Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
FrayAdjacent
FrayAdjacent doesn't litterFrayAdjacent doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Picked up a used 600, demo mode on

I just received a PRS-600 that has been used. It's in good shape, but is missing the stylus (any idea on where to get a replacement?), and it won't allow me to adjust most of the settings, saying it is in Demo Mode.

I've read around a little, and found some related topics regarding the 505. I have updated the device to the latest firmware from Sony, and it's still apparently in Demo Mode.

I have access to a Mac and a PC, so whichever works best for resolving this, I have.
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Have you tried pressing the recessed reset button for a few seconds?
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Here's a thread on a 505 in demo mode.
Perhaps the solution also works for other models.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44142
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
FrayAdjacent

The reset button didn't do anything.

Patricia, the thread linked has a few links to some fixes, but they're only for the 505. I've already updated the 600 to the latest firmware, and it will not let me re-flash.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
FrayAdjacent

I'm trying Sony's chat support right now. We'll see what comes of it.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
FrayAdjacent

SUCCESS!

The Sony tech sent me to this document, and the procedure worked! It's out of Demo Mode!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent View Post
SUCCESS!

The Sony tech sent me to this document, and the procedure worked! It's out of Demo Mode!

Congratulations on your new, and working, Sony Reader!

And forsooth! --- No one bothered to welcome you to MobileRead, so let me redress that right now, FrayAdjacent:

WELCOME TO MOBILEREAD!
You'll find both sane and crazy people here - some snoozing and some wide-awake! You'll also find a ton of free, public domain books, a lot of discussion about different Ebook Readers, a lot of opinions, and some entertaining news as well.

HAVE FUN!

Don (moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-04-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent View Post
SUCCESS!

Just in case someone else needs this information, this is the help page contents..

Quote:
How to perform a hard reset on the Reader.
Solution

WARNING: A hard reset will erase all transferred content on the Reader. It will not erase the built-in dictionary.

1. Power off the Reader.
2. On the bottom edge of the Reader, using the stylus, press the RESET button.
3. Turn on the Reader.
4. While the screen displays Opening book... , simultaneously press and hold down the back [FIG. 2] button and the VOL + button until the Reset All screen is displayed.

NOTE: If Opening book... does not display on the screen, charge the Reader's battery for several hours before attempting the reset process again.
5. Touch Yes to reset the Reader.
Welcome to MR and so glad you were able to get your 600 out of demo mode..
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
FrayAdjacent

Yes, I hope my problem and this post will be helpful to future 600 owners. It's a simple fix.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Did you find a source for a replacement stylus?
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
FrayAdjacent

Not yet... I did a cursory search and found a place that had something, but it was said to only work with the 500 or 505.