Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

View Poll Results: What's the next target format calibre should support?
Mobipocket -- it's the most popular. 65 70.65%
eReader -- there are many tools for Mobipocket already. 16 17.39%
Something else -- I'll let you know what in a comment. 11 11.96%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #31
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
well with all this talk about calibre, I decided to give it another try.
I was too dumb to figure it out the first time around
So now I actually realize, this is on the verge of becoming an iTunes-style organizational tool for my books.

But, I can only select LRF or ePUB output in the Mac version.
Since I still read with mobipocket on my p1i, I'd tend to support PRC/mobi.
But if Mobipocket is going to keep resisting us Mac users, then I'll change my allegiance to eReader
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #32
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
Take a look at the attached epub file. It was produced using feeds2epub from command line.
Yeah, the issue is purely one of the available fonts having the necessary glyphs, which the AdobeDE default fonts do not. I've attached a version in which I've embedded TeX Gyre Termes for comparison.

Calibre does not yet support direct font embedding, but you can use CSS tricks to make it use a font you just copy onto the via-USB-mountable portion of the device filesystem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
I was thinking that by specifying everything un UTF-32, assuming that the font is also unicode, we will have character match 1-1 and than it should display everything correctly.
Ah, I see. It doesn't quite work that way. The encoding just specifies the on-disk format. Using Unicode, as long as the content creator and consumer agree on and support the encoding, the rendering software will identify the same characters in the input regardless of the encoding used.
Attached Files
File Type: epub B92.epub (748.3 KB, 227 views)
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #33
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I tried that option (specifying fonts in css) but it only works with actual downloaded pages. It is not applied to the toc and index pages and furthermore rendering of the layout is inferior compared to lrf. I guess I'll stick with lrf until epub support improves.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #34
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Calibre does not yet support direct font embedding, but you can use CSS tricks to make it use a font you just copy onto the via-USB-mountable portion of the device filesystem.
nice, i was just wondering about precisely that ! can you exlain exactly where to put the fonts on a 700, and what css tricks to use ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #35
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
nice, i was just wondering about precisely that ! can you exlain exactly where to put the fonts on a 700, and what css tricks to use ?
Here's what I believe was the original thread on Sony Reader EPUB external font references.
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #36
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
thanks !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
But, I can only select LRF or ePUB output in the Mac version.
Not true. In the "save single file format" you can select any of the selected formats. Then when you choose "Save only XXX format to disk" it will only same the selected format. The message will display whatever format you have selected. You can use "Save to disk" to put the books on your reader.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #38
theodoron
Inspector Gadget
theodoron began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700BC
Since I am new and have not experienced all of the formats, I would vote for Mobi. I love Calibre and found about it on this forum. A straight conversion from PRC/Mobi to LRF would be great.
theodoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:10 AM   #39
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
FB2 format for Calibre - please!

How about FB2 (FictionBook 2) format - so many great readers are able to handle this format, either intrinsically (e.g. BeBook) or with easy add-in software (e.g. iLiad/DR1000).

FB2 is a great XML-based format that allows some nice formatting, handles images (so good for tecxt books), and the reader implementations tend to have very nice formatting and font choice/sizing options, making it easy for everyone to tailor their display to suit personal preferences (something which even the best Mobi implementations (e.g. iLiad) really do not offer).

And FB2 is a great choice with the improvements and wider acceptance of open source eReader firmware alternatives such as OpenInkpot.

And as a Mac user I would like a great Mac OS X tool for creating good FB2 format eBooks (I like BookDesigner4 at the moment, but have to run it under Windows using VMWare Fusion).

But I'm guessing there'll only be a few of us hardcore FB2 fanatics, so my second choice would be MOBI - great format for releasing the DRM and for wide selection of titles, crap format for reader implementations - even good reader implementations (e.g. on DR1000S) are pretty lame compared to what many other readers can do.

Last edited by orwell2k; 12-22-2008 at 06:19 AM.
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #40
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I vote for the ability to convert lrf, mobi, and lit to html and rtf. That way I can enjoy the the books uploaded to Mobileread on my Android phone.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #41
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you are using Windows, then you can get LIT and LRF converters that will output HTML and RTF for free from http://www.processtext.com/

LRF to HTML is also supported by calibre if you use the Command Line interface.

Last edited by itimpi; 12-22-2008 at 11:21 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #42
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
I vote for the ability to convert lrf, mobi, and lit to html and rtf. That way I can enjoy the the books uploaded to Mobileread on my Android phone.
This poll is for what format Calibre should convert *to* next. Calibre can already convert *from* all those formats to HTML, although lrf2html is a touch rocky.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
lrf2html in calibre is incomplete and does not work at all at the moment.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #44
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn

I probably should have put a time-out on this poll... Anyway, recount is finished and Mobipocket it is. Especially since I've already started working on it .
Old 12-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I would like is a well written lrf2html.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote