Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
Bucephalus
Bucephalus began at the beginning.

Device: PBook301
About DRM

Heard that the UK and USA firmware in Pocket Book are DRM free.
???
Bucephalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
No. The US version (and reportedly all versions) supports ADOBE ADEPT server DRM.
*If* you want to throw your money in that direction, you can buy DRM'ed books from any Adobe ADE-supporting vendor. Just be careful to keep track of the number of activations on your ADE account.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucephalus View Post
Heard that the UK and USA firmware in Pocket Book are DRM free.
???
Pocketbook is supporting Adobe DRM but keeps its software open for most of the other formats. We prefer open formats as a company policy. But, as fj has put so nicely, you may buy DRM-ePubs whenever the mood hits you.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
Bucephalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
No. The US version (and reportedly all versions) supports ADOBE ADEPT server DRM.
*If* you want to throw your money in that direction, you can buy DRM'ed books from any Adobe ADE-supporting vendor. Just be careful to keep track of the number of activations on your ADE account.
I don't

Where do you download ebooks?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
I don't

Do you know baen.com or fictionwise.com(multiformat)?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't

Try post #4 from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76565
Old 03-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
batgirl
Enthusiast
batgirl doesn't litterbatgirl doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook360
I for one appreciate DRM support on PocketBook. I hate DRM but it means that I can check out ebooks for free from my library without having to circumvent it. As a librarian, I find this a plus. Breaking DRM on books I own for my own use is one thing, but breaking DRM on a library book feels like stealing from the library.
batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl View Post
I for one appreciate DRM support on PocketBook. I hate DRM but it means that I can check out ebooks for free from my library without having to circumvent it. As a librarian, I find this a plus. Breaking DRM on books I own for my own use is one thing, but breaking DRM on a library book feels like stealing from the library.
I do break the DRM on library eBooks so I can fix the poor formatting. That's a big problem these days. It puts my off when the formatting is really poor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:57 AM   #9
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
recently we (PocketBook-USA) were on one of the trade shows, called "Publishing Business"... To my sheer surprise, publishers and near-publishing community, present at this show, were absolutely not-knowledgeable about e-readers, ebooks and e-reading in general...
The most frequent question was - 'were do I get the books from' and mentioning any other resource than Amazon, led people to glassy-eyed reaction: 'Huh?' "what online ebook stores?"....
THEY DID NOT KNOW about existing of anything else apart "YouKnowWho"....
The fact that there are "open" formats\devices... was something like from another planet...
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:42 AM   #10
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Which is a success for Amazon. However the spotlight for eBooks will come this year and the next, as iPad and other devices come.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:35 AM   #11
Bucephalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Do you know baen.com or fictionwise.com(multiformat)?
Now I know Thanks!
Old 03-12-2010, 06:36 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
recently we (PocketBook-USA) were on one of the trade shows, called "Publishing Business"... To my sheer surprise, publishers and near-publishing community, present at this show, were absolutely not-knowledgeable about e-readers, ebooks and e-reading in general...
Hate to break it to you but the folks that run or work at most of the "Big Publishing Houses" (BPHs) are stuck in the 19th century. Totally clueless about matters of technology, consumer affairs, economics and pricing theory, or ebooks, for that matter. As near as I can tell, at some of the Manhattan glass towers, they still use floppies as storage media, sneakernet as document management, and desktop PCs (probably 286s) with mounted FTP folders as shared repositories. (And no, I'm not joking.)

This is a long recurring subject over at Teleread.org where, btw, they yesterday posted an amazing interview with the head of Baen Publishing, the *one* (midsized) Publisher that truly gets all of the above. They've been doing ebooks the right way since the last century. Might want to check it out to get the sour taste out of your mouth.

A good site to visit for anybody interested in ebooks and modern day publishing issues, btw.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #13
Jelena
Jelena began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 301
Quote:
To my sheer surprise, publishers and near-publishing community, present at this show, were absolutely not-knowledgeable about e-readers, ebooks and e-reading in general...
Yar, we as PocketBook Baltics were participating in Book Fair 2010 in Latvia. The same situation. Publishers organized big discussion with our National Library - and in the beginning they had no idea about formats, about ereaders attached to stores and free ereaders. About the idea of DRM books. Why it is so?

And the difference is that there are private libraries, already knowing about all the things and moving forward.
Jelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #14
batgirl
Enthusiast
batgirl doesn't litterbatgirl doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook360
Will PocketBook in the US be participating in BookExpo America. Beyond being the big publishing trade show, it is also a big draw for librarians. Overdrive, which is the big provider for e-content for libraries, will be there. Right now, as far as I know, only Sony has positioned itself as a library-friendly device. Looks like they will be there.

I love my PocketBook 360 and would love to see you get more exposure here in the US. I'm going to the show and will have my PB360 in hand while I wait in those long autographing lines.

Added: Looks like the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF) is partnering with BookExpo America this year. http://www.idpf.org/digitalbook2010/default.htm

Last edited by batgirl; 03-12-2010 at 11:10 AM.
batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:50 AM   #15
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
The most frequent question was - 'were do I get the books from' and mentioning any other resource than Amazon, led people to glassy-eyed reaction: 'Huh?' "what online ebook stores?"....
THEY DID NOT KNOW about existing of anything else apart "YouKnowWho"....
The fact that there are "open" formats\devices... was something like from another planet...

I felt the same way before I found Mobileread. I wanted a Sony because I knew it read more formats than a Kindle, and I didn't want to be tied down to only buying from Amazon (that isn't the case but this is what I thought at the time). I knew it could read PDFs which I thought was cool even though I didn't own any. I've noticed that people who don't own an ebook reader really have no reason to care about stuff like this. Amazon markets the Kindle up in everyone's face so well that that's the first thing that comes to mind.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote