Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
The new Nook 7" would be my choice to mess wiith given its specs versus the SGP for the price. Its light for its size and not much bigger where its clumsy to use.

No Play Store but I have other toys for that. Thinking about upgrading the kfhd. Wish these toys did not come out so fast.
So true too many toys not enough....time or money.

SGP5 is my ideal tablet because it's 5". I think 7" is too big for portability. My case is arriving today. So I can finally travel with it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #32
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
So true too many toys not enough....time or money.

SGP5 is my ideal tablet because it's 5". I think 7" is too big for portability. My case is arriving today. So I can finally travel with it.
Have you done much reading on it yet? I always liked the 5" Sony PRS-350 eInk reader I had as it was about the perfect size for carrying around. But the 5" devices like your SGP5 are even smaller overall due to less bezel. I always thought a 5" phone screen would be about perfect for reading in the doctor's office or other places where you find yourself waiting with little else to do. My Motorola Atrix has a 4" screen about the same as the new iPhone5 and although it works okay with the Kindle app it would be nice to have a 5" screen!

EDIT: My phone screen is widescreen (16 x 9) and that is really too narrow for reading as I get so few words per line. Would love to have a 5" screen in 4 x 3 format.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-08-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #33
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Have you done much reading on it yet? I always liked the 5" Sony PRS-350 eInk reader I had as it was about the perfect size for carrying around. But the 5" devices like your SGP5 are even smaller overall due to less bezel. I always thought a 5" phone screen would be about perfect for reading in the doctor's office or other places where you find yourself waiting with little else to do. My Motorola Atrix has a 4" screen about the same as the new iPhone5 and although it works okay with the Kindle app it would be nice to have a 5" screen!

EDIT: My phone screen is widescreen (16 x 9) and that is really too narrow for reading as I get so few words per line. Would love to have a 5" screen in 4 x 3 format.

It depends how picky you are on clarity of text. It comes nothing close to the Kindle Fire's screen. I think my phone which is 3.2" is just a bit better on text but with a few tweaks I've fixed most of the issues. I think Flip Font is to blame on how text is rendered on the SGP5.

However the Kindle app and Mantano don't seem to suffer as they use their own fonts but reading on browsers or other apps you have to deal with this issue. I've installed a few flip fonts and found one that helps the text looks much more readable. I don't think it's the screen as everything else looks amazing graphic wise.

Personally I love my little tablet and find it perfect for reading anywhere in any room setting with Screen Dim. I haven't tried outside yet though.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #34
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I'm wondering if I should get this or the nexus 7. One thing I'd like to know is if you can connect a usb to it to expand the memory?
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Myself I'm a LG fan. The durability of LG phones makes it my choice of brand.
The Nexus 4 is an LG.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #36
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I'm wondering if I should get this or the nexus 7. One thing I'd like to know is if you can connect a usb to it to expand the memory?
Nexus 7 would probably be better unless you just want something to carry around with you like I do.

It has a MicroSD Card expansion slot so you can add more space that way. You can connect to a PC using the special USB cable it comes with. Samsung is very picky and no other usb cable or charger will work with it even though it's MicroUSB. I'm currently looking for an additional charger for downstairs. I thought the days for special cables were over. *huff*
Old 11-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #37
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Nexus 7 would probably be better unless you just want something to carry around with you like I do.

It has a MicroSD Card expansion slot so you can add more space that way. You can connect to a PC using the special USB cable it comes with. Samsung is very picky and no other usb cable or charger will work with it even though it's MicroUSB. I'm currently looking for an additional charger for downstairs. I thought the days for special cables were over. *huff*
Is the nexus 7 screen as good as the Fire HD though? I want a 10.1" tablet the 7" is okay, but need bigger. Old tired eyes need to be able to enlarge the print.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Really? I have a Galaxy Player 4.0 and use generic wall chargers and cables to charge it. It charges up just as fast as the charger and cable that came with it. Is the SGP5 really that different?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #39
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Really? I have a Galaxy Player 4.0 and use generic wall chargers and cables to charge it. It charges up just as fast as the charger and cable that came with it. Is the SGP5 really that different?
Yeah I read that SGP4 does not have this problem. The SGP5 is pinned. SGP4 has a removable battery the SGP5 does not. I think I've found one for under $10.

Well what do you know for the heck of it I just tried one of my Kindle cables and it connected and it works! I must of tried every other charger. I keep my Kindle cables put up because I have tons of other chargers that I use to charge them. Well at least it works. Look like I need to buy another adapter for it.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #40
jswinden
Nameless Being

Am I correct in assuming the Fire HD 7" does NOT have USB host capability? I think the Nexus 7 does. That was the one reason I briefly considered the Nexus 7. There is a camera control app that would work with my Canon EOS 60D dSLR, but of course the Android device has to have USB host capability and I would need an On-the-Go cable too.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #41
jswinden
Nameless Being

Hey Blossom, I've noticed something cool with the Fire HD which I never noticed with the original Fire. I can attach an APK to a gmail and send it to my Fire HD. In the email app on the Fire HD I open the gmail, click once on the attached APK and it downloads, then click on it a 2nd time and it opens a screen asking if I want to install it. The original fire might have done this too, but I cannot remember. Anyway, it is much simpler than side loading an APK, opening ES File Browser, and installing that way. I also noticed that if I go through 4share.com I can download an APK and pretty much just have to click install too. Was it that easy on the original Fire?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Was it that easy on the original Fire?
Yes. I use Dropbox and it does the same thing. I never have to use ES File Explorer once I get Dropbox installed for apps.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-08-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #43
lsmoore43
lsmoore43 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kobo readers
Quote:
I didn't realize the Nook didn't rotate. All my Android Devices do that.
I'm sorry. The Nook Color does rotate, I meant the Kindle rotates in all 4 directions vs the Nook only landscape and portrait. I am very sorry about the misunderstanding. It was a bad mistake on my part and I do love my Nook Color and can do a lot on it. I go online and it is very easy to use but the Kindle Fire HD does much more. If I could use it to talk on I would love it even more. lol I don't like Skype so it needs to offer another talk version to use also.. Sorry again Blossom. I was not being clear enough. My bad.. I got the Nook Color for an Anniversary gift last year and the Kindle Fire HD for an Anniversary gift this year and do love them both. I read more on my Nook and use the Kindle for other things and read from it too. lol
lsmoore43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #44
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
@ Sirmaru, you sold me but I'm holding out for the bigger one. Thanks for your input!
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmoore43 View Post
I'm sorry. The Nook Color does rotate, I meant the Kindle rotates in all 4 directions vs the Nook only landscape and portrait. I am very sorry about the misunderstanding. It was a bad mistake on my part and I do love my Nook Color and can do a lot on it. I go online and it is very easy to use but the Kindle Fire HD does much more. If I could use it to talk on I would love it even more. lol I don't like Skype so it needs to offer another talk version to use also.. Sorry again Blossom. I was not being clear enough. My bad.. I got the Nook Color for an Anniversary gift last year and the Kindle Fire HD for an Anniversary gift this year and do love them both. I read more on my Nook and use the Kindle for other things and read from it too. lol
You can sideload any app on the KFHD you're not stuck with Skype or what's available in the Amazon App Store. Compatibility will vary but most Talk apps should work.