Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Some Sony questions

Hello, I am shopping for an ereader and it looks like it will mostly likely be a Sony. I will primarily use it for library books: my local branch library is closed for 2 years for renovations but it is part of a large system that has Overdrive.

Some questions:

1. I'm on a Mac. Will I have any problems with any of the software I need (Sony Library, Calibre, Overdrive)?

2. How does page numbering work on a Sony? I understand on the Nook, you may have to click several times for the page number to change, as there is some metric about how much text makes up a page. Is it the same on a Sony? I would prefer "number of screens" eg, if I'm on page 2 of 200 and I double the font size, I'm now on page 4 of 400. So that advancing the page changes the page number. Does it work like that?

3. Library books/Overdrive: I understand that you cannot "renew" a book, but you could put yourself in the queue all over again, and check it out a second time, right? It doesn't mean that you can only CHECK OUT a book once?

4. I understand from trolling message boards that on a Nook, if you turn off the wireless you can extend the length of your library book checkout, since your device will never "get the message" that the book is due. Since there is no wireless, how does this work on the Sony? There is an internal clock on the device that tells when the book is due and deletes it, whether or not you are connected to the computer?

Thanks very much!!!
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
1. Sony and calibre fine... someone else come in on Overdrive (or Google it)

2. Varies depending on filetype... ePub, PDF etc...

3. Can check out more than once...

4. If you don't connect to computer then stays readable on Sony...

Enjoy your forthcoming Sony
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I use Windows, but Overdrive e-book service is Mac compatible.

No, changing the type size does not change the "page number" displayed. Prior models had the page number displayed as a tiny numeral next to the first line of the new page's text in the margin ("Jenny saw Brad fondling the gun, but she misunderstood 101 --> the situation entirely ....") Now one goes simply by the "101 - 102 of 200" below the text. I understand your question, but to me one still knows where one "is" in the book ("10%, just over 1/3, etc.).

Yes, you can check the book out again, as long as there are no holds on it by other patrons.

There is an internal clock, which I believe, you could reset to give yourself "extra time" to finish a book if necessary. I've never needed to do this.

One thing to bear in mind is that some books are only available in PDF (not Epub) format, which Sony handles better than the other compatible readers. For instance, I have one book that's a PDF in two columns! Sony offers a quadrant option to view top left/bottom left/top right/bottom right of each page in slightly magnified font by zooming. The others I understand have neither quadrants, nor zooming, so on a nook, it'd be either default tiny Small font, or medium, which would mess up the formatting.

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 10-27-2010 at 12:59 PM.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
2. How does page numbering work on a Sony? I understand on the Nook, you may have to click several times for the page number to change, as there is some metric about how much text makes up a page. Is it the same on a Sony? I would prefer "number of screens" eg, if I'm on page 2 of 200 and I double the font size, I'm now on page 4 of 400. So that advancing the page changes the page number. Does it work like that?
Page numbering will work very similiar to how it works on the Nook.

Your example of changing the font size and having the page numbering change was specific to the LRF ebook format. Sony still can read the LRF format but library books will only be ePub and PDF.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Thanks for the help, guys. We'll see if I get used to the page numbering.

Interesting about the PDF capabilities. I can't really see myself reading PDFs on it, as I just want to read novels. I do create diagrams/technical specs in PDF format for my work all the time. I will be curious to see how they look on the Reader. And then if I view them on the Reader... I can deduct it as a tax expense! Right?? lol.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
If you're creating PDFs, you might find it worthwhile "printing" a version with an appropriate page size to be read on your Reader - it can save trouble resizing things to be readable.

If you search the forums, you'll find other threads where this is covered.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Interesting about the PDF capabilities. I can't really see myself reading PDFs on it, as I just want to read novels.
Eventually you may find that a particular library book you wish to read is only available in PDF. Libraries originally only offered PDF and Mobi formats but within the last 2 years have been offering more and more ePub.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote