Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #91
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
An impressive history, and a wonderful place. My sincere congratulations to you, for the vision; to the greenies, for their careful but efficient moderation; and to my fellow users, for making this a place to enjoy and be.

Favourite Section?: Reading Recommendations. I've found new books, new authors, and new friends there.

Favourite thread?: What is in your cup. Which makes the Lounge my second favourite section.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #92
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone

Introduce Yourself is my favorite place. Having worked as a door greeter at church, I understand that the first contact is most important for new visitors. If we can welcome them and engage with them in a friendly conversation, they will stay.

My suggestions (if not implemented yet):
  1. As soon as visitors signs up, encourage them to visit the "Introduce Yourself" corner to introduce themselves.
  2. For the welcoming team, try to go beyond just a simple "welcome to MR" message. Read the visitor's message and, if possible, try to write a welcoming message that is related to the visitors.
  3. Allow the welcoming team to engage with visitors in general, short conversations and then direct them to specific subforums for more technical issues.
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #93
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
Congratulations on 10 years! I've only been hanging around for 2-3/4 years (or so). I first found MobileRead when contemplating the purchase of an e-reader several years ago. MobileRead has been with me for almost my entire e-reader experience.

I can't say I have a favorite section; I usually start out in the forum overview, look through News and General, but I enjoy many other sections - the Kindle forums, the Deals & Freebies, the Reading Recommendations... the relatively recently added Author Self-Promotions are sometimes quite interesting. I also occasionally browse in the Miscellaneous forums. I really appreciate the site, the members who put so much effort (and humor!) into it, the freebies... I love being able to hang around (even virtually) with like-minded individuals. I wouldn't know where to start suggesting changes, but I enjoy it very much the way it is.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #94
macr0t0r
Connoisseur
macr0t0r doesn't littermacr0t0r doesn't litter

Device: Palm Treo 680, Sony Reader
Ah, remember when this site was almost completely about iSilo and Plucker? Those were the days!

My favorite forum is the Calibre forum: mostly the Library Management section. That piece of software has been a life-saver as my books are moved to whatever device I've upgraded to each year. One of my most-worthy donations!

- Jim
Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #95
chwcjw
chwcjw has top level security clearance to Area 51.chwcjw has top level security clearance to Area 51.chwcjw has top level security clearance to Area 51.chwcjw has top level security clearance to Area 51.chwcjw has top level security clearance to Area 51.chwcjw has top level security clearance to Area 51.chwcjw has top level security clearance to Area 51.chwcjw has top level security clearance to Area 51.chwcjw has top level security clearance to Area 51.chwcjw has top level security clearance to Area 51.chwcjw has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kindle
fav forum kindle free books.

I love free! Since I am kindle oriented I love the free and bargain section so I would enjoy winning something for your birthday--grin. ty for all you do
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #96
GuillaumeJay
Enthusiast
GuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 1
Happy birthday

My favourite section is the the deals and freebies section

How to make it better ? I'm not sure. Sometimes better is the enemy of good...
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #97
FourGold
Opinionated
FourGold will become famous soon enoughFourGold will become famous soon enoughFourGold will become famous soon enoughFourGold will become famous soon enoughFourGold will become famous soon enoughFourGold will become famous soon enough

Device: Pixel 7,Kindle Oasis,Fire 8
Happy Birthday Mobile Read!

Congratulations on anticipating the future ! My favorite section is the Deals and Freebies which has given me hours of reading fun . Thank you for this site!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #98
Diamond04
Diamond04 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
First I would like to say Happy 10th Birthday. I just joined and I was looking at all the different forum and it is hard to pick my favorite but I think I will use the Reading Recommendation Forum. I like to hear what other people have to say about a book before I read it.

Well can't wait to start using all the forums
Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #99
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Congrats on 10 years!

I like the Reading Recommendations section the best since I get a lot of great ideas in there. It has really helped me branch out in my reading.

As for improvements - a better search feature? The group here is so helpful but it is sometimes hard to find the right answer from the multitude of responses, just something that showed the results with more description would be nice. Although I think this is beyond the scope of what you were asking
Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #100
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Happy Birthday!

My favorite section is "Sony Reader" - it's been a tremendous troubleshooting resource and a great source of hardware recommendations.

Bob
Old 10-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #101
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Happy Birthday! I originally came here to find out secrets about my Kindle 1. And I found some really, really helpful people here (some who went really out of their way, and I try and repay that by being helpful in turn).

It used to be just the Sony reader and the Kindle. I can't believe how much everything has changed. The site was easier to navigate when you didn't have so many different readers. But you can't go wrong visiting News, General Discussions, Deals (Romance is my fav), and Calibre. I don't even visit Kindle anymore, although I should. I might have picked up a thing or two in the last 5 years.

I find the group here friendlier than any other that will have me as a member. Thank you Mobileread, and here is to another 10!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #102
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
My favorite forum is the Patricia Clark Memorial Library. If that's not specific enough, I would choose the Mobi/PRC sub-forum, although the ePub sub-forum is also appreciated.

I appreciate the time, effort and care that goes into the uploads of books that provide hours of enjoyment for not only our members but for the world at large. The Library is a real contribution to our fellow man, and I say "Thank you!" to its contributors.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #103
my3ke
my3ke began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Jetbook Lite
Well! 10 years! Congrats for a fine gathering place on the InterWebs.

Mostly I lurk in the book stacks and two forums; Barnes and Noble Nook (I have a N1e) and Ectaco jetBook, which is my first stand alone ereader. I still use it! As a lurker, I'm not inclined to suggest improvements to the forums as I pretty much like things the way the are. It works well and is reliable as a iron skillet.

Thanks for all your hard work!

my3ke
Old 10-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #104
Gazerwolf
Enthusiast
Gazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheese

Device: 2 K2 Int, K4 SO, K4 Keyboard, Kindle DXG,Voyage(broke screen)PW4
I love the Kindle section.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #105
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
CONGRATS!!! My last forum I ran for 8 years before I just could not keep it up and had to close it so I know what it is like. Thanks for your time and hard work!

I hang out 90% of the time in the Writers forum and have been meaning to branch out more... but the last time I did that I got pulled into the What's in your cup thread and have never escaped! Been scared ever since!

I think the best thing to improve this site would be... giving me that simple touch!
Closed Thread