Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Baen allows you to read the 'Free Library' on line

That still leaves you with the problem of what to do with all the non-Free books

Mt DSL provider includes web accessible file space as part of the package. Host your own files (on their* file server). *their being Your ISP
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #17
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
The domain idea is one that I never considered, it's a unique solution that I may just try. Sadly drop box is even looking like a viable alternative. The details about caching web pages , while not new to me, is something that I hadn't really thought about, so maybe I should just get over it and see how it works out. I know ebook files are small, but just like in backpacking oz. add up. Whether or not anyone else on this thread sees any rationality for this service is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with my initial question. Beside that, I see a rational reason for the service and so do all of the people who have set up and used the already available services that are out there.

There are several services out there that do this, but none of them really do it well. Ibis reader.com (no www.) is probably the best, but they offer very little organization and they recently got bought out by safari books, so who knows how long they will be around. Right now there may not be a service that provides EXACTLY what I want, maybe I will have to change that. I know that I am not the only one looking, I have stumbled across some other people on similar quests.

Yes, for a few posts this thread devolved into an argument, but I was partly to blame. I could've just said "Uh...OK...that's not actually helpful." and moved on, but I kept trying to explain my viewpoint because I felt attacked. The fact of the matter is that people will see some tech as useless and that's OK, maybe to them it is useless. Next time I'll just smile and nod and move on.

Last edited by jabberwock_11; 11-25-2012 at 01:11 PM.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #18
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
I am looking for an ebook reader which stores ebooks in a cloud and allows you to read them in a browser without having to sync or download those books. I know about ibisreader.com and www.magicscroll.net and booki.sh and while those sites are basically what I am after, they offer little to no organization for the books that you store on their sites. The kindle cloud reader is another example of what I am after, but it does not allow you to upload and access your non kindle books.

Before I get a lot of suggestions involving drop box, calibre opds, and fabrik let me stress that I want to be able to read the books WITHOUT having to store the ebook files on my device. I am looking for browser based readers that do not require you to download/sync the books in order to read them. Basically l want to free up storage space on my tablet and be able to access my whole library from anywhere and on any device without having to download any of it.

Any suggestions would be great.
I can't completely answer your question by saying something like "I do this and it is great" but I think that a Chromebook or Chromebox will do what you want. They are set up to work either all on line or mainly on line and I see they have a Kindle app as well as they can read docs. I am looking into the new Acer Chrome book C7 with 320HD for $199 myself. Only the battery life of about 4 hours is holding me back. Supposedly they will increase that.

There is also the new Samsung Chromebook with a 16GB SSD and 6 1/2 hours batter life for $249 and you can add $80 and get free 3G for 2 years.

Both these Chromebooks get free 100GB in the cloud for 2 years.

Both also have SD/MMC slots and the C7 has 3 USB2 slots and the Samsung has 1 USB2 slot and 1 USB3 slot.

Last edited by SeaKing; 11-25-2012 at 11:28 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #19
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I know Amazon lets you buy online storage space for personal media files but I'm not sure if the online Kindle reader can access that part of your account.
Me, I'm definitely in the offline camp, so I've never tried it.
Unless you're talking about a different service, each amazon account includes 5GB of personal document space. At the risk of saying something you already know, I'll do so anyway in case the OP isn't aware

You email books to your kindle email address and in addition to been delivered to the device they'll be archived online in that space too (unless you disable that option).

At a later date you can then later download them from amazon to any device running the kindle app such as on the iPad/iPhone via the Docs/Cloud tab. They'll also appear in the "archive" section on eInk kindles along with any other amazon purchased book and can be downloaded/read just like any amazon bought book (although some additional services may not be supported such as popular highlights etc.)

Aside from the limited storage space (although 5GB will store a lot of books) it seems to almost meet the OPs goals. You can read amazon bought books via a webbrowser if you want too, https://read.amazon.co.uk however this doesn't allow reading of personal documents, for that you need the kindle app or a kindle itself.

I'm in the offline camp too though. Whilst I do leave my books on amazon and use their personal archive feature, I only use it for books I have already downloaded and safely stored in calibre. Amazon is then a convenience

Last edited by JoeD; 11-25-2012 at 05:55 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I have come up with a solution. I didn't find the solution that I was looking for, but I think this one works pretty well for me. None of the online sites that offer the service that I was looking for do a good enough job of organizing the files and their reading software is sub par, so after a lot of searching and asking questions on various forums I finally decided on a compromise. I chose to use Google Drive, which while similar to the dropbox idea has some significant differences that allow me to be OK with using it.

I uploaded my books to Google Drive (similar to dropbox, but with more free storage space and a much better UI). I found that when I open the files while in the Google Drive app that it allows me to choose my reader and then opens the file in that app by downloading the book into a cache file. The cache file set up by Google Drive has a buffer limit, so that it never stores more than the designated MBs (in my case 25mb) and it can also clear the cache in the app at my direction. Google Drive also allows me to create folders, rename files and folders, and move things around in the app or online without any difficulty. The syncing between what is uploaded online or in the app is also nearly instant. So, while this is not a browser based solution it does basically the same thing and allows for more control. I appreciate all of the folks who offered solutions, most importantly the ones who tried to guide me toward the dropbox solution. I don't like dropbox, but the basic idea is the same.

I am saddened by the number of posts saying things like 'ebook files are small, so get over it and just download them onto your device anyway.' or 'needing to be online is a foolish and ridiculous prerequisite. Being online makes things worse, not better.' My request was for help in a specific endeavour, not for opinions about whether or not my basic premise was too restrictive or foolish for people in entirely different situations than my own. I have around 4GB of ebook files, tech manuals, and text books. I wanted these files to be easily accessible and in a central location, but not taking up all of that space on my tablet. I have those files on an external hard drive, but I didn't want to have to hook up to the hard drive every time I wanted to read a new book or look through my library and I wanted to be able to access that library on the go. I use several streaming services that would be useless without a network connection and saw doing the same thing with ebooks as no big deal. In other words, the solution I was looking for was one that would work well for me, I was not after a universal solution for everyone.

In the end what I found may not be what I started out looking for, but it works. Maybe someday a good browser based reading app will come around, but even if it doesn't happen I am happy enough with my solution to not mind.

Last edited by jabberwock_11; 11-27-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm saddened by anyone asking for help and then attacking/denigrating those who offer advice.

It's clearly an outlying and probably wrong approach to ereading. I just don't get why you even want to do this other than perhaps as an academic exercise. You never explained it sufficiently to make it sound like a reasonable thing to do. If you actually had legitimate reasons to need to do this there would probably already be a solution.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #22
jabberwock_11
Addict

I wasn't the one attacking, I was defending my views and by the way, attacking my request as foolish is not the same as offering advice. I did state my reasons for wanting to do this on several different occasions. As I also said many times, there ARE several different browser based ebook readers out there, just not ones with all of the features that I wanted. If I were the only one who wanted this service then there wouldn't be ANY browser based ebook readers, let alone the four that I listed (ibisreader, booki.sh, kindle cloud reader, and magic scroll). Overdrive is also developing this idea as is Safari Books. Yeah, all of those developers working on this does make it seem like there is absolutely zero demand for this service.

Last edited by jabberwock_11; 11-27-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #23
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good Luck.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #24
LcLk
Aperture Test Subject
LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Great to hear you found a solution jabberwock
I haven't really used Google Drive for cloud storage, still using it like the Google Docs it used to be.

Seeing as you have quite the large collection it might be worthwhile to back it up on multiple cloud storage services. My Dropbox and Google Drive are both backed up on my Ubuntu One, simply by placing those two folders inside the Ubuntu One folder.

And all of these services have APIs allowing plugins to be made easily, maybe soon someone will make a plugin for some of the common software readers, doing just what you wanted
LcLk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #25
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Sorry... post deleted because of merely ranting.

Last edited by AnneT; 11-30-2012 at 08:56 AM.
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #26
jabberwock_11
Addict

Yeah, I am obsessive about backing up data. I've had external hard drives fail, SD cards degrade, and unique documents get accidentally erased. Whatever weird thing that you imagine can happen to data is probably not all that far fetched, stored data tends to like to do weird things.

Cloud storage and the ability to use cloud storage for more than just an online container is becoming more and more common, so it is not out of the realm of possibility that what I was looking for will be a feature in future versions of ebook reader software or cloud storage services. Amazon has already moved in this direction with their Kindle Cloud Reader app, now all we need is a similar service that is not so exclusive so that posts like mine will have simple answers.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #27
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
Too bad, I didn't think it was a rant at all but an example of practical experience related to the topic at hand.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #28
jabberwock_11
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
Huh, I am not even sure what this is in reference to.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #29
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
OK...
I read partially through the thread, and because you spoke as if wifi is everywhere available (and probably it is... everywhere when you need access), I started talking about our tour last summer through the South-Western states of the US (a beautiful holiday, that is), when I couldn't get internet-acces for days in a row, despite having chosen hotels that offered wifi...

But since that wasn't related to your question, I found it more appropriate to delete that post...
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #30
jabberwock_11
Addict

Ah, I see. I appreciate you helping to keep the thread on topic, it can be a difficult thing to maintain when there is a lot to say about related topics. I wouldn't consider what you said a rant, but as I said, thanks for helping to keep on topic.