Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Wait or go for it?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade from my (still functional) PRS505. The thing is a tank and has lasted me many years but I am very much tempted by the pearl screens.

I think I will stick with Sony even though they are a little pricier, I love the build quality and PRS+ is an awesome project.

So, any new devices looming on the horizon? Has there been any news or leaks? Do you guys think I should just grab a 650 (or 350) if I see a good deal or just wait to see what happens?

Thanks.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
I would wait to see what happens. There are rumors that Sony is abandoning the Reader (at least in the USA). There are rumors about the opposite, etc.

I'm so appalled by the lack of support (I still can't find the unlighted cover) that if I were hunting a new device I would consider other options and/or wait awhile. Of course, one needs to set a limit or one would never buy anything

And don't misunderstand me. The PRS650 is a fine piece. I've seen the PRS600 and its screen is not match to the pearl screen. And the kindle 3 built looks cheap when compared with the 650. And finally, I should admit that I'm very happy with my 650

Last edited by encapuchado; 06-08-2011 at 01:55 PM.
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
And the opposing point of view, I'd opt to go grab a 350 right now, or a 650 if you can find it anywhere if you'd prefer the 6" screen (though I'm partial to the extreme compact size and portability of the 350 for myself). If Sony comes out with new models, it probably won't be until the end of the year towards Christmas to cash in on the season's sales, and you could have already spent the summer and fall reading dozens of books by then. And if they choose to abandon the ereader (which I think is unlikely), you'll have one of the best readers available. Waiting to see if that happens means you'll be unlikely to find even a 350 at that point.

Like you at one point I was tempted to wait with rumors of new screens, new readers, etc... and instead of still waiting, I've been happily reading nonstop for the last 6 months on my 350. At the sale price of $119 right now, I don't think you can beat the price and quality of it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Based on past history, it is likely but not guaranteed that Sony will release new models in October/November. Can you wait that long? That is up to you. I don't think that $120 price for the 350 is going to go back up...

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have a 505 and a 650. If you're happy with your 505, I think you'd be extremely happy with either the 350 or the 650. I say go for it!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Go for it, it is a new dimension! The 650 is in stock on the SonyWebsite and the 350 is a steal right now in the US. We still pay 179€ that's $262
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
The 300/600 came out in early September 2010, so 3 months away is possible. I'd wait.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
The 300/600 came out in early September 2010, so 3 months away is possible. I'd wait.
This is wrong. The 300/600 were released in 09/2009. And the x50 at the end of August in 2010.

Typically new Sonys in September
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
If you think you could be happy with a 5", I'd say grab the 350 now, on sale. For a 6", I'd sit tight and await developments.

For me, the 350 is fabulous for on the go reading. In the long run, I see myself with a 5" and a 7" reader, one for the road, one for at home. The 6" size is a compromise--and there's nothing wrong with that, if that's what works for you. I still use my Nook for reading at home, but once it dies, I won't get another 6" reader.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
This is wrong. The 300/600 were released in 09/2009. And the x50 at the end of August in 2010.
Just a mental typo. I bought my PRS-300 in early October 2009.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I'd say go for it. There is no guarantee that a newer reader from Sony this fall will be exactly what you want and the x50 series is mighty nice! They might add features, they might subtract. The new Nook reader by Barnes & Noble got additions and subtractions, so you never know.

Further, if you catch a good deal, the resale value seems decent on eBay for the x50 models, in case Sony comes through with a new model and you want to upgrade. Me, I'm very happy to have my 950 now... if Sony produces something even better this fall, well, I'll worry about that later.

Last edited by graycyn; 06-08-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: changed a couple sentences
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I am in the same position, Rahulm. I love my PRS 505, but the Pearl screen looks really nice. The thing that stops me is that I am broke, and that they are out of stock at Sony.se. But my sister have muttered something about NY in september. So, I'll wait and see.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

So I tried out the 350 at Best Buy, and while it is very sharp, I think it is too small for me.

I usually do all my reading at home and I'd prefer more text on the screen in the font size that I prefer.

That being said, the 650 is too pricey at the moment (unfortunately) so I think I will wait to see what happens.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #14
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
man am I glad I drove down to Amherst BestBuy to get my Sony PRS 950 two weeks after it came out. Then I got the light cover from B&H Photo shortly before it got discontinued.

While there's no doubt that Sony's Hardware stands as the best out there, It's clear Sony doesn't care about this market, if I had to judge by their track record, I'd say get 'em before they're gone.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #15
rahulm
Zealot

Been reading about the Nook Touch and it's looking very good to me.

It's 6 inch and under 200 bucks so it's perfect. I'm going to do some more research to make sure it doesn't have any glaring flaws.

EDIT: Kobo Touch looks great too.

Ugh, so confused now.

EDIT2: The Nook Touch is PERFECT for me. Unfortunately, it isn't available in Canada. Awesome.

Last edited by rahulm; 06-10-2011 at 01:48 AM.