Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
srid
srid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question Kindle in Canada; some questions

Hi folks,

I am considering to buy Kindle 2 and have it shipped to Vancouver, BC. I hear that the total delivery time should be less than a week. Is that true?

Some questions:

1) Can I buy books from the Kindle (whispernet) itself without a computer/usb-cable?

2) If I can, then is there any "transaction/delivery" charge for buying books over whispernet? (I heard from another person that there is a $2 delivery charge per book)

3) Some Kindle books cannot be bought using the Canadian credit card. a) Are there actually a lot of them? b) Is there a way to workaround it without having a US address/credit-card, but still buy those books in my Amazon account?

4) Can I upload custom books (from feedbooks.com for instance) to the Kindle Amazon "cloud" -- so they get sync'ed to my other devices (iPhone, PC, Mac, etc..)?

5) Any other "catch" Canadian Kindle owners need to know, in relation to the US Kindle owners?

Last edited by srid; 05-03-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: use ordered list
srid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
1) Yes
2) Ys, but it is built into the price (i.e. you will see a list price $2 higher than an American)
3) No clue, I buy from other places
4) You can upload them but they won't sync to the cloud
5) The only website you can access with the built-in browser is Wikipedia
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
srid
srid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
SRID: ... is there any "transaction/delivery" charge for buying books over whispernet? (I heard from another person that there is a $2 delivery charge per book)
2) Ys, but it is built into the price (i.e. you will see a list price $2 higher than an American)

SRID: Some Kindle books cannot be bought using the Canadian credit card. a) Are there actually a lot of them? b) Is there a way to workaround it without having a US address/credit-card, but still buy those books in my Amazon account?
3) No clue, I buy from other places
2) My friend also told me that if I buy from the desktop, there isn't an extra $2 charge. So when you say "you will see a list price $2 higher than an American", do you mean the price listed on the Kindle device itself?

3) What "other places" are they? I thought you can only "buy" books for the Kindle from the Amazon store. Do you mean buying .mobi elsewhere (or ePub, and then converting it to .mobi) and then uploading it to the Kindle?
srid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
The list price is the list price in the Kindle store. It does not matter whether you use the wireless or download to the desktop, the Canadian list price will be $2 higher. So, the 'free' books all cost $2

As for elsewhere...

- Free books in .mobi from here, Feedbooks or Manybooks
- Multiformat books from Smashwords or Fictionwise
- Books in secure ePub or Mobi if you are comfortable 'liberating' them from the DRM
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada