Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #46
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
That's odd. I've never had it parse something that I've loaded through ConnSoft, and it always parsed everything I loaded via the card -- something else must be going on there, athlonkmf, but I'm at a loss as to what.
I finally gotten around to test my claim, and you're right, when using the connect software to move files around, there is indeed no need for parsing anymore.

Actually I had to use the connectreader to upload becase the reader couldn't parse it on it's own it seemed. I was actually testing FAT32-SDcards and for some reason the parsing takes longer than with FAT-formatted cards.

Anyhow. That's because I've ordered a 4GB card just to test things out. I'd receive that next week, so I was just testing if the reader supports FAT32. If so, the chance that the 4GB-card could work is higher. Well, we'll see. I believe i'm the only one around who could actually test the 4GB limit correctly, since my ebooks-collection now is 4GB
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:19 PM   #47
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Anyhow. That's because I've ordered a 4GB card just to test things out. I'd receive that next week, so I was just testing if the reader supports FAT32. If so, the chance that the 4GB-card could work is higher. Well, we'll see. I believe i'm the only one around who could actually test the 4GB limit correctly, since my ebooks-collection now is 4GB
One of the wiki pages has card compatibility info.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2007, 09:33 PM   #48
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
One of the wiki pages has card compatibility info.
I know, i've read it already, but those 4GB cards, although it was mentioned that the reader could read them, never got verified that they're fully readable.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #49
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
We've had a discussion (possibly several) around here some time back on that topic. The bottom line seems to be that it'll handle a 4GB SD card, but it will only read the first 2GB. Which is kinda annoying, but it's also what Sony spec'ed, so I don't guess we have too much room to fuss.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:39 AM   #50
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Yes, the Reader only handles 2G SD cards. If you use a Sony Memory Stick you might be able to use a 4G, but I have never tried it. The 4G SD cards are either SDHD cards, a newer standard, or require special handling by an ordinary SD device in order to see all of the SD memory. The Reader doesn't support 4G. For a no-tears solution, stick with 2G. It is plenty large anyway.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2007, 03:40 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's the one. It wasn't anywhere near $300 - I think he paid about £70 ($140) for it. It connects to the Pocket PC by Bluetooth. Works great, as I say!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #52
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's the one. It wasn't anywhere near $300 - I think he paid about £70 ($140) for it. It connects to the Pocket PC by Bluetooth. Works great, as I say!
Huh?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #53
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Huh?
Most likely HarryT reffers to your reply to me:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=44
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #54
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Ah yes, the ever popular projected virtual keyboard. The first time I saw this was in a show called "CSI: Miami" where they tried to figure out what the person wrote from the smudges on the desk where the keyboard was projected. Slick, but over priced.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Huh?
Sorry - I seem to have overlooked a page in the topic; yes, it was the laser-projected virtual keyboard that you posted a link to that I was referring to.

Apologies for the confusion .
Old 06-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Ah yes, the ever popular projected virtual keyboard. The first time I saw this was in a show called "CSI: Miami" where they tried to figure out what the person wrote from the smudges on the desk where the keyboard was projected. Slick, but over priced.
Overpriced for a PC keyboard yes, but not for an "add-on" keyboard for a Palm or Pocket PC; it's about the same price as the "physical" fold-up Bluetooth external keyboards for those.

... and a GREAT way to impress people when you turn up for a meeting and switch it on .

They are pretty much the "ultimate cool" in gadgets, IMHO. I have a perfectly good fold-up keyboard for my Pocket PC, but I think I'm going to buy one of the laser ones simply because - well, because. They are SO cool!
Old 06-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #57
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
A compelling upgrade to the Sony Reader for me would feature:
  1. Native drag-and-drop via Windows Explorer, with standard file/folder directories. No proprietary file management.
  2. Higher contrast for a truly paper-white background and jet-black text
  3. Bluetooth for document transfer and VCard synchronization
  4. A PIM, as implied by the previous feature
  5. Onboard document deletion, or a button to mark for deletion on synch
  6. Native HTML support
  7. Native HTML support
  8. Almost forgot: native HTML support
  9. Proxyless RSS
  10. Better button placement, as Xenophon said. The upper paging buttons should by moved from the center of the edge to the upper third or higher, closer to where the thumb naturally rests. And they should be tapered rather than sharp-edged. The bottom page button on the same side, IMO, is useless, requiring either a contortion of the left thumb to access or an assist from the opposite hand that's not holding the device. Since page turning is far more frequent than page/menu navigation, the button and joystick positions should be swapped.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I defiantly do not want any compatibility with vcard or Outlook (express or not). That would be a reason not to purchase the device.

wifi suport would be nice so I could go someplace wifi capable and get online. The support for a keyboard and mouse would be nice.

The iLiad is sorta almost there. But it would need some hardwaqre and software upgrades. Like an A4 (for PDF) screen, keyboard and mouse ports, the newer faster better contrast screen in A4 size resolution. Faster processor with better battery management. Maybe two batteries. One to run some parts of it and some to run others. Support for LRF, LIT, PDB would be good to get it out there for readers.

And a price tag of no more then $500. Less if possible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:30 PM   #59
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry - I seem to have overlooked a page in the topic; yes, it was the laser-projected virtual keyboard that you posted a link to that I was referring to.

Apologies for the confusion .
Ah, yes. That would make sense. Don't worry about confusing me, I've grown used to being confused -- clarity is over-rated.

My excuse this time was that I had just waked up, otherwise I might have figured it out.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #60
clabot451
clabot451 began at the beginning.

Device: nintendods - motofonef3 - samsungz560
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Let's assume all of you have JUST paid big bucks for an ebook device like the sony reader or the irex.

So... if a company now announce that within this year, they will beginning to sell a new ebook device...
What kind of features does this device needs to have at what price in order to lure you to buy it instantly?
E-paper technology - double a4 touchscreen display - 32 levels of gray - 65k colours - wifi - bluetooth - long duration battery (12k pages) - faster refresh rates (less than 0,15 sec) - no built-in drm - universal reader upgradable - lightweight - 4 giga built-in memory - expansion ports - 25:1 contrat ratio - target price 400 euros:

Last edited by clabot451; 06-18-2007 at 07:07 PM. Reason: too many rolleyes
clabot451 is offline   Reply With Quote