Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #91
Kevin R
Banned
Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FluxCapacitor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
Are you suggesting that anyone who thinks that they have a case should pursue it? That one should never disagree with them if it seems plain to you that they don't have a case at all?

My point is that, in this case, I don't think that there is a case
My point is yes, that if someone thinks they have a case they should pursue it. You have all the right to disagree and even make your case to convince someone to not pursue something. Ultimately, however if you fail to convince they still have a right to move forward on what they believe. You may ultimately be right, but your disagreement does not mean that they should stop.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #92
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They do still work, but a date has been set for their abolition - I think it's 2017. You'll really struggle to find any shop, petrol station, etc, who will accept cheques these days. I've only written out 3 cheques in the last year.
I hadn't heard about this (living in the States, and not getting out much :-)

I was thinking up to this point in the conversation that while I don't use checks much, they're my method of choice for sending money through the mail--to pay bills for example.

I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about how this is handled in Britain. Do you just pay all your bills in person at the appropriate office, or is there a form to fill out to pay by debit card that you then send through the mail?

If you're not interested in explaining to yet another clueless foreigner I understand, and it's okay, but I would be interested in learning a bit more about this facet of outside-my-patch-of-country life.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #93
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Regarding the original post...

You have purchased a Kindle and only then discovered that you needed to have 1-click turned on at Amazon, which requires having an Amazon account and a credit card. What are your options at this point?

Well, you could, if it is economically feasible, get a credit card. I started out twenty years ago with a secured credit card (I put some of my savings in a separate account--the amount in that account was the limit on my card, and the credit card company was secure in the knowledge that I could pay off my card while they were taking a chance on me as someone with literally no credit history to date.) If you decide to go this route, I would recommend paying it off every month in full.

If you don't have enough savings to consider tying up a chunk of them in this way, I think you can still use the Kindle. I think the Whispernet won't actually connect to the web if the Kindle isn't registered so you might as well leave it turned off, but Mobileread, Manybooks and Project Gutenberg all have the very same public domain books that are being offered for free at Amazon. Baen Free Library has actual recent release e-books that they are offering to drum up sales. Tor.com has short stories that you can download. In all cases you want the Mobipocket formats (or they may say they have Kindle format; that works too.) Download them to your computer, then load them into the Documents folder of your Kindle using the USB cord for it.

If this doesn't satisfy you, I guess you'll have to return the Kindle. Amazon has a thirty day return policy when they will take it back for any reason, or none. If you got it from somewhere else, you may not be able to return it, but you may be able to resell it.

I'm sorry but I don't think you'll have much luck trying to force Amazon to change its policies for you. My experiences with Amazon have mostly been happy; their customer service has been perfectly willing to work hard with me to get my Kindle working smoothly, for example. But I've never known them to change a policy for a single person.

I'm afraid I have no suggestions for you on how to get the government to force Amazon to take payment other than credit cards. I guess the FTC seems as good as anything else; perhaps you can find them by Googling?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #94
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about how this is handled in Britain. Do you just pay all your bills in person at the appropriate office, or is there a form to fill out to pay by debit card that you then send through the mail?

If you're not interested in explaining to yet another clueless foreigner I understand, and it's okay, but I would be interested in learning a bit more about this facet of outside-my-patch-of-country life.

Personally, I pay almost everything by direct debit or standing order - i.e. automatically every month from my bank account. This is the approach that most utilities prefer, and often give an incentive for. Many also give an incentive for accepting electronic billing (avoiding their print/postage costs).

Alternatively, people can pay most bills at a post office (using whatever method they want). There are other schemes for some things, like saving stamps etc.

Most organisations will also accept payments over the telephone using a debit or credit card.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #95
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
Please let me remind you to once again please stay on topic and follow the guidelines for posting (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines).

Continued attacks and off topic discussion is not welcome or productive.

Back on topic...

The original poster might want to consider filing with the Better Business Buraeu of Washington State (http://alaskaoregonwesternwashington.bbb.org/)
welcome to Mobile Read where getting off topic our specialty! rarely is staying ON topic an issue. and certainly not fretted about by unvetted unqualified thread wranglers.

Quote:
The original poster believes that they 'have a case' and should be encouraged to peruse any avenue available if they believe they are wronged. The fact that one party, or a group of people, believes that their time is wasted is no reason to not peruse an issue. Within any legal system or regulatory body, both parties believe that they are right and the other is wrong etc. With the logic above, taken to the extreme, all complaints should be dismissed everywhere.
the OP has the makings of a twinkie factory

Quote:
Again, I am shocked and dismayed at the level of hostility to new members of the community, the number of posts has no bearing on the merit of the argument. Perhaps you should also point out the merit less comments from the 1000+ posters? I think you will not.

As for your last, point I can only say that the level of inconsistency exhibited does nothing to help your argument. In one part you want to cave-in and suggest that individuals have no rights given how 'large' a corporation is, then on the other you make the cute statement power to the people.

Back on topic...

To the original poster, if you would like to log a complaint in the UK I would suggest the Office of Fair Trade (http://www.oft.gov.uk/)
99.9% of the new posters here fit right in! so sorry about your bad karma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I hadn't heard about this (living in the States, and not getting out much :-)

I was thinking up to this point in the conversation that while I don't use checks much, they're my method of choice for sending money through the mail--to pay bills for example.

cat, here in the US I have not used a paper check in over 10 years (other than for really big purchases when you need a bank check). all my bills are paid on-line. even my little Famer's Market here is taking credit/debit cards at most of the stands. so many places DON'T take checks that I've given up. it's either plastic or cash for me. oh! and forget about American Express Traveler's Checks anymore! apparently they are EXTREMELY easy to forge and it is difficult to even get a bank to take them!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #96
Kevin R
Banned
Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
welcome to Mobile Read where getting off topic our specialty!

the OP has the makings of a twinkie factory

Please note that you are in continued violation of the rules. And I would request that you read up to make for civil discussion. (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines)

Continued anger and harassment will be reported for the benefit of the community.

Now back on topic...

To the original poster, in the up side down hemisphere you may want to contact the BBB here http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/142

I encourage you to not be discouraged by the offensive and ill informed posters in this thread.

Last edited by Kevin R; 08-08-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #97
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Ok seriously, will both of you just stop now.

Amazon has a policy.

If the OP doesn't like she can return her Kindle and be done with it.

Mods...is there any chance to just lock this thread?

The OP hasn't checked back in here because this has gotten so contentious that if I were the OP I wouldn't post back in here either.

And Kevin you're not exactly following rules either with statements like this:

Quote:

I encourage you to not be discouraged by the offensive and ill informed posters in this thread.

Last edited by texasnightowl; 08-08-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #98
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The posters on this thread are not being offensive, nor are they ill-informed. I thought that KindleKitten's post was pretty restrained given the craziness of the idea in the OP: they are going to complain to Amazon for requiring them to have a credit card to do business. Well, good luck with that - Amazon are within their rights as many people have pointed out.

It is not a requirement to start every post with a link to the rules and a dig at everyone who disagrees with you. Is it debating the issue or slinging mud at people to refer to "offensive and ill-informed posters". The posters are the people, not their arguments, so I suggest that you read the guidelines that you're endlessly linking to.

Perhaps this thread has got as far as it's going to on topic, and should be shut down. Unless you want to list some more places to complain to in different countries?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #99
Kevin R
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post

The OP hasn't checked back in here because this has gotten so contentious that if I were the OP I wouldn't post back in here either.

The original post requested here to make complaints. I have endeavored to provide the OP with the requested information. The rest of the posts here are by long timers attacking this new person as naive, a whiner and twinkie. In my view this attack is based solely on the fact that they do not like the request and disagree with the persons feelings. This is compounded by the desire to only allow 1000+s to speak, thus the desire to lock this thread. None of this is productive.

Again to continue to provide the requested information and assist in a constructive manner...

Back on topic

To the OP, throughout the EU you might want to contact the commission at http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/index_en.htm

Fight the good fight, do not be discouraged by the few.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #100
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
The posters on this thread are not being offensive, nor are they ill-informed. I thought that KindleKitten's post was pretty restrained given the craziness of the idea in the OP: they are going to complain to Amazon for requiring them to have a credit card to do business. Well, good luck with that - Amazon are within their rights as many people have pointed out.
Do business? Downloading free ebooks is not doing business. To me it seems kind of absurd that you need to register a credit or debit card for that.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #101
Ben Thornton
Guru

1000+ what? Do I get to speak?

Back on topic.
In Vatican City, you might want to contact His Holiness The Pope
Old 08-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #102
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Fight the good fight, do not be discouraged by the few.
I believe you're intentionally being offensive and provoking others.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #103
Kevin R
Banned

Quote:
I thought that KindleKitten's post was pretty restrained given the craziness of the idea in the OP:
Again, please read the rules...

Kindlekitten has called the poster a whiner and attacked everyone that has a different opinion. Also many others have called the original poster naive, lazy and now you are calling her crazy. Why so upset, 1000+ posters keep attacking. It is a shame. I encourage you to read the guidelines https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines

You will note that others in this thread also feel the same way. One poster put it best, stating that the comments have attacked the OP are 'insensitive' - direct quote.

Back on topic

Again to the OP, I apologize on behalf of the community. Here is another place to look to place a complaint in Canada http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc.nsf/eng/home
Old 08-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #104
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Ok seriously, will both of you just stop now.

Amazon has a policy.

If the OP doesn't like she can return her Kindle and be done with it.

And Kevin you're not exactly following rules either with statements like this.
Yes, there is a chance to lock it, and yes, it now is.

There have been two mod-posts in-thread, and PMs off-thread. And still it continues.

If the OP wants it to be reopened, they are welcome to request it so, and we will consider the merits of doing so.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 08-08-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
complaint