Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3 (B006)
Talking OMG! Kindle LendMe comming out!

Yay! Amazon desided to add a LendMe feature to Kindle (it won't be called "LendMe" as that name is trade marked by B&N) in the not-too-distant future. I heard about it from here:
http://ireaderreview.com/
As of this post, the article talking about LendMe for Kindle is the most recent one. You might have to bookmark it because other articles come out quickly.

Also, the Kindle app software (e.g. Kindle for PC, Kindle for BlackBerry) will soon be able to get periodicals delivered to it.
Stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
But it's the same lame scheme that the Nook uses -- no doubt driven by publisher rules. I didn't see the point then and I don't now. Amazon probably added it not to be user friendly but to get another check mark to even the marketing score.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

I know. The B&N Nook has been trubbling Amazon for a while. When ever people are thinking "should I get a Nook or a Kindle?", they think of Nook's features such as its color touch screen and LendMe feature. They often don't know that it's a lame feature until they buy a Nook, and by that time, Amazon have lost another customer. Amazon added it for quick money, which is a little out of character as the usually use the stratagy where good customer service brings even more customers and makes dedicated owners (It works well, to - I've already convinced 7 people to get Kindles!).

I've never used a Nook, so I don't know how good or bad LendMe is. The thing I'm excited about is the prospect of hacks utiling this feature for other (and more useful) purposes.

Sadly, I can't seem to get this faulty hack off my Kindle so I don't know if update 3.1 (at least I think it'll come out in 3.1) will be able to install. Can an official OTA firmware update install correctly with the USB Network hack installed?
Old 10-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I agree that I wish this was something to get excited about.

I'm still hoping that at some point they'll expand the number of lending options. I expect there will always be some sort of limit, but "once and you're done" is too few.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Hacks can deal with that.
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I'm pleased to see this - 1 is a big improvement on 0. Next stop, 2!
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Curious if others (Sony, etc.) will copy this.
Although removing DRM would be better it's better than nothing.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yep, you buy a Kindle book, lend it to me, let me strip the DRM and keep a copy. LOL!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
can't you save a book to your desktop (or calibre) and then I dunno... either email it to someone or have them hook up to your computer and transfer it that way?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
can't you save a book to your desktop (or calibre) and then I dunno... either email it to someone or have them hook up to your computer and transfer it that way?
Only if there's no DRM
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #11
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
I'm underwhelmed. Lets you lend a book once (!) for 14 days, at the publisher's discretion...
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:26 AM   #12
Stonecold
Connoisseur

It's not the LendMe feature itself that I'm excited about. It's the prospect for using the feature with hacks that'll greatly improve its "functionality".
Old 10-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
It's not the LendMe feature itself that I'm excited about. It's the prospect for using the feature with hacks that'll greatly improve its "functionality".
didn't you recently hack your way into not being able to receive the last update?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #14
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
As the author and publisher of a non-DRMed book, I look upon this development and scoff haughtily. To me it's like saying, "I will sell you this car, and as a special bonus, I will let you loan it for fourteen days to one other driver." The whole "lend me" thing is a Band-Aid on your chest where your heart's been ripped out.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
If the lendee's reading device is registered to the lender's installation of ADE, then yes, you can lend ebooks by e-mail. But then they can't register it to their OWN installation of ADE, so that's probably best kept within a single household at least.

P.S. Just remembered: I lent my sister several ebooks by putting them on one of my "extra" readers, DRM intact, and lending her the reader. She called me last week and asked if two of the books were available in hard copy. She read the ebooks and liked them and wants them for her collection, and is going to buy them in hard copy. See what you're missing with your fears of piracy, publishers?

Last edited by MaggieScratch; 10-25-2010 at 03:56 PM.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, e-books, kindle, kindle apps, lendme