Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #46
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Viviena, your screens look great. I am curious if you have tried Charis and what is your opinion on it?

eP
No I haven't, though I might if I get bored with what I currently have. I always end up experimenting a lot. From looking at jackie_w's screenshot earlier in the thread though, Charis looks nice. Similar to Georgia (in my amateur, flighty opinion), except darker strokes and better use of space.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:48 AM   #47
prsita
Enthusiast
prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: PRS 650
J find the font NimbusMod super, because is a semibold font with a good rendering on the screen. For the same reason is also very good the font Vollkorn, that j have tried after reading this thread.

There is another font not bad, that was not mentioned so far, that is Minion Pro.

It's also free and is used by many editors in the embedded fonts of the epub sold.

Last edited by prsita; 06-24-2011 at 02:56 AM.
prsita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #48
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
As we speak, I'm testing a bunch of fonts, and, I'm finding a preference for fonts that have "SemiBold" varieties that can be used as the standard font. In the case of these fonts, the Bold or Heavy or Black versions are used the the Bold, and it works great. I'm testing as we speak.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #49
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Minion Pro has a semi-bold, fyi. It is not a free font but it is included in a lot of Adobe products.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #50
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Will post about a dozen screen shots in a couple hours when I get home.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #51
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
I'm surprised that it has not mentioned here, but for me, the most readable font is Helvetica.
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #52
Japes
Addict

That is a Sans Serif font, and is not normally optimal for reading over long stretches (although there are people, apparently, who prefer it).
Old 06-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #53
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
That is a Sans Serif font, and is not normally optimal for reading over long stretches (although there are people, apparently, who prefer it).
Really? I didn't know that. In this case, I will try some serif fonts from the ones mentioned here and see if I feel a difference.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #54
Japes
Addict

Take a look at the other thread I just started with 21 screen shots. If you feel comfortable with the Sans font, by all means keep using it. I don't like them at all to read with for long periods of time.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #55
encapuchado
Banned

Thanks. I chose Helvetica because it is the font I normally use for other things and because I find it very pretty. However, I will test a serif font to see if it is more readable than Helvetica. And of course, I will check the pictures in the other thread.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #56
Japes
Addict

Is there a way to get type 1 fonts (as opposed to TTF or OTF) to work on the ereader? If so, how? I think type 1 fonts have two file types for every font style? Any help would be greatly appreciated so that I can post some new screenshots.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #57
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Is there a way to get type 1 fonts (as opposed to TTF or OTF) to work on the ereader? If so, how? I think type 1e fonts have two file types for every font style? Any help would be greatly appreciated so that I can post some new screenshots.

FontForge can handle this kind of conversion easily.

My NimbusMod started out as a type 1 font, and I used FontForge to do the required edits and conversion to TTF.

I run FontForge in Ubuntu, where it takes about a minute to install directly from the main Ubuntu software repository, and works perfectly.

For Macs and Windows it's a little bit more of a PITA to install FontForge and get it setup, because you not only have to find the required executable for your system, but may also have to load cygwin (in the case of Windows), or other libraries (Mac), and then make a few geek-tweaks to your system after installation to get everything properly configured.

FontForge has a bit of a learning curve, because you have full editing control of every font attribute, but whether you want to just convert font types as you mentioned, or edit every character glyph individually, FontForge will handle the job for you.

Last edited by delphin; 06-26-2011 at 02:16 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #58
BelgarionNL
BelgarionNL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
where is that starter's package! i think there are a few winners right here!

make a top 5 and release those because i have no idea how to change it!

Last edited by BelgarionNL; 07-07-2011 at 05:52 PM.
BelgarionNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #59
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I installed PRS just a couple of days ago, but I have tried a large number of fonts. Delphin's NimbusMod is the most readable of the ones I have tried. Many of the ones I have tried are very similar, but what I like about this one is the somewhat larger space around the words that increases readability when using a small size. I go between Small and Medium on my 350, but after switching to NimbusMod I find I can stay on S most of the time.
It's not the prettiest font though. Fontin, for example, is better looking, but not as readable, in my opinion. I can see myself using Fontin or something similar now and then anyway, when "reading flow" isn't as important
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #60
Japes
Addict

Agree 100% on every point. I think oftentimes people get caught up on which is the prettiest/nicest font, when what should matter (in an ereader), is readability. NimbusMod is excellent. Easily one of the top two or three fonts I've tried in terms of readability, and I've tried ALOT of them (see the other thread with screenshots).