Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
cathaven
cathaven began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4.1.1
Length of filename limitations in library

I find that the filenames of books with long titles, or more than one author are truncated in the library. This is no problem when working within Calibre, but if I want to send an ebook I made to someone, I have to make a copy & edit the filename by hand.
Is it possible to remove, or at least extend this limitation?
cathaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathaven View Post
I find that the filenames of books with long titles, or more than one author are truncated in the library. This is no problem when working within Calibre, but if I want to send an ebook I made to someone, I have to make a copy & edit the filename by hand.
Is it possible to remove, or at least extend this limitation?
Some file systems have path length issues.
Calibre tries to work with all OS.
There should be no need for Metadata as a filename. Metadata is stored IN the book for many formats
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
How are you getting the books ready to send to your friend? You should not be copying them directly from the Calibre library, but instead using the "Save to Disk" option to export them from the library.

As well as giving more control over the format of filenames that method also has different restriction on filename length It also updates metadata/covers to the current settings in Calibre which copying directly from within the library does not do.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #4
Dr.Araganto
Dr.Araganto began at the beginning.

Device: none
I was looking for an answer to this as well. If you found one, please let me know.
Dr.Araganto is offline   Reply With Quote