Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Musical Scores

Has anyone experimented with displaying musical scores on the Reader? I sometimes like to listen to music with a small-format study score, and I think the Reader would be perfect.

Does anyone know of a (cheap) solution for converting MusicXML to PDF of an appropriate size for the reader?

Ken
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
What program are you using with the MusicXML? Are you on Windows or Mac? Software like Finale on OSX can just print the MusicXML right to PDF.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur

I'm on Windows. Does the full Finale let you specify a PDF size that displays well on the Reader? I tried downloading Finale Notepad, but it would only print to PDF in a handful of predefined sizes--none small enough for the Reader without scaling.

Ken
Old 10-15-2006, 11:15 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
There are a couple (several ) threads about finding the correct PDF size, amongst them the mention several (free) apps that will generate PDFs and let you control the size ... not sure what might work with MusicXML, though....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Hmm, not sure on the predefined sizes Ken. Can you setup a custom page size? I have Acrobat full version, so for example I can take the EPS or TIFFs that Finale produces and use Acrobat to "print" them to a custom page size.

If nothing else you can do like Natch suggests and use the Finale Notepad to print to the smallest size it offers and then use one of the free PDF resizer tools to resize that PDF to the size you need. Not sure how that will work with the page breaks on musical notes though... worth a try.
Advert
Old 10-16-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur

So, let's suppose I have something in Finale. Are you saying I can print to PS, then use Distiller to render it to PDF of the correct size for the Reader? Isn't there page size info in the PS? I guess I'm not really sure how that works...
Old 10-18-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

To be honest Ken I'm not sure how it would handle the page breaks, I haven't tried it.