Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #1246
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
The "update your kindle" it's kept grayed out even after restarting my kindle several times. After a while I realized that my Kindle is deleting the "Update_jb_$(cd mnt && cd us && sh jb.sh).bin" file on its own after unplugging or if I leave it plugged for about a minute with the files pasted there. My model it's in the website reference (9017, KPW2) but I did have to downgrade it to update_kindle_5.4.3.2.bin but it worked without issues. Does anyone know how to work around this?

Update: On google I found that the kindle does this when the fw version of the .bin doesn't match the fw on the device. I can definitely say that the device fw version is 5.4.3.2 after the downgrade so I don't know if that is the cause of the issue. After downgrading do I need to reset the device or do something else? I want to avoid resetting unless it's necessary because amazon disabled the special offers on my device and I don't want them to come back.

Last edited by rpgmaker; 10-09-2014 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Found new info on google.
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:23 AM   #1247
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgmaker View Post
The "update your kindle" it's kept grayed out even after restarting my kindle several times. After a while I realized that my Kindle is deleting the "Update_jb_$(cd mnt && cd us && sh jb.sh).bin" file on its own after unplugging or if I leave it plugged for about a minute with the files pasted there. My model it's in the website reference (9017, KPW2) but I did have to downgrade it to update_kindle_5.4.3.2.bin but it worked without issues. Does anyone know how to work around this?

Update: On google I found that the kindle does this when the fw version of the .bin doesn't match the fw on the device. I can definitely say that the device fw version is 5.4.3.2 after the downgrade so I don't know if that is the cause of the issue. After downgrading do I need to reset the device or do something else? I want to avoid resetting unless it's necessary because amazon disabled the special offers on my device and I don't want them to come back.
Use the packages in: "NiLuJe's Snapshots" thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

Also, to save yourself from spending your Google credits, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083

The disabling of special offers is recorded in Amazon's database system (not just on your Kindle) - so it will not "come back".

P.S: You can, and in this case probably should, run the most recent PW2 firmware.
So let it go ahead and update (or do it yourself) before installing anything other than the Jailbreak (which will survive the upgrade).

Last edited by knc1; 10-09-2014 at 02:34 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #1248
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
P.S: You can, and in this case probably should, run the most recent PW2 firmware.
So let it go ahead and update (or do it yourself) before installing anything other than the Jailbreak (which will survive the upgrade).
Thank you for the FAQ! So according to your information I can jailbreak my device with the firmware I have now using the najule's JB snapshot, then upgrade it to 5.4.5.1 and still keep the jailbreak AND be able to use all the hacks? Won't some hacks be incompatible?

Thanks for the prompt answer!
Old 10-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #1249
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Collections Manager will not be fully functional.

But we now have an alternate way to build collections for the Kindles.
(See Librarian and LibrarianSync)

- - - -

Prompt answer?
This isn't "paid support" - we are not required to wait a week or two before posting a reply.

Last edited by knc1; 10-09-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #1250
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Prompt answer?
This isn't "paid support" - we are not required to wait a week or two before posting a reply.
LOL thanks. Good to know, I didn't even know what those apps were until I googled them. They seem interesting, the kindle default book manager might not be very practical once you have a lot of books on it but this is my first kindle so I don't really know. Looking up this information reminds me of my time starting to root and install custom firmwares on my android phone :P
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #1251
iDen
iDen began at the beginning.

Device: PW1, PW2
Exclamation Can't update PW2(2014)

Just received new Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2014 edition).
Can't normally apply jailbreak.
Serial begins w/: 9017
FW v.: 5.4.3.2 (2317380003)

As was suggested by knc1 in post above, I was kinda able to jailbreak device via latest snapshot.
But still I wasn't able to install other vanila "thingies" , not from snapshots, like: usbnetwork, mkk, kual...

New device has lil bit different interface. hope soon dev-gurus will update stable versions of applications which make our life easier.

upd:Still tried to install KUAL 2.4.3 from latest snapshot.
as stated in mkk thread if jailbreak >=1.11N you don't have to install mkk.
So directly copied KUAL into proper folder. Nothing worked, error while opening launcher.

