Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #33691
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But I'm not convinced that 3D will be with us long term, either in theatres or on TV/Blu-Ray.
I'm with you on that one. Just don't think it's going to be the revolution in viewing that its proponents hoped for.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #33692
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I don't know about TV, but I believe 3-D has finally arrived to stay on the big screen. The technology has come a long way since the 50s' House of Wax and Creature from the Black Lagoon.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #33693
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I was never able to see the old 3D that required the red and blue glasses. I don't use binocular vision, so I would see a red movie or a blue movie... The newer TV 3D seems to be better for me. I can actually get the 3D impression.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #33694
lostmymarbles
Hunger Games Survivor
lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kindle
If given the option, I would rather watch something in HD than in 3D.
HD looks better than 3D.
I think 3D itself is a niche and will be gone before long.
Plus, isn't 3D bad for the eyes?
lostmymarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #33695
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Playing with my Mother's Day gift - a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight . And very nice it is, too!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #33696
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Shel!!! Hi, how have you been? Missed you around here. I hope all is going well with you and life.

Happy Mother's Day and congrats on your new Nook.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #33697
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Hmmm, why not?
Current 3D is fake 3D. The image is all in one plane, but the separate images to your eyes fool your brain into seeing depth.

It requires wearing active or passive glasses to view the 3D effect.

It just doesn't add that much (if anything) to movies. I have really good binocular vision, I have no problems with seeing the 3D. I just can't get excited about it. It doesn't really allow you to see any more than a 2D version.

Now a genuine 3D system would be interesting.

[checks the thread title]
Umm.. I'm resting after trimming my garden hedge.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #33698
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Current 3D is fake 3D...Now a genuine 3D system would be interesting....
I remember reading at the time that Superman: The Movie (1978) was supposed to end with a hologram of Superman flying off the screen over the heads of the movie-goers. The idea was ditched when they couldn't solve the problem of the further from the screen he got, the smaller he became. A shrinking super-hero is not very impressive.

This was all I could find on it.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #33699
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Shel!!! Hi, how have you been? Missed you around here. I hope all is going well with you and life.

Happy Mother's Day and congrats on your new Nook.
Hi, Dreams! Missed you and everyone here as well.
Things are going ok - school and work are keeping me very, very, busy, though.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #33700
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Just got back from the new Dark Shadows movie - mixed reaction to it. It started off completely serious & Gothic - it would have worked if the entire movie had been kept "serious" - and left out the comedy elements. The comedy seemed forced.

Michelle Pfeiffer was suberb! Depp was very wooden. Helena Bonham Carter was under used - her character could have been so much richer (judging from the jumps in the story line, I thought many of her scenes had been cut). Mrs. Johnson stole the show!

The four cast members from the original soap opera (Jonathan Frid, Lara Parker, David Selby and Kathryn Leigh Scott) were sadly treated - they had a 5 second cameo as party guests with no lines. If I hadn't read before hand where they appeared, I would have missed them.

The final sequence was way over done (elements of Seth Grahame-Smith methinks) - except for the last shot, which seems to indicate a sequel.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 05-13-2012 at 06:37 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #33701
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Pouring over maps of Honshu with my wife... I'm taking a 14+/- day solo ride around the northern island of Hokkaido next month, but now my wife has decided that she wants to take a one week ride together three days after I get back, going in the opposite direction and riding along the Sea of Japan on Honshu, eventually winding up above Hiroshima, crossing the island to the Seto Sea city, then exploring Miyajima's shrine and giant Torii gate before returning home. I think I'm going to need a butt transplant!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #33702
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Just got back from the new Dark Shadows movie - mixed reaction to it. It started off completely serious & Gothic - it would have worked if the entire movie had been kept "serious" - and left out the comedy elements. The comedy seemed forced.

Michelle Pfeiffer was suberb! Depp was very wooden. Helena Bonham Carter was under used - her character could have been so much richer (judging from the jumps in the story line, I thought many of her scenes had been cut). Mrs. Johnson stole the show!

The four cast members from the original soap opera (Jonathan Frid, Lara Parker, David Selby and Kathryn Leigh Scott) were sadly treated - they had a 5 second cameo as party guests with no lines. If I hadn't read before hand where they appeared, I would have missed them.

The final sequence was way over done (elements of Seth Grahame-Smith methinks) - except for the last shot, which seems to indicate a sequel.
I think Dark Shadows was one of those cultural phenomena that can never be repeated. You just had to be there. I remember being somewhat pleased when a remake of the series for TV never got off the ground because I knew they could never catch the spirit of the original. I'm not surprised to hear the comedy in this new movie was forced. The beauty of the original was that despite the often bad acting and frequent blunders (which is where we found our comic relief), we actually grew to care about the characters.

What's next, a re-make of Plan 9 From Outer Space?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #33703
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Looking for a new mp3 player. My three year old Creative Zen is starting to have problems. Looking for something simple and not too expensive or too big.

I like the Sandisk Sansa Clip+ and Clip Zip because of the expandable memory. I am worried about how easy they are to put on a card to hang around my neck, because my skin gets irritated easily I have to be careful to clip anything metal or plastic on the waistband of my pants I usually carry my mp3 player on a cord around my neck. My previous players all had a hole you could thread a cord through but I don't think the Sandisks have that because they all have a clip.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #33704
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Looking for a new mp3 player. My three year old Creative Zen is starting to have problems. Looking for something simple and not too expensive or too big.

I like the Sandisk Sansa Clip+ and Clip Zip because of the expandable memory. I am worried about how easy they are to put on a card to hang around my neck, because my skin gets irritated easily I have to be careful to clip anything metal or plastic on the waistband of my pants I usually carry my mp3 player on a cord around my neck. My previous players all had a hole you could thread a cord through but I don't think the Sandisks have that because they all have a clip.
I have a Sansa Clip and am very happy with it - quite simple to use, small, and not pricey. You could probably string a a cord underneath the clip (the clip fits quite tightly against the case) and hang it around your neck.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #33705
SandyHarper
Banned
SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: kindle
I just finished searching for new iPad. Might try at Wallmart???
SandyHarper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?