Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
DX Screensaver Hack - Editing Pics for Loss Protection

This will work with any Kindle, mine happens to be a DX. I usually put one of my address labels on all my gadgets to make it easier for an honest citizen to get the device back to me. Came in real handy when I lost my cell phone once. Problem is, the labels wear off of gadgets that are handled a lot.

What I did was install the screensaver hack (
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...td_post_494354 ) . I then hooked my DX back up to USB and opened each of the stock pictures that came with it and added a small blurb of text to each of them:

If Found, Please Call
My Name
My Phone Number

I rebooted it and now whenever I put it to sleep or it goes into the screensaver the info for it's return is right there on the screen. Hopefully I'll never lose it but I hope if I do someone will be honest enough to call me to arrange a way to return it to me

Last edited by Rootman; 11-26-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
That's a really good idea! I'll have to think about modifying some of my screensaver images like that.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I agree; that's smart.

I'm probably too lazy to do it, but it's smart :-)
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote