Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Kirk is real!

I have proof positive that James Tiberius Kirk, Captain of USS Enterprise is real. Just bear with me here.

So, I have a Kindle. I live in La Crosse, WI, population about 200,000 all told. Kindle has Sprint wireless as the engine to get books downloaded direct to it from Amazon.

If you go to the Amazon site and look around enough, there is a map that shows coverage for Whispernet and what sort of quality you can expect from it. On the map orange is good (EVDO) green is okay (+1) and white is right out.

La Crosse, population around 200K is green, with a lot of white all around it. The kindle works fine, and I have no problems with it.

Now, the proof:

I am going home to Washington, IA, population about 5,000 when the wind is in the right direction and there's not a good movie on in Iowa City. It is the County Seat of Washington County.

I wanted to take my Kindle along and show off to my sibs what a cool toy it is, so I checked the coverage, thinking that it would be highly uncool to show how badly the device work when there is no signal.

Fully expecting there to be gobs of white space all over that part of Iowa, I logged on. Yes, there are areas of Iowa that have no coverage, and a lot of green with a blobs of orange aorund Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, the Quad Cities, and Des Moines.

And a little orange blob right in Washington County. Now, bear in mind that Washington did not have touch tone phones as late as 1983, when I graduated med school. My mom does not own a computer. She gets upset at the complexity of her new cell phone (it has a camera!) She is very prototypical of Washingtonians.

SO WHY THE FAR DOES WASHINGTON COUNTY HAVE EVDO AND I GOTTA PUT UP WITH 1+???!!??!

Here's proof that James Kirk will exist: In the "biography" of Kirk, written when the original series was on TV, they threw out that he was "born and rasied on his uncle's farm, in Iowa. Later, as a publicity stunt, Riverside, Iowa, (Washington County) declared itself the "Future Birthplace of Captain Kirk." Shatner even did a reality show there once.

A little Podunk type town in the middle of farking nowhere has advanced reception for the Kindle before vast tracts of population. Coincidence? I don't think so. The reason that Capt Kirk is destined to be who is will be is that he is going to be born in an anomolous site of advanced technology.

Last edited by pshrynk; 06-26-2008 at 05:44 PM.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'm convinced.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Have you been sniffing the gasahol again?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Makes perfect sense to me ....
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150

Well, I can't argue with that.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
well...that settles that. Now I can go back to reading
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Sure was, erm...what was the topic about - again...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The main question seems to be: in which part of Iowa will you be showing off the Kindle? The orange, the green, or the white bit?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
The main question seems to be: in which part of Iowa will you be showing off the Kindle? The orange, the green, or the white bit?
The orange bit, out in the middle of no where. Who has EVDO inthe middle of no where? C'mon, people! This is significant!

chirp chirp chirp
Old 06-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post

chirp chirp chirp
do you hear crickets ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
BTW, Shatner is banking on his Boston Legal rep lately. The commercial for the Sokolov law firm - "Call the Hurtline at 1-800 Hurtline" or something to that effect. I wish they had stood him there in a Star Trek outfit when he made the commercial!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
The orange bit, out in the middle of no where. Who has EVDO inthe middle of no where? C'mon, people! This is significant!

chirp chirp chirp
I live in the middle of nowhere and we're in an orange bit.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I live in the middle of nowhere and we're in an orange bit.
Archer is supposed to be from Texas, right? Right? Am I right? This is huge!

REAL! HE'S REAL, I TELL YOU!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Old 06-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Archer is supposed to be from Texas, right? Right? Am I right? This is huge!

REAL! HE'S REAL, I TELL YOU!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Nope .... born in upstate New York, and went to Stanford. Sorry, Doc.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
pshrynk

Oh.

Well that's all right then.

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness