their thing, and a highly readable version of "The Reader" is now on my PRS-505.

amjb
i'm glad you got it all sorted.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

amjb
The Reader is now on the Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote