Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
mysweety
Connoisseur
mysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the rough

Device: Hanlin V3, PB360
Converting from html

I have been trying to convert a book from html for my hanlin.

The book is http://oll.libertyfund.org/index.php...temid=99999999

Jacob Bruckhardt - History and historians.
The original format is one html with index and it has some greek text embedded.

I have tried 3 formats:

MOBI. The reult is satisfactory but I cannot use the TOC - there is a TOC but I cannot follow the links and am thrown to the end of the book.

EPUB. The text is a bit small so I have tried to increase the size by putting different values in the look and feel. The results do not change when I use these different values. There is a TOC but I cannot make links.

TXT. The text is satisfactory in size but the greek letters are not displayed properly and the "it's" becomes "ittm s".

My question really is which format to use and how to get a TOC which can have links and works - the book has 143 sections.

Thanks.
mysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweety View Post
I have been trying to convert a book from html for my hanlin.

The book is http://oll.libertyfund.org/index.php...temid=99999999

Jacob Bruckhardt - History and historians.
The original format is one html with index and it has some greek text embedded.

I have tried 3 formats:

MOBI. The reult is satisfactory but I cannot use the TOC - there is a TOC but I cannot follow the links and am thrown to the end of the book.

EPUB. The text is a bit small so I have tried to increase the size by putting different values in the look and feel. The results do not change when I use these different values. There is a TOC but I cannot make links.

TXT. The text is satisfactory in size but the greek letters are not displayed properly and the "it's" becomes "ittm s".

My question really is which format to use and how to get a TOC which can have links and works - the book has 143 sections.

Thanks.
Okay to start with you need to chop out everything except the book itself so from:

Code:
<div id="lf_content">
down to:
Code:
 (Translator's note.)</p>

</div>
then import that, then in the TOC generator (epub output)

Code:
Level 1: //h:li[re:test(@id, "con_*", "i")]

Level 2: //h:span[re:test(@class, "indent1", "i")]
Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
mysweety
Connoisseur
mysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the help.
Tried this both with epub and mobi - the TOC still don't seem to work.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
markbond1007
Connoisseur

have you any more details (calibre version), what device/software are you trying the resultant book on, as I tried that before I posted the instructions and the ToC worked fine in Calibre's viewer.

Mark
Old 08-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
mysweety
Connoisseur

Yes there is no problem in the viewer.

However when I transfer to the Hanlin it goes wrong - there is a very limited TOC with 2 items and they are not linkable so not able to flick to a section.

There is still a problem with ePub - when I change the font size the result is always the same.

Thanks

Calibre 0.6.4
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's likely a bug in the Hanlin EPUb viewer which IIRC is not very goodd. Try changing your output format to MOBI or FB2
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
mysweety
Connoisseur

I've tried Mobi which is always my first choice - the output is very good but the TOC is the problem.

I get a TOC but it doesn't link.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
mysweety
Connoisseur

Now I've also tried FB2 - reads well with greek characters correct but no TOC.

Thanks Ralph
Old 08-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
markbond1007
Connoisseur

have you got any epubs with a toc to work on the hanlin? If so could you send me one (or post a link to a non DRM/free one so I can take a look), I'll have a quick look and see what the issue is (If you can find any that work). May not be able to fix it, but I'll probably be able to compare and log a detailed ticket for you if its not a really broken Hanlin firmware.

Mark
Old 08-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
mysweety
Connoisseur

I've not found any that work.

I've been playing around with eCud and will see if it works better.

There seem to be 2 issues with ePub:

1. The TOC
2. The size of the charaters - changing size in the "Look and Feel" seems to make no difference.

Regards.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
markbond1007
Connoisseur

Quote:

I've been playing around with eCud and will see if it works better.

There seem to be 2 issues with ePub:

1. The TOC
2. The size of the charaters - changing size in the "Look and Feel" seems to make no difference.

Regards.
Actually this sounds more like the Hanlin version of the ePub reader than ePub itself that has a problem.

Mark
Old 08-20-2009, 07:02 AM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:

Regards.
There is an free ePub book (Designing Better Futures) supplied with the ECO Reader which has just become available in Australasia.

The ECO Reader is a variant of the Hanlin V3.

The multi level Table of Contents does work, even though they call it the Catalog.

Perhaps you might like to contact CBell who is associated with the firm which sells the ECO Reader, provides excellent service, and is an active member of the forum to see whether she would send you a copy to work on.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Hi Alex and mysweety, Designing Better Futures isn't free, it's under copyright and we pay royalties to the author, so we can't share it.

I'll check if I have any other ePubs (that I can share) that have working multi-level ToCs.

mysweety, are you sure the Mobi ToC doesn't link to chapters? With the book open, you may have to use the Menu to select Follow Link to enable the hyperlinks...
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:15 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
Hi Alex and mysweety, Designing Better Futures isn't free, it's under copyright and we pay royalties to the author, so we can't share it.
Just as well I didn't send it off myself then.

I've downloaded several ePub books from MR on to my ECO Reader, and have no problem using their Tables of Content. One example is 'The Little Nugget' by Jelby. Unless the ECO Reader ePub reader is different from the usual Hanlin V3 ePub reader I doubt that the problem is with the hardware.

Regards, Alex.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #15
mysweety
Connoisseur

Hi

I'll look into that. What happened with the size of the text - did you manage to convert to Epup and increase the size ?