Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-27-2022, 05:40 PM   #1
Nitrousbird
Nitrousbird began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8 Plus, 12th Gen
New Kindle Fire HD 8 Plus 12th Gen, Calibre 7689 Error, not the usual suspects

The recently released 12th Gen HD 8 Plus. I've used Calibre for years, with the previous device being an HD 8 8th gen.

Error at the end of this post. Brand new device. I have done the following:
- Selected File Transfer when USB is connected, just like I did with my previous unit
- Hard reset the unit
- Updated the Kindle
- Installed the latest version of Calibre
- Tried two different USB-A to USB-C cables (one that came with the Fire and another one I had). Tried multiple USB ports
- Tried a 2nd laptop (both running Win 11), with a fresh Calibre install w/ no library
- No MicroSD card installed. Even tried installing one with no success

I can browse the file system from Windows without a problem and it appears there are no Calibre-related files on it.

Here is the error message received:
calibre, version 6.9.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:336:Failed to EnumObjects() of folder from device:[hr=0x80042009 wCode=7689] IDispatch error #7689: o11

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 620, in _upload_books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 412, in upload_books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 384, in prefix_for_location
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 271, in filesystem_cache
wpd.WPDError: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:336:Failed to EnumObjects() of folder from device:[hr=0x80042009 wCode=7689] IDispatch error #7689: o11
Nitrousbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's an error while enumerating the files on the device, browsing it in windows doesnt enumerate all files on the device. If a hard reset didnt fix it then you can try a different usb cable/port or get a replacement from amazon, or use one of the wireless connection methods described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2022, 07:13 AM   #3
Nitrousbird
Nitrousbird began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8 Plus, 12th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That's an error while enumerating the files on the device, browsing it in windows doesnt enumerate all files on the device. If a hard reset didnt fix it then you can try a different usb cable/port or get a replacement from amazon, or use one of the wireless connection methods described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
I've seen you give this same response to the question on many searches I've done for the issue.

But can you confirm this isn't a different issue with this newest generation of Kindle? Since it was only recently released, there may not be a lot of people asking about this yet - I've not seen any. I've already tried multiple ports, cables, and another laptop so that's not it. I know I can do wireless but prefer the wired method.
Nitrousbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:20 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm afraid I am not going to spend my money to buy a new Kindle for this. MTP is a well defined protocol and on windows calibre uses the windows provided APIs to query the device, if they are failing its almost certainly a device problem.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 12:59 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
But can you confirm this isn't a different issue with this newest generation of Kindle?
A Fire tablet is not a Kindle. Even Amazon no longer calls it that.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert