Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2023, 04:03 PM   #1
NeilGlos
NeilGlos began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde Voyage, Kindle 2016, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone, Kobo Aura 2
New Kindle - Syncing Issues

Hi

I’ve just purchased and registered a new Kind Paperwhite Signature Edition. As with every other time I’ve upgraded my device, I have collection syncing issues!

The new device has added/synced the collections themselves, but the contents of each is “off”. As an example, I have a collection containing the books I am currently reading, on the new device there are 11 items in the collection (should be 6), including some I finished reading and moved out of the collection (on my previous device) months ago.

I synced my old device thinking the collections should “copy” when I registered the new, but in seems have only partially successful. Any advice...?
NeilGlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:35 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
You can see the contents of your collections using the Content & Devices section of the Amazon's web site. In the Content tab choose View: Collections.

That will show whether the problem was in syncing collections from the old device to Amazon or from Amazon to the new device.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2023, 04:39 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilGlos View Post
Hi

I’ve just purchased and registered a new Kind Paperwhite Signature Edition. As with every other time I’ve upgraded my device, I have collection syncing issues!

The new device has added/synced the collections themselves, but the contents of each is “off”. As an example, I have a collection containing the books I am currently reading, on the new device there are 11 items in the collection (should be 6), including some I finished reading and moved out of the collection (on my previous device) months ago.

I synced my old device thinking the collections should “copy” when I registered the new, but in seems have only partially successful. Any advice...?
If you have a large library it can take some time to sync.

That said, I would go to Manage Content page and see what it says there about what is in the Collections. Maybe the old device was set to show Downloaded only and the new one is showing you everything.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:57 PM   #4
NeilGlos
NeilGlos began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde Voyage, Kindle 2016, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone, Kobo Aura 2
Hi

Thank you for the replies.

I’ve checked the content online per above, the collections are a slightly different there again - that’s three slightly different versions now: one version on my old kindle, one online, one on new kindle!
NeilGlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:32 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
You are not the only one. I see the same sort of discrepancies in my collections.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2023, 06:39 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Manage page Collection totals include book, periodicals, samples and docs which have been deleted, or returned to KU and (possibly public library too). Assumption is that you might purchase (well not docs) and have them already in collection when you do.

So you need to remove stuff from Collection before delete/return or the numbers will be off. Or remove them later on Manage site.

Once I went through and removed those, the numbers are now in agreement on all of the Kindles and Kindle apps I've checked.

However on the Manage page, the totals are still not correct: e.g. one says 'showing 9 of 10 items' when it should say '9 of 9'. Maybe it takes awhile for those to recompute.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-25-2023 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:00 PM   #7
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I'm also experiencing syncing issues with my Kindle.
Lately, I've noticed it takes A LONG time for my Kindle to sync with the changes I've made online or on my phone.
I've also noticed my reading insights isn't updating unless I open a book on my phone. My reading insights streaks would sometimes be 2 days behind, but it's showing I still haven't broken my streak.
My collections sometimes wouldn't update when I make changes on the site. Even when I press the sync button on the Kindle.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:28 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I'm also experiencing syncing issues with my Kindle.
Lately, I've noticed it takes A LONG time for my Kindle to sync with the changes I've made online or on my phone.
I've also noticed my reading insights isn't updating unless I open a book on my phone. My reading insights streaks would sometimes be 2 days behind, but it's showing I still haven't broken my streak.
My collections sometimes wouldn't update when I make changes on the site. Even when I press the sync button on the Kindle.
About how many books are on your Kindle?

It has been awhile since I kept more than a couple of dozen books on my Kindle but I seem to remember having sync issues when I had several hundred.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:52 PM   #9
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
About how many books are on your Kindle?

It has been awhile since I kept more than a couple of dozen books on my Kindle but I seem to remember having sync issues when I had several hundred.
I have 3000 titles on my Kindle right now

But this only started maybe last week. And I didn't add that much since then.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:31 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

If you like to keep WiFi off then it might not have enough time to sync the collections. Try leaving it on for awhile if that's the case.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:01 AM   #11
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
If you like to keep WiFi off then it might not have enough time to sync the collections. Try leaving it on for awhile if that's the case.
I always have it on since I also read on my phone from time to time when I don't have my Kindle with me.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:27 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

You might have crossed some artificial limit set in the code by amazon.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote