Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
apeine
Enthusiast
apeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
Stock and root

Well, now I am truly interested in buying a nook color, but I've got into an argument with my wife, because she says it is a waste of money to buy a e-reader (or tablet) if it doesn't show page number (such as her Kindle 3). Only book bought at Amazon show page number (with the last update installed). We are both doing our Master degree (her is education and mine in engineering), and most of the books provided by our professors are in PDF or epub format (articles or reference books).
So, now the question is: Does any stock or root reader on nook color show page number, either in PDF (which I believe it wouldn't be a problem at all) or in epub format? Without that, we can't refer to a specific item in our readings.
apeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
HeyYou
Interested in everything!
HeyYou began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Nook Color
Page numbers are displayed

My Nooks (e-ink and color) both show page numbers, on both BN and sideloaded books. The NC also shows pages on PDF files. I can't confirm that they match the print book page numbers, as I don't have any books in both print and epub.
HeyYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I don't understand. Both my classic nook and color nook show page number in an epub file and I think in a PDF.

Last edited by RAH; 04-03-2011 at 02:42 PM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
apeine
Enthusiast
apeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enough

Just confirming. Page number is a real deal for me, because whenever I mention an specific author (article or book), I have to show page number in it too, and if my professor can't find the page, whatever I write is questionable. Epub and book matching would be nice too, but you can't have everything.
Kindle uses a number that specifies the "chunk" of text you are reading, not a page number.
Thanks for the info!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
As an experiment, I opened a large novel epub on my computer in Adobe Digital Editions, on my Classic Nook and on my Color Nook. The text flow was completely different on the ADE display (the lines were wider). But for a given page (say the start of Chapter 8), all three showed the same page number. So, that pretty much proves that the epub file has real, recognized page breaks and the reflow of the text (depending on the device width, font, etc) has no effect on the page numbers. I was kind of wondering this myself and was not entirely sure till I did this.

However, note that there are "virtual" pages - i.e. depending on your font, a Nook page may encompass say 4 page turns, In other words, as you turn the pages, the page number stays the same for several turns, because you are still on the same page but it won't all fit on the screen so it takes several turns to get to the end of that real page. I guess this is obvious, but you might run into a problem because you will not be able to reliably tell someone which screen of a page particular text will appear. Probably not a problem, however.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If you are masters degrees, I have one in Experimental Psychology/Human Neuropathology, I would recommend a Bookeen or a Kindle DXG, these are large format readers taht make it easier to see the digrams that will enevitably come up in the text. My Nueropathology (the study of the broken brain) text books had a whole lot of diagrams, without seeing the brain cross sections its impossible to learn what goes where.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
apeine
Enthusiast

RAH,

Thanks for the info. I was looking at Nook reader for iphone, and I noticed that even though I turned 4 screen pages, the page number was the same, which was somewhat a proof that page number was kept even on epub format, and your input was a real proof of that. Thanks for the time spent on this.

jbcohen,
I do agree that having a larger screen surely would help me on reading technical material, but I also have a sizing problem. As I comute everyday by train and bus, something heavier and larger in size would be a problem for me. Nook color is the right size for my present needs, as it fits well on my carry-on bag.

Thx ppl.!