Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #61
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The same will happen with this thread. You know it will :P
Yeah it's only a few days old and we're already sidetracked with tool fetishes....

Hope you all had sweet dreams last night.

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #62
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Gosh, I know, we're terrible. I dreamt of covers...No, seriously, I did not. I woke up at 6.30 because my son (13) forgot to unplug his alarm clock for today. I seriously thought of getting him up and all geared for school, and tell him at the last minute "Duh ! it's saturday" .

I know, I'm a bad bad mother.

Last edited by aceflor; 09-14-2013 at 11:18 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #63
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I ordered this cover:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Ultra-...61281774727%26

in purple and it just came in. I am pleased! Some random initial thoughts:

I was worried that it would be more royal purple than the color shown in the photos. It is definitely not royal purple. It is darker than the photo, but that makes the color even more subtle, which is fine by me. Call it aubergine.

It says "PU leather" but it looks and feels nothing like leather. It just feels like plastic. It has a textured surface, which I like, but some part of the texture has a shiny coating, which I don't need.

It is extremely minimalist in profile, which I love. The plastic edges don't add much to the bezel of the screen when you're reading. I didn't want a case that shows a chunky ugly border around the edges of the screen.

The cover folds all the way around the back. Sometimes I find the "naked" PW can cramp my hand so this might be a bit better, to hold on to the thicker part.

I think the magnet will keep the cover closed just fine, but I'm not sure it will consistently turn off the screen. We'll see. I wonder if that would be a lot of battery drain if the screen doesn't turn off. I know it turns itself off at some point anyway.

I have not seen the official slim Amazon cover in person, so I can't compare, but for the price I'm very happy with this product! So far at least (for all of 10 minutes).

eP

ETA: it also came with a screen protector, which I won't use b/c I don't like them in general, and a stylus which was not in the listing. I may use the stylus when I'm eating or putting lotion on my hands. My only complaint is that the stylus is orange and not purple! Am I allowed to complain when they threw it in for free? No? Ok, I'll go away and read, then. I mean work.

Last edited by elemenoP; 09-19-2013 at 01:42 PM.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #64
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
^ Thanks so much for taking the time to post this review. I've been thinking of ordering this and hoping someone would post a review.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #65
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
elemenoP .... Queuearesteeyou?

Thanks for the review. I ordered one that looks the same in shape but is a much more girlie lavender-purple. I really like the feel of the official PW cover, so I was very much hoping that it would feel the same - oh well....

Last edited by xendula; 09-19-2013 at 09:49 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #66
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
I've pre-ordered a PW2 to replace my good ol' K3, but I don't really want to spend another $40 or whatever it is for the "official" cover.

I've read through this thread and see references to a "Googleproducts" cover, but when I (ahem) google "googleproducts" I just get, well Google Products. Does anyone actually have a link so that I could see what y'all are talking about?

Thanks.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #67
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
I've pre-ordered a PW2 to replace my good ol' K3, but I don't really want to spend another $40 or whatever it is for the "official" cover.

I've read through this thread and see references to a "Googleproducts" cover, but when I (ahem) google "googleproducts" I just get, well Google Products. Does anyone actually have a link so that I could see what y'all are talking about?

Thanks.
It's a seller on Ebay who was the first to offer a PW cover that was even slimmer than the original - some of us bought it last year, including myself. The link is in the opening post of this gigantic thread from last year.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #68
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
"Googleproduct" is a seller on eBay. Here you go:

KPW cover "Version 1" (At least, I think so.)
KPW cover choice: "Version 1" (Paperwhite), "Version 2" (Magnet, bad back design), "Version 2A" (Closing Hook, no experience)
KPW Cover "Version 3": Almost a perfect Amazon official rip-off

Personally, I would choose between Version 1 and 3. I've got them both on order, but my version 3 comes from a different seller. For some reason, I wasn't able to find GoogleProduct at the moment I was ordering that.

The review and pictures posted by me in this thread are of Version 1, which has no closing magnet (but the advantage is, to me, that it also has no metal parts). I ordered it from the second link in this post, and chose "Paperwhite" as type, and "Black" as color. (And to be sure, I also added the color in the checkout message, as is stated in the description.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:33 AM   #69
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
If you have strong hands and not too much feeling in your thumbs, you may be able to get the Kindle out by bending one of the corners. Being or becoming a construction worker may be of some help in acquiring said hands.

Using a prying tool is much faster though.
No issues removing the PW from the cheap ebay covers I have using just my hands since finding the right technique take seconds and no need for a prying tool and no I'm not a construction worker Put the Kindle face up, top of device towards you and resting on your stomach, put your thumbs on the bottom corners of the device/case and push down on both at the same time

Last edited by Yolina; 09-20-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #70
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Niiiice! What color do you have it in? Any chance you'd like to post a picture? Is the inside black, like in the video, or grey like in the pics?
Here are a couple of pics. I'm not a very good photographer.

My case is brown and the inside is gray on the left and black on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130920_004.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	111617   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130920_005.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	111618  
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #71
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
It's a seller on Ebay...[/URL].
Quote:
"Googleproduct" is a seller on eBay. ...

Oh, that googleproduct.

So, are all of the knockoffs (is that the right word?) from Asia?

Has anyone tried a TPU cover (or is that a different thread altogether)?
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #72
kledor
dreamer
kledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post

Has anyone tried a TPU cover (or is that a different thread altogether)?
I have a TPU cover on the way, I'd be glad to give you my opinion on it after it arrives (if no one else does it by then)
kledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #73
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Hope this has not been mentioned beore, but last year's slim PW case thread was a bit long.
For those of you looking for a new PW case...

I just ordered this case in pink for $8 on Ebay - don't ask me why- I already have one case too many.....

It looks better than the googleproducts case, because the leather grain is similar to the original case, but the closure sticks out a bit and may thus be in the way.

EDIT: OMG, somebody stop me!!
I just bought this case as well. They have maps on the cover, and are just too darn cheap.

One more - this one is the BEST in terms of color selection!! The colors are to die for... It's more expensive, but seems to be awesome quality and the inside is black!! I am now trying to cancel my first order - I really have a problem
I got the cases today!!! The purple one is goooorgeous, different surface than the green and original case, black velvet on the inside, and the color is just like on Ebay.

The green one is not as lime green as it looked in the pics, so I am a bit bummed about it. The surface is pretty much like on the original PW cover, and the inside is grey.

The map one is - as someone else who ordered one mentioned - all screwed up: the back is the right side up, the front is upside down. Too bad, because it actually has a nice lining that even covers the back casing, and which feels like soft leather.

A picture collage is attached, and the vendor links are in the original post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PicCollage.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	843.0 KB
ID:	111963  

Last edited by xendula; 09-23-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #74
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I am picking two cases today from the post office, will post some pics later.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #75
xendula
eBookworm

Of course, my purple one would now only be $10 instead of the $15 I paid