Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What's my MOBI? (a python tool)

In response to a few requests I've seen for a way to determine exactly what's under the hood of a "mobi" file, I've written a python script that might help. It allows you to select a MOBI, AZW, AZW3, AZW4, PRC file and determine what type of file—exactly—it is. Is it a:

Regular old MOBI?
Or the old, old TEXtREAd format?
Is it a Topaz book?
A Print Replica?
Or maybe it's the shiny new KF8 format?
Or is it both... a hybrid MOBI/KF8 book?

It should just "work" on Linux or OSX since Python with Tkinter comes standard. Windows will of course have to have Python installed. A default ActiveState Python installation should have everything necessary (TKinter) to run it. I haven't verified everything, but I see no reason that it shouldn't work for Python 2.6 or 2.7 (maybe even 2.5, but someone else will have to test that). It's not overly fancy because I wanted it to work "out of the box" without scads of dependencies to be met.

You can select one file, or multiple files (individually) ... or you can query all mobi-type files (MOBI, AZW, AZW3, AZW4, PRC) in a specified folder. It will even search subfolders recursively for mobi-files if you so choose (*NOTE*: it could take quite a while if you tell it to recursively search a HUGE calibre library folder—depending on your hardware ... you've been warned!).

I'm not much for "pretty" output, so someone else will have to put lipstick on it if they want, but have at it! I'm sure someone will be able break it if they try hard.

P.S. For the ultra-conservatives: it makes absolutely no modifications to the ebook files themselves. The program does, however, attempt to create/modify a tiny file on your hard drive. It uses the file to store the last directory opened so it can begin from there the next time you run the program. It's for convenience only and the program should still work if it can't (for whatever reason) create/modify/read that file. You'll just always have to start from the directory where the script lives when selecting files... each time. Full disclosure and all.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WhatsMyMobi.zip (5.2 KB, 370 views)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-01-2012 at 08:45 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Cool addition to my bag'o'tricks!

Thanks, DD!
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
mbmr
mbmr began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Is it possible to run this from linux command line minus all the GUI stuff something like

$> whatsmymobi.py /path/to/test.mobi
mbmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not without an overhaul of the code, no.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
mbmr
mbmr began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Its ok I have coded things up myself no need to use your code/plugin or calibre anymore for that matter you dont seem too keen on updating things in 2 threads now
mbmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm glad you got things working the way you want, but I fear you may be a bit confused as to what "updating" means. I simply didn't recognize the merit of your requests, that's all.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Hey, just now I realized about this tool! Very useful indeed, thank you very much for taking the time to write this script.
RbnJrg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You're welcome. Glad you find it useful.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know if this is feasible or not, but would it be possible to display whether or not the book has (Amazon) DRM?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Shouldn't prove too difficult, I wouldn't think. Just need to decide how best to display its presence (or lack thereof).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-03-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote