Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which ebook stores have you shopped at?
Amazon (Kindle) 114 45.78%
Sony Store 101 40.56%
Fictionwise 132 53.01%
B&N.com 59 23.69%
eReader.com 45 18.07%
Kobo 80 32.13%
Waterstones 30 12.05%
Smashwords 91 36.55%
Ezread 5 2.01%
CyberRead 20 8.03%
Diesel Books 35 14.06%
Baen (Webscriptions) 96 38.55%
Books on Board 76 30.52%
Public Library 61 24.50%
Other 80 32.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2010, 05:16 AM   #31
jayne80
Connoisseur
jayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toys

Device: iphone 4s, ipad 3, kindle touch,kindle PW, kobo mini, kobo aura
I used to buy from fictionswise and booksonboard but since geo restrictions my preferred supplier was whsmiths followed by waterstones now I have my kindle it will probably be amazon.co.UK
jayne80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #32
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Amazon
B&N.com
Kobo
Smashwords
Baen
Public Library
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #33
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I guess my favorite place to shop for ebooks is again Books on Board, since they have the Agency publishers back now. But during all that, as much as I read complaints about the Sony ebookstore, they are the ONLY ones who had Agency titles back in April, when all the hullabaloo was taking place with the Agency model crap, and NO ONE else had them. I have to give them props for that. (Yes, I realize that their cooperation probably made it easier to force everyone else into letting the publishers have their way with the Agency pricing model that is highly despised. But dang it, I wanted to read those books, and I didn't want to have to buy paper to do it! ).
But I've purchased from Fictionwise, Diesel, B&N, Amazon, also. Of those, probably my least favorites are Amazon and B&N, because you have to buy each title individually. My bank HATES that; and will sometimes refuse a sale because they think it's a duplicate transaction. I also MUCH prefer ePub as a format (and it's what my Sony Reader takes) so that's another strike against purchasing from Amazon. So I like Books on Board and Sony, where I can fill a cart and pay the whole amount at once.
Diesel has some stuff no one else has, even though a lot of the time they're way overpriced, and Fictionwise is good to find multiformat titles that no one else has, also.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Most of my money goes to Amazon, but I spread it around other places as well like Smashwords.

I just pre-ordered a book I've been wanting on my Kindle for a long time: The True Believer: Thoughts On The Nature Of Mass Movements (1951) by Eric Hoffer. Unfortunately, it won't be delivered to my Kindle until February 11, 2011.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #35
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Stores I have purchased from but are unlikely to again

Diesel (very heavily geo restricted)
Fictionwise (range reduced, heavily geo restricted)
Mobileread (not much available there now)

Current stores I purchase from,

Smashwords
Double Dragon
Baen
Amazon
Kobo

I try and shop around particularly to try obtaining geo restricted titles. My success rate in this endeavour is shrinking however and other sources are being considered.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #36
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
I have shopped at various stores including Waterstones, BooksOnBoard, Fictionwise and Ezread. Unfortunately, virtually everything I want to buy is now georestricted at these sites.

Luckily Baen do not use Georestrictions and I still shop there.

Now that the selection is increasing at Whitcoulls (RedGroup affiliates) I will probably start shopping there.
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #37
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
But I've purchased from Fictionwise, Diesel, B&N, Amazon, also. Of those, probably my least favorites are Amazon and B&N, because you have to buy each title individually. My bank HATES that; and will sometimes refuse a sale because they think it's a duplicate transaction. I also MUCH prefer ePub as a format (and it's what my Sony Reader takes) so that's another strike against purchasing from Amazon. So I like Books on Board and Sony, where I can fill a cart and pay the whole amount at once.
If you want to buy from Amazon, you could get around the multiple transactions issue by buying gift cards. If you apply them to your account they will sit as a positive balance, and purchases will come from that rather than your credit card when you do a 1-click buy, as for Kindle books. I can verify that this works for the UK store.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #38
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Back in the old days, ereader (formerly Peanut press, I believe).

More recently, Sony, Fictionwise, Amazon. They all have their pluses and negatives.

Currently, I'm enamored with Baen. No DRM and great prices. Since SF is one of my genres, I'll be buying there for the foreseeable future.

Frankly, Agency pricing really impacted my purchases, except for Baen.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #39
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Kobo is my favorite place to shop these days. I have gotten very lucky with being able to apply their 1 and 2 dollar off coupons to more than one book.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #40
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
So far I've only bought books from Kobo. I'm now looking into buying at other sites that I've seen mentioned here on MR.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #41
Cliff Ball
Zealot
Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I mostly buy books on the Kindle, because I have the Kindle for PC. I've also downloaded from Smashwords, occasionally.
Cliff Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #42
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I really like Kobo. Sony used to drive me absolutely crazy with georestrictions, so I tend to stay away from them now. I generally refuse to buy DRM books anyways, but I really really really wanted General Rick Hillier's "A Soldier First", and Kobo was the only store I could find that carried it. That's the first time I bought from Kobo, and I thought it was much easier than Sony.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #43
onewayherway
Enthusiast
onewayherway began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 505
I have bought from Sony and Kobo. Haven't bought for a few months and now notice many Sony books are only US and it seems most ebooks are now more expensive than paperbacks. I guess publishers don't want to sell ebooks. I'm not going to pay more for something I can't even share. Has anyone else noticed the prices creeping up?
onewayherway is offline   Reply With Quote