Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Easier to strip: MOBI or LIT?

So there's a couple of ebooks I want from ebooks.com. Unfortunately, these books are not available as ePubs.

My choices are Adobe PDF, Mobipocket or Microsoft Reader.

I know my nook will recognise PDF, but I hear only bad things about PDF ebooks, so I don't think I'm gonna go there. So I want to know whether I should go for Mobi or Lit?

The nook doesn't recognise either, so I'll have to strip the DRM and then convert. So is it easier to strip one over the other? What about the actual formatting? Is one or the other better? Does converting from Mobi to ePub yield different results than Lit to ePub? Or does it make no difference?

Any advice would be appreciated. (I'm using a Mac, if that makes a difference.)
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Both Mobi and LIT are based on the OEB standard; there's very little to choose between them. Mobi will probably give you a more direct conversion; when I buy LIT I generally go LIT -> Mobi -> ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:05 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Just my personal experience, but lit will strip on command. Mobi will not even return my phone calls.

Just speaking of DRM issues.

Others have been more fortunate with Mobi.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:36 AM   #4
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Both Mobi and LIT are based on the OEB standard; there's very little to choose between them. Mobi will probably give you a more direct conversion; when I buy LIT I generally go LIT -> Mobi -> ePub.
Is that because you can't convert from LIT to ePub, or simply because LIT>Mobi>ePub yields better results? If so, in what way? I assume the conversion from either is possible through Calibre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Just my personal experience, but lit will strip on command. Mobi will not even return my phone calls.
Interesing. Can you elaborate? What exactly are the issues you're having? Do you know why there is a problem? I assume not, since if you did you probably would have worked your way around it.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:43 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I prefer mobi, I find it easier to strip. For LIT, you need an activated MS Reader instance.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
afa
The Forgotten

Thanks for that.

Would you know if stripping Mobi is easily doable on a Mac?

I ask because I was curious abouting stripping Kindle ebooks, but when I checked about unswindle, and it seems that it's made for Windows. At least, that's what it looks like. It seems to work through Kindle for PC, and doesn't mention Kindle for Mac. The K4PC app obviously is an EXE extension, which isn't readable in OS X.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
If you have a Mac, I would go for Mobi. With lit you need Microsoft Explorer, activated Microsoft Reader and I don't know if the program for strip it works in Mac. And stripping Mobi in Mac I think it's easy, there're available python scripts.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Any advice would be appreciated. (I'm using a Mac, if that makes a difference.)
You can't download .lit files on a Mac (Well, not without installing a Windows emulator!). Go for Mobipocket.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you run python scripts on a mac? Because, that's all it takes (and your PID, naturally) to strip DRM from mobipocket books. Kindle books are different.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
afa
The Forgotten

Thanks for the replies everyone. Mobipocket it is, then.

Yeah, I can run Python. I did it for ePubs.

Er, PID? Where do I get that?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

When you download a mobipocket book, you'll need a PID. It doesn't really matter where you get it from, as long as it's valid (as you'll be stripping the DRM anyway). You can get it from any installation of mobipocket reader. Once you've that PID, you can do away with the installation (just remember the PID...) The PID I'm using right now, is from my old PDA, which I don't use anymore, for instance...

(http://www.ebooks.com/help/troublesh...mobipocket.asp)

Last edited by Sweetpea; 07-29-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #12
afa
The Forgotten

Thanks, Sweetpea.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You'd be better off going LIT to ePub and once you get the ePub the way you like, then go Mobi from there.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You'd be better off going LIT to ePub and once you get the ePub the way you like, then go Mobi from there.
Why?

I've often found Mobi coverts to ePub better than Lit.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:13 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is stripping the DRM from LIT. Because that was the question. If you have a mac, it's difficult to do just that, as you'll need an activated copy of MS Reader.

And, as is AnemicOak asking, why? I never got good results from LIT...