Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
UnfitForDuty
UnfitForDuty began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR/Kindle3
What speed of SDHC card should I get for the STR?

Well, we've decided to go for the Nook. I've been looking around at deals for a SDHC cards and began wondering what's the top speed/class of card should I be shopping for. Anyone here with a manual know what the top speed of card the Nook can handle?

Cheers
UnfitForDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
here's the manual

but honestly, US$6 for an 8gb microsd sounds about right
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Why do you care? Sure, MicroSD is considered to be slower than most cards but seriously, you're copying and reading a few megabytes here, not 720p MKV's...

Or are you?
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfitForDuty View Post
Well, we've decided to go for the Nook. I've been looking around at deals for a SDHC cards and began wondering what's the top speed/class of card should I be shopping for. Anyone here with a manual know what the top speed of card the Nook can handle?

Cheers
B&N has a promotion going that if you show them your 'other brand' ereader you get a micro SD card with books for free when you buy a Nook. A good way to get the SD card.

In fact they gave it to my husband without having my Kindle to show. While looking at the Nook Touch we mentioned that I have the Kindle and showed them the Kindle App for our iPhones. They told us about the promotion. We asked how long it was good for and figured we would come back with my Kindle. They said they would give it to us if he wanted to buy the Nook now. So he did.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
B&N has a promotion going that if you show them your 'other brand' ereader you get a micro SD card with books for free when you buy a Nook. A good way to get the SD card.
that's great! must be a new promotion - didn't happen for me earlier this month - heck, the local BN didn't even have any microsds at all!

:-(
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfitForDuty View Post

Cheers

Class 2 is good enough.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
that's great! must be a new promotion - didn't happen for me earlier this month - heck, the local BN didn't even have any microsds at all!

:-(
I don't know when it started. I wonder if you called and asked about it and when it started, if the promotion was on when you bought yours maybe they'll still honor it.

Carol

Edited: I guess it started July 1st. Found this

http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/pre...challenge.html

If you bought after July 1st I would go back to the store and try to get the card.

Last edited by sadievan; 07-30-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
The top speed probably doesn't matter, as you are highly unlikely to notice a difference using top speed as compared to class 2 or 4. The speed ratings of these cards were originally intended to relate to users of high-speed cameras and video recorders, in which faster write speeds are important for capturing lots of data. For simple reading of ebooks, the speed rating is not as relevent. The only relevance is that a class 10 card will write faster than a card with a lower rating. But this will only be noticeble if you are transferring a lot of data at a time.

For my nook, the last card I bought was a class 4. Works well, and cheaper than the class 10.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:14 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Speed is totally irrelevant for a book reader. It only matters for photography, video, etc. Get the cheapest you can find.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
Class 2 is good enough.
^ This. Indeed, Class 2 is more than sufficient, especially in this case for ebooks and such. Overkill, actually. And really, not something to spend time worrying about. You won't feel any difference.

Except your wallet will.

Get the cheapest BRAND NAME card you can get. Done.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
As a side remark, size of the card should be more important than speed. Look at the size of your average ebooks, then calculate how many ebooks you might want to store on your Nook max. That should give you a rough idea of what size. I have a 4Gb card in mine and I know I will not fill it up, not with my ebooks ranging in size from about 200k to around 500k. Really graphic-heavy books can be significantly bigger in file size. Scanned PDF books can also be very big.
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Interesting. I just bought my STR at my local BN, had my old reader with me, showed it to them, asked if they had any promotions going. Told me, sure, if I buy a $25 membership, I get $10 off the nook. I said I understood that the membership was basicallly worthless for ebooks. She looked at me blankly. I asked if there was anything like a memory card, or cover discount. Nope, nothing like that.

She had to call a supervisor to bring down the unit. Supervisor made no mention of a promotion -- although they did offer me a 2 year warranty for $39, which I declined.

So. Before I go back (or call), was wondering if anyone can confirm the (micro) SD card is a BN promotion, or just happened that they ran into a local arbitrary offer?

Thanks.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #13
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Interesting. I just bought my STR at my local BN, had my old reader with me, showed it to them, asked if they had any promotions going. Told me, sure, if I buy a $25 membership, I get $10 off the nook. I said I understood that the membership was basicallly worthless for ebooks. She looked at me blankly. I asked if there was anything like a memory card, or cover discount. Nope, nothing like that.

She had to call a supervisor to bring down the unit. Supervisor made no mention of a promotion -- although they did offer me a 2 year warranty for $39, which I declined.

So. Before I go back (or call), was wondering if anyone can confirm the (micro) SD card is a BN promotion, or just happened that they ran into a local arbitrary offer?

Thanks.
Go to the link I provided a few posts up. It is from B&N and says the offer is good as long as supplies last. My husband just got the Touch this past week and the B&N we were at said they had a lot of cards left. You can call a B&N near you and ask if they have any of the SD cards left. If I were you I would print out the notice from the link I posted and take it with you.

Carol

Edited: Here is the link again:

http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/pre...challenge.html
Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Thanks, Sadie,

Missed the link previously.

I immediately called B&N. It appears the young lady who assisted me is a new employee and despite my specifically asking about an SD card, she was unaware. On the other hand, being new, she might have wanted to check with someone not so new. And, of course, when her manager showed up and rang it up, you'd think some question might have been asked.

Oh well, I got my card and my books. Still messing around with the Nook using the 4g Class 2 card from my phone, so haven't plugged the new one in to see what's on it.

Gotta figure out, amongst other things, why choosing "All" and "Books" in the library shows the same list. But that's for another thread.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Thanks, Sadie,

Missed the link previously.

I immediately called B&N. It appears the young lady who assisted me is a new employee and despite my specifically asking about an SD card, she was unaware. On the other hand, being new, she might have wanted to check with someone not so new. And, of course, when her manager showed up and rang it up, you'd think some question might have been asked.

Oh well, I got my card and my books. Still messing around with the Nook using the 4g Class 2 card from my phone, so haven't plugged the new one in to see what's on it.

Gotta figure out, amongst other things, why choosing "All" and "Books" in the library shows the same list. But that's for another thread.
Glad you were able to get it straightened out.

Carol

Tags
sdhc class nook str