Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
unable to get my book backup back into Calibre? error msg inside

unable to open database file RemoteTraceback (most recent call last): File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 119, in run OperationalError: unable to open database file
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 793, in delete_books
File "calibre\gui2\library.pyo", line 224, in delete_books
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 772, in delete_book
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 799, in clean
File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 146, in run
DatabaseException: unable to open database file
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 119, in run
OperationalError: unable to open database file

Ok so I am moving from a Mac to a PC for my prs 505 use and have created a copy of my calibre library by using 'save to disk in a single directory' in my mac calibre then in my windows calibre using 'add multiple books per directory' as instructed in the user guide.

however I get the message as above and only 188 of the 500+ books are in the library

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

sorry should also add done a full ubinstall and reinstall to latest version and still get this message!
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just copy your calibre library from the PC to the Mac, using your normal file copying tools. Then on the PC start calibre as

calibre --with-library c:\path\to\the\copied\library\folder
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just copy your calibre library from the PC to the Mac, using your normal file copying tools. Then on the PC start calibre as

calibre --with-library c:\path\to\the\copied\library\folder
can Kovid or anyone translate the last bit into 'know nothing about computers speak' thanks

Im assuming he/you mean something in the CMD Run box thingie on the PC?

I normally just start by using GUI, will I then need to start like this everytime?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I think you only have to do it once. As for simple instructions, we'd need to know where your Calibre is installed (default location?) and where you copy the library to on your PC.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I think you only have to do it once. As for simple instructions, we'd need to know where your Calibre is installed (default location?) and where you copy the library to on your PC.
yeh in default location and i havent copied the library to anywhere? its on an external drive im trying to add the books from the exported book folder i created in calibre on my mac,
Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We'd need to know what drive letter, directory, etc. the library is on your external drive.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
stustaff
Wizard

Sorry for the long gap been away...

The library isnt in aany location thats what im trying to explain!

The installasion on my windows PC is standard so tCalibres library is on the C drive.

On my Mac i have opened Calibre and done a save to disc to back up all my books, they are saved on a USB drive which when connected to my PC is the S: drive but it is NOT a calibre Library! it is just a folder I called ebooks with the contents of Calbres(on my mac) save to disc function.

Calibre(windows) will not let me add the books in my folder to ITS existing Library. I get the original error. ????

Thanks for your help so far really appreciate it.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You get that error when trying to add books or when starting up calibre?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur

I would uninstall Calibre on the Windows machine, delete the Library folder wherever you designated it on your C: drive, and reinstall a new version of Calibre.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:28 AM   #11
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You get that error when trying to add books or when starting up calibre?
initially when I tried to add books but then on start of calibre seems to be when it tries to access the library info for the first time.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #12
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I would uninstall Calibre on the Windows machine, delete the Library folder wherever you designated it on your C: drive, and reinstall a new version of Calibre.
Thanks but as mentioned a few posts up I have tried this already.
I have to assume when I remove Calibre and delete the library folder that I am missing something...

OR actually could my backup be the problem, thats what started it and on a clean install it still wont accept it.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:48 AM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There is also the folder containing Calibre settings under your User profile. This is important as it will contain the path (amongst other things) that Calibre will use to try and find your library. Deleting this folder makes calibre return to default settings.

It will have a path something like C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\calibre although it can vary slightly with different versions of Windows. You may need to ensure that you have the "Show Hidden Files" set under folder options to see this folder.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:51 AM   #14
sirbruce
Provocateur

The only thing I can guess is a permissions problem, but that would be fixed by the uninstall and deleteing of the folder. So yes, something is being missed, but I'm afraid with your imperfect description of the problem I'm at a loss to say what's going wrong.

You might try as Kovid suggested before... forget save to disk, just copy the Mac library directory onto your USB drive, then copy the library folder from your USB drive onto Windows (after deleteing the old library folder), and starting calibre from the command line with the path to the new library. But you'd need to understand what the path was on your PC in order to do that.