Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Question Bookiejar.com?

Does anyone use this? It looks pretty interesting to me, but I don't want to put a bunch of stuff up there and end up getting hosed.

You can have either a book, or a book-in-progress on there. Looking around at it, I'm really thinking about it, but I'm not 100% sure. Any info would be appreciated.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
I am also looking at Bookiejar. I recently attended a writer's conference where all the publishers I met with requested a full manuscript. I also met Ted Youngs who works for bookiejar--now I'm considering sending my story there instead. It seems that the potential is there--we just can't be sure how it will play out.

Sherry
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I put a book up. I had to copy and paste it to a new Word doc first. They seem to be using the Word document map for their chapter outlines, so until I had the Word doc map correct, the sample chapters were incorrectly displayed.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Looks like its more or less the same requirements that Smashwords has. Intellesting...
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #5
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe I should add an update, hm?

So, I've got a couple books up there and I've sold a copy of "Echo" (win!) Which means there are buyers on there, though it's still pretty new, so it might be good to be grandfathered in if it goes big.

I really like the ability to give people actual autographs. That seems really cool to me.

Anyways, .doc file, you can post ongoing stories, though you have to agree to finish it there since they don't want any trailing stories. When you want to add more chapters, you have to reload the whole story, which kind of sucks.

So, what I've figured: First line indent 0.30. Chapters in Heading 1 (I tried Heading 2 and it came out crap, so no.) Cover image supposed to be 600x800. And why not make a autograph? Though mine looks kind of like I was having a seizure since I used my touchpad to make it.
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
Anyways, .doc file, you can post ongoing stories, though you have to agree to finish it there since they don't want any trailing stories. When you want to add more chapters, you have to reload the whole story, which kind of sucks.
That's actually how my NaNo project has been going; I write each chapter as a .txt file and then import everything into LibreOffice for the day's word count. So its fine by me since I have to compile everything anyway.
Quote:
So, what I've figured: First line indent 0.30. Chapters in Heading 1 (I tried Heading 2 and it came out crap, so no.) Cover image supposed to be 600x800. And why not make a autograph? Though mine looks kind of like I was having a seizure since I used my touchpad to make it.
Maybe pick up a graphics tablet?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
How "big" does the market feel there?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So just posted 2 books on it. My Smashwords formatted docs went in with out error so was very painless and fast. They only distro to Kobo which Smash already does for me so I just left that option turned off. Figure the more stores that have my books the better, but not expecting much.

Just have to see...
Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
How "big" does the market feel there?
The market doesn't feel that big, but they're just starting out. Tweet about 'em and whatever, tell people they can buy chapters of your stories for $0.50, get stuff moving, and maybe they'll get big

BTW, there's a Wacom pad somewhere in my house, but I was just using what I had... my touchpad. I just like the fact that you can have a generic autograph, but you can also do custom ones.

Also, you would be able to have in-person signings wherever there's wifi--like a coffee shop, most bookstores, etc. Someone brings you their Kindle or iPad, you use a stylus to sign the front page of your BookieJar book for them and maybe write them a personalized message, then later you go into your BookieJar account on your computer and okay the signatures as good.

Sure, there's Kindlegraph out there, but this is more personalized and you can have real life book signings of your ebooks. So if you've got TPBs, you can have an all around signing. Very nice idea.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard

On thing that is missing, or I just have not found yet, is any tracking. I do not see any place where to see how many copies of my free book have been downloaded, how many chapters have been read, etc.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #11
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
On thing that is missing, or I just have not found yet, is any tracking. I do not see any place where to see how many copies of my free book have been downloaded, how many chapters have been read, etc.
Go to "Account," "Summary (Billing, Prefs...)" Then click "Tools" and choose "Sales Statistics." Gives you your sales and sample downloads.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #12
VydorScope
Wizard

Cool thanks!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
The market doesn't feel that big, but they're just starting out. Tweet about 'em and whatever, tell people they can buy chapters of your stories for $0.50, get stuff moving, and maybe they'll get big
Sounds like I really will have to get a MySpace and a Facebook now.... /sweatdrop

I've been trying to avoid it because of my day job.