Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Cool My "read" tag idea enhancement for Calibre idea

I opened a ticket (4209) so it does not get lost, but here is my idea on how to handle the "read tag" that has been discussed in the past.

I know there has been a ton of discussion about the need (or desire) to be able to label a book as read or not and that finally got me thinking...
How about adding a circle on a column to the left of the book name like you see for movies in iTunes?

In iTunes, a solid blue dot signifies a new movie, a half filled in dot means the movie is partially seen, and no dot means the movie is not new...

Same can be used for books. When adding a book, a blue dot is automatically added to signify a new book, half filled for a book you are reading, no dot for a book that has been read...

Or backwards... no dot is added upon import of book and the user can add the half dot as they start to read and fills in the dot when they are done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2009-12-14 at 9.52.02 AM.png
Views:	1361
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	41230  
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
How would calibre know a book has been "partially read"?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It would be completely up to the user. What I am suggesting is a simple blue dot, half dot, and no dot that can be changed by the user at will.

Calibre may of may not add the dot when adding books...

and I thought of something else. It can also be used with news feeds! Whenever new news is downloaded it can add the blue dot to signify new and Calibre could change the dot when it is sent to the reader
Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Nice idea, Roberto!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In principle sure, I've had a similar idea (using a checkbox rather than a dot) at the back of my mind for a while. However, this would require a bit of re-organization of the database, so it will have to wait, until the next time I get around to working on the database.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
In principle sure, I've had a similar idea (using a checkbox rather than a dot) at the back of my mind for a while. However, this would require a bit of re-organization of the database, so it will have to wait, until the next time I get around to working on the database.
Sounds good
Old 01-20-2011, 03:52 AM   #7
Steve123
Steve123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am not sure if this feature is still pending... but if it is, I would also love to use it.

With regard to, how calibre would know the readstatus of a book I would like to pitch the following idea:
- a new book is initially unread
- when it is sent to the reader it is 'partially read' or 'ready to read' or something.
- when it is taken off the reader the user should be able to specify if it is automatically set to 'read' or set the tag manually.

I hope this bug makes it in the end..
Steve123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
I am not sure if this feature is still pending... but if it is, I would also love to use it.
This thread is over a year old. Calibre has changed drastically times since then. Now we have custom columns that we can easily create to handle this.

Please try and heed the old thread warning in the future and let really old threads be.

As you use calibre if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-20-2011 at 04:17 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Quote:
Can Calibre get the information for the dot when the user syncs using the annotation found under send book to device?
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
Can Calibre get the information for the dot when the user syncs using the annotation found under send book to device?
What dot? What annotation? Dwanthny probably meant that you can just create your own, custom read column.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
What dot? What annotation? Dwanthny probably meant that you can just create your own, custom read column.
This is what happens when someone opens a year old thread. We all get sucked into talking about irrelevant topics.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote