Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-13-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Yea, You're Being Watched

You can stop wondering. A new study has confirmed what many cubicle dwellers have long suspected: Many companies, maybe even yours, are monitoring outgoing e-mails.

According to a new survey conducted by Forrester Consulting and sponsored by Proofpoint Inc., a company that makes anti-spam and mail filtering software, over 43% of corporations with more than 20,000 employees employ personnel to monitor and read their staff's outbound e-mail.

The survey of 140 corporate decision-makers found that companies are concerned about employees leaking sensitive information via e-mail, which ranked as the biggest reason behind the snooping policy.

The survey comes on the heels of a recent federal court ruling which held that it is perfectly legal for ISPs to read and copy the inbound e-mail of their clients. The ruling , by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit in Boston, held that e-mail does not enjoy the same eavesdropping protections as telephone conversations, because it is stored on servers before being routed to recipients. (Excellent op/eds here and here)

Word up: America Online, EarthLink, and Yahoo all have privacy policies prohibiting them from reading customer e-mail, except in the case of a court order.

If it's sensitive, protect it. Don't use the bossman's server.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:38 AM   #2
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
If you're really concerned there's always webmail. Also there are many free implementations of PGP that can be used with nearly any email program for encryption. No one has the time to crack that, unless they are really sure you've got something they want.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2004, 05:34 PM   #3
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Um, yea, that's why I suggested Yahoo, etc.

Truth be told, I used to work for a Fortune 100 that employed this practice. If they're paying someone to scan, filter, or read your email, that same person would have plenty of time to try and crack your encryption and the co. would wonder why you have it.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:39 PM   #4
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
While I can understand the desire for privacy, I also understand that while I'm on company time, and on company resources, I need to watch out for the COMPANY's interests. This also means that "my email", as hosted by my employer, is not technically "mine". It's a name, on loan to me to help me do the job for which the employer is paying me for.

In short, I shouldn't be using it for non-work related items anyway.

As for using company email to send out confidential info to outside corporate spies. That's just stupid. Egads.

/shrug/

Don't know what to say on this one, except that I'm not REALLY all that shocked and surprised. 1984, anyone?
derekweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:09 PM   #5
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Scary... I think I should stop using my work e-mail address for private matters... ;(
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2004, 04:27 PM   #6
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

derekweb: It has as much to do with the company's desire to protect the employees as it is to protect themselves. Laws like HIPAA (medical privacy) incure liability on all sides, particularly for HR staff.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
The Cod Father
Enthusiast
The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: KOBO. Kobo Aura
here is a thought , when you are at work than DO YOUR WORK . You can't have someone spying on your private doings if you are not doing anything private where you shouldn't be ...
The Cod Father is offline   Reply With Quote