Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #16
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
That's not what he's saying. He's saying:

1. The DX is faster than the DR in opening small PDF files.
2. The DX is the same speed as the BR in opening big PDF files.
3. The DR is faster page-turning than the DX regardless of file size.
Sorry my bad English.

1- DX is always faster than the DR opening ANY size of PDF file. Opening a PDF in a DX takes always the same time does not matter the size of the PDF.
2.-Nop.
3.- DX is faster page-turning than the DR for smal PDF, and becomes equal than DR when mid-size PDF and slower in big PDFs.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #17
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
No need to apologize. I could be misunderstanding him, too!
O...dear...rfog
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
what? really? the screen quality of the DX is even better than that in the DR?? But the DR has 160dpi. Would you try my attached paper to make a judgment? somebody has tried it before kindly, but there is no comparison.
I've tested both in KDX and in DR1000 and... DR1000 shows clearer fonts, KDX seems to have a "semitransparent surface over the text" (I thing fonts are more difussed).

Load time and turn page in KDX is OK, however in DR1000 I've astonished. Very slow loading, very slow page turning and showing blank blocks instead of text or images). Bad margin croppings in vertical (sided to left).

In landscape is worse. Text cutted and displaced to left in "Hilde margins" mode. Same screen corruption as in vertical and a message telling me there is no more memory available (it is the only document loaded). Low response to buttons and tap... And a lot of nonsense flickerings (for example, to open menu).

I'm very sorry not having a camera to film this. :-(

Last edited by rfog; 06-17-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #19
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
I've tested both in KDX and in DR1000 and... DR1000 shows clearer fonts, KDX seems to have a "semitransparent surface over the text" (I thing fonts are more difussed).

Load time and turn page in KDX is OK, however in DR1000 I've astonished. Very slow loading, very slow page turning and showing blank blocks instead of text or images). Bad margin croppings in vertical (sided to left).

In landscape is worse. Text cutted and displaced to left in "Hilde margins" mode. Same screen corruption as in vertical and a message telling me there is no more memory available (it is the only document loaded). Low response to buttons and tap... And a lot of nonsense flickerings (for example, to open menu).
difficult. OK, rfog, again, may I ask your opinion which one you prefer choosing? It's like a bet.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #20
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
difficult. OK, rfog, again, may I ask your opinion which one you prefer choosing? It's like a bet.
For that document, no dude: KDX. But if you need to annotate PDF, your only option is DR1000.

However, I prefer KDX with its lack of custom zooms and PDF annotation. Mobipocket support in KDX and K2 is significantly better.

The KDX is so fast which makes the DR1000 extremely apparent slow.

Last edited by rfog; 06-17-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #21
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Load time and turn page in KDX is OK, however in DR1000 I've astonished. Very slow loading, very slow page turning and showing blank blocks instead of text or images.
Are you sure you don't have a defective DR?

With all due respect, your comments are significantly different from a lot of other comparisons between the two devices that I've seen.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:13 AM   #22
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

With all due respect, your comments are significantly different from a lot of other comparisons between the two devices that I've seen.
If I have one, it is my third one. Two before worked worse...
Old 06-19-2009, 04:43 AM   #23
yingwu
Addict

Quote:

So could you also try my attached file. You know, it is very difficult to display. I want how the file can be displayed in the DR with some pics.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:01 AM   #24
minhiub
minhiub began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

Could you give me a link to where you saw those comparisons? Thanks so much in advance.
minhiub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #25
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I had a DR when they were first released and sold it shortly after due to a number of factors. I just purchased a DX and the pdf experience from just a reading experience is much better. I had many documents that the DR would not even open, but the DX opens them quickly and the page turn speed is very good. For annotating the DR still wins, but that was not a big need for me.

The DR may have been improved with subsequent software updates, but I think irex's days are numbered with the increased competition. Their product seems to be the classic case of designed by engineers for engineers (I am one so I can say that). The overall experience just seems much poorer than most of their competitors.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #26
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
I had a DR when they were first released and sold it shortly after due to a number of factors.
What about some details of a number of factors? A comparison?
Old 06-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #27
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
These comparisons are awesome BTW.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote