Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
whjms
whjms began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde Touch
Help mounting jailbroken KT

I have a jailbroken KT running 5.1.2. I've installed USBNetwork, and can enable it (by entering ';un' in the search bar) and SSH into the device via USB.

However, if USB networking is not enabled and I plug a USB cable into it, the device appears to charge, displays the 'USB Drive Mode' screen, but I am unable to fine the drive on my system.

dmesg gives the following output:
Code:
[ 1557.424157] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 8 using ehci_hcd
[ 1557.569353] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=1949, idProduct=0004
[ 1557.569365] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 1557.569373] usb 1-2: Product: Amazon Kindle
[ 1557.569378] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Amazon
[ 1557.569383] usb 1-2: SerialNumber: XXXXXXXXX
[ 1557.574593] scsi13 : usb-storage 1-2:1.0
[ 1558.574552] scsi 13:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Kindle   Internal Storage 0100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[ 1558.575801] sd 13:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg7 type 0
[ 1558.583659] sd 13:0:0:0: [sdg] Attached SCSI removable disk
However, I can only see /dev/sdg in /dev, not /dev/sdg1, and so, I cannot mount the device.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Last edited by dreams; 06-06-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: removed serial number - moderator
whjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Try restarting your Kindle (cold boot/reset). There doesn't seem to be a partition table. Can you mount /dev/sdg instead?

From the perspective of the Kindle (rather than the USB host), that user store partition is (ought to be) a bit special. While it is a (eMMC) partition, it contains (should contain) a partition table header on its own, as if it were not a partition but rather a disk on its own. Amazon uses this trick to easily export the whole partition via USB and make the USB host PC believe that it is a full disk.

Did you mess with the partitions / flash storage on your Kindle?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@whjms: Which version of the USBNet hack are you using, and how much did you play with the settings?

That vaguely looks like what happens if we try to go behind volumd's back, or if volumd fails to properly export the partition for some reason... Toggling USBnet with an USB cord plugged in to something *might* also trigger something like that. Recent versions of USBnet should be working around most of those issues, though.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
whjms
whjms began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde Touch
Sorry for the late reply guys. It seems the issue was disk-related, as after plugging it in on Windows, I got the 'Hey this disk is funky' popup.

I let Windows repair the disk and since then, everything's working fine.

Thanks for the help!
whjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by whjms View Post
Sorry for the late reply guys. It seems the issue was disk-related, as after plugging it in on Windows, I got the 'Hey this disk is funky' popup.

I let Windows repair the disk and since then, everything's working fine.

Thanks for the help!
The Kindle firmware **should** detect such file system errors during a complete reboot (cold start) and rebuild the file system.
Both the exported FAT partition and the ext3 /var/local partition.

But - sometimes that does not happen and requires user intervention (like you did).
(Plus: It is very rare for a Kindle to be **completely** rebooted.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert