Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
ppawel
ppawel began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
Opuses (and Gen3s) on sale in Archambault (Canada) -- open box!

Hi all,

This is my first post to the forum, and I'm happy to say that I just took the plunge and bought a Bookeen Opus, that I'm very pleased with. I live in Montreal, and had read on the site's wiki that Archambault was selling Bookeen readers. Sure enough, when I went to their website, I found that they had the Opus on sale for $199 CDN and the Gen3 on sale for $279 CDN.

Encouraged by this, I visited a local Archambault (the flagship store downtown) and indeed found that they were selling the Boookeen readers in-store at the same prices!

I picked up an Opus, which suspiciously didn't have any seals over the boxlids, and proceeded to the cash. Right before I paid with my credit card, the sales person warned me that these units were 'previously handled'. I replied, 'You mean they're open-box units?' to which the salesperson said something along the lines of 'Yes. And that also means that this is a final sale with no return possible.' I was a bit taken aback by this since I didn't notice such an indication when I was inspecting the unit's entry on the Archambault online store.

Anyway, at that price I decided to take the plunge and bought it. I have no regrets. The unit is working flawlessly and it is brilliant. Super-fast page turns, crisp display, and absolutely no problems upgrading to the 2.0 firmware when I got home. As has been mentioned on this forum, it renders ePubs beautifully.

Oddly, when I first took the Opus out of the box and fired it up there were some French ebooks already installed, and the original Opus books (75 public domain classics, I believe) had been wiped by the previous user. When I installed ADE at home, the program tut-tut'ed me and informed me that those books had DRM and owned by someone else, so I dutifully wiped them (besides, I want to load it with legitimate yet DRM-free ePubs anyway).

So, just a heads-up to any Canadians out there thinking of buying through Archambault. I'm not saying that they're being deceptive, since they did warn me before buying, but I was surprised. I can only speak from my experience of buying one at the brick-and-mortar store that I bought it at. Perhaps the units on the online store are new-in-box, I have no idea about that, but it's curious that they're listed at the same price as the open-box unit I bought.

Last edited by ppawel; 03-28-2010 at 03:10 PM.
ppawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
If you want the original book bundle, you should contact bookeen, they generaly will give you a way to get it
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
ppawel
ppawel began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
Thanks very much for the tip -- I'll look into that.
ppawel is offline   Reply With Quote