Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #301
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I am just *so* relieved. It's much more even overall and brighter - definitely not murky like the first one.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #302
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I am just *so* relieved. It's much more even overall and brighter - definitely not murky like the first one.
That's why I had to return my last one, that horrible murky dark look, plus it had fairly bad color hues. It really seems like the luck of the draw with the PW at this point. My 502 has the whitest screen (and brightest light) of all the PW's I've had and it just looks so much nicer.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #303
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Luck of the draw indeed as my 502 was the murky one. Maybe you should get back to Andrew and tell him you'd like to try a 604
Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #304
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Luck of the draw indeed as my 502 was the murky one. Maybe you should get back to Andrew and tell him you'd like to try a 604
Poor Andrew! Better yet I'll ask him to call me back at the end of the year when the PW2 is out. Although I'm starting to think the PW2 may be plagued with the same issues.

On a side note, at one point I had 3 PW's side by side: A 501, 502, and a 603 and they all looked vastly different. Not just a little different, but hugely different. Some more pink, some more blue, some much brighter. Crazy.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 02-04-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #305
Yolina
Wizard

I'm wondering how bad they have to be to fail QC...
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #306
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Replacement has just arrived, it is so much better
No pink whatsoever, a very faint green area which I can only barely notice in the dark if the light is on high. Contrast is really good on this one too.
There is still a very small amount of light bleed on the bottom left-hand side, but nothing compared to the one before.

I am happy with my PW

Thank you to all who have wished me luck in getting a good one

Edit: and the cherry on the cake is that it's on 5.3.1 so I can jailbreak without having to downgrade the firmware fist. WiFi staying firmly off for now
Good to hear you're happy now.

Don't return the Kindle to try and get one without bleeding in the lower left. I've now seen 5 Paperwhites in person beside my own, and they all have the same bleeding. You will notice it more or less depending on your reading circumstances and light setting.

Why should you leave Wifi off? I hope Amazon will not just decide to suddenly update and reboot your Kindle without you giving permission? If that would happen, I'd be *majorily* annoyed, and could lead to me selling the device after unbricking it.

I hate it when manufacturers mess with my stuff (software, hardware) and update it without at least notifying me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
On a side note, at one point I had 3 PW's side by side: A 501, 502, and a 603 and they all looked vastly different. Not just a little different, but hugely different. Some more pink, some more blue, some much brighter. Crazy.
Crazy? No, it's probably checked only one in so many (one per batch of 100 or 1000 or so) for good quality during mass production. That's why. Somewhere, the cheapness of current day ereaders has to be achieved, and as with most products, it will be build quality and/or quality control.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-07-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #307
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Don't return the Kindle to try and get one without bleeding in the lower left. I've now seen 5 Paperwhites in person beside my own, and they all have the same bleeding. You will notice it more or less depending on your reading circumstances and light setting.
I just checked my PW at various light settings, and I dont' have bleeding in the lower left (or indeed, at any) corner.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #308
Yolina
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Good to hear you're happy now.

Quote:

No intention of returning that one, the light bleed is minimal and I don't notice it when I read - on the previous one it was horrendous though and very distracting.

Quote:

Why should you leave Wifi off? I hope Amazon will not just decide to suddenly update and reboot your Kindle without you giving permission? If that would happen, I'd be *majorily* annoyed, and could lead to me selling the device after unbricking it.
They *do* push updates when the device is idle - I did a test yesterday on the PW I'm returning - left it go to sleep by itself with the WiFi on and within 10 minutes it had rebooted and been updated to 5.3.3. It's nothing new, it's the way Amazon makes thing "easy" for their customers

I normally keep the WiFi off, so makes no difference to me anyway

Quote:

I hate it when manufacturers mess with my stuff (software, hardware) and update it without at least notifying me.
Then keep the WiFi off on your Kindle otherwise it will happen sooner or later.

Last edited by Yolina; 02-04-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #309
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I just checked my PW at various light settings, and I dont' have bleeding in the lower left (or indeed, at any) corner.
Then you are very lucky Mine does have it, but it's so faint that you can only see it in complete darkness, with the light up to at least 13. Then it starts to show a tiny bit. Even at 24 it's not enough to bother about. The lower left corner is just a tad brighter than the right; less than one notch in the light settings I'd say.

At 24 in complete darkness you're having the bigger problem of having your eyes burned out.

In normal use, with some ambient light, I don't see the bleeding either.

It was comparable on all PW's I've been able to see up to now.

Quote:
Then keep the WiFi off on your Kindle otherwise it will happen sooner or later.
Good to know. That's craptastic though. Amazon is lucky that I don't intend to jailbreak, as I can load other fonts already, and that's all I wanted (at least for now). If they decide to not make that work any longer, I could change to another reader in a moment's notice. I don't de-DRM my bought ebooks just for fun.

Good support is one of the things that made me buy the Kindle Touch and PW, and I would again, as long as Amazon is not going to do stuff to it that annoys me, such as disabling custom fonts or side-loading books.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-04-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #310
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Same here it was one of the first things I checked on my PW when I got it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #311
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

I don't have the light bleed either, but I did have it on a couple earlier PW's.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #312
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
My very first one had it, and I swear it was blinding me!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #313
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I know what you mean! I have 3 PW's to compare right now too -- my mom's 501, and my other two. When I put them side by side, they're pink, yellow, and green. My mom's 501 (yellow) is still the best of the bunch.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #314
deslock
deslock began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Bought two Kindles (for my wife and me): hers was near perfect, mine not so much. So I got a replacement. In the attached photo, left to right:
  • My 1st PW (batch 603): low contrast, uneven lighting at the bottom, more blotchiness, one bad pixel (that I've noticed), one sparkle (that I've noticed), harsh (bluish) hue
  • My 2nd PW (batch 603): excellent contrast, uneven lighting at the bottom, harsh (bluish) hue, case slightly misaligned near bottom
  • Her PW (batch 503): excellent contrast, mostly uniform lighting, warm (yellowish) hue
Not all of that is evident in the photo.

I'm deciding whether to try for a 3rd for myself. On the one hand it'd be nice if mine had more even lighting and warmer tones like my wife's. On the other hand, it's pretty good as is (better than my 1st PW).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle_pw_comparison.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	100710  
deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #315
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
I know what you mean! I have 3 PW's to compare right now too -- my mom's 501, and my other two. When I put them side by side, they're pink, yellow, and green. My mom's 501 (yellow) is still the best of the bunch.
I can understand small differences, but on the 3 I had the difference was quite big between them. The one I kept looks very white to me, but when I put it next to the other 2 it looks slightly cream colored. The other two were blue and pink.

deslock - I had 3 I was comparing between and they look very similar to your 3 actually. I've been reading a lot on my current one and I'm really happy with it. I think it's worth trying again because having a nice one really makes a big difference. Good luck.