Last edited by iDen; 10-24-2014 at 03:29 PM.
iDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #1252
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
USBNetwork should work.

MKK is bundled with the snapshot jailbreak.

KUAL and other kindlets do not work on earlier firmwares of the new PW2 w/ 4GB storage, so you may have to update your Kindle.
http://amzn.com/kindlesoftwareupdates/paperwhite2ndgen

EDIT: Yep, 9017 is one of the 4GB models. I believe Amazon fixed the Active Content bug with fw5.4.5

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-24-2014 at 05:19 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #1253
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDen View Post

- - - -

New device has lil bit different interface. hope soon dev-gurus will update stable versions of applications which make our life easier.

- - - -

We are still waiting for the KV to start shipping.
(Amazon is accepting pre-orders for it now, so should not be too much longer).
Old 10-25-2014, 02:39 AM   #1254
iDen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
USBNetwork should work.
EDIT: Yep, 9017 is one of the 4GB models. I believe Amazon fixed the Active Content bug with fw5.4.5
usbnet worked from snapshot
after upgrading fw to 5.4.5.1 I was able to launch KUAL
Quote:
We are still waiting for the KV to start shipping
How Voyager is related to this issues?

Yay, only thing left to run is HackedUpReader
Hope it will work out in nearest future.

UPD: Saw new snapshots from today.
I was able update to install/update next hacks on 5.4.5.1 without downgrading to 5.4.3.2
(with installed previous JB)
I installed JB 1.12.N, usbnet 0.17.N, python 0.11.N and scrensaver hack 0.18.N which seems not to be working, still amazon screensavers apear.
Updated KUAL extensions: helper, plus, battery, installed librariansync_1.7

Last edited by iDen; 10-25-2014 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:16 AM   #1255
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
How Voyager is related to this issues?
We need to know model numbers.
All of the *.bin files are "model locked", just like Amazon's.

But -
NiLuJe decided not to wait, and released what he has after my post.

Quote:
Yay, only thing left to run is HackedUpReader
Hope it will work out in nearest future.

UPD: Saw new snapshots from today.
I was able update to install/update next hacks on 5.4.5.1 without downgrading to 5.4.3.2
(with installed previous JB)
Correct.
It is only the JB that you need to downgrade for installation.
And it survives the re-upgrade (by design).
Quote:
I installed JB 1.12.N, usbnet 0.17.N, python 0.11.N and scrensaver hack 0.18.N which seems not to be working, still amazon screensavers apear.
Is your device a "Special Offers" (SO) version?
If so, then you need to get Amazon to remove the SO feature for your screen savers to work.
Quote:
Updated KUAL extensions: helper, plus, battery, installed librariansync_1.7
Old 10-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #1256
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@iDen: Ping me in the ScreenSavers thread if you're having issues with it, to avoid mixing stuff up too much. (And check its FAQ first ;p).

@knc1: Yup, mostly because I have a free week, and stuff was starting to pile up for no good reason .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #1257
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: Yup, mostly because I have a free week, and stuff was starting to pile up for no good reason .
Mine (a free week) is still on back-order.

I messaged the "powers that be" here about the two new prefixes but never saw or heard anything back.

Do you have a "moderator only" channel of communication available here?

Ah, not that we seem to be overwhelmed by owners of the 2014 devices.
But it would be nice if we could show that we haven't (yet) surrendered in the "ownership war" with Amazon.

Last edited by knc1; 10-25-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #1258
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@knc1: Nope
Old 10-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #1259
iDen

Unhappy

It was kinda surprise...
Got all of this immediately after relogin with proper amazon account of person to whom this reader was presented.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #1260
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@iDen: Yup. Touching the registering status of the device affects MKK. That's part of what the upcoming MKK/JB combo helps against. If you are indeed using those, restart your device and that should do it.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch