Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #46
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
Does anybody know how can I access the full Android Settings ?
I installed Nova Launcher but they don't show up there.

Indeed the battery life on T62 is absymal. Worse than my T68. At least there if I turned off the wifi it would preserve the battery on standby. On T62 that doesn't matter, it churns through the battery anyway.

Thanks.
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #47
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
Does anybody know how can I access the full Android Settings ?
I installed Nova Launcher but they don't show up there.

Indeed the battery life on T62 is absymal. Worse than my T68. At least there if I turned off the wifi it would preserve the battery on standby. On T62 that doesn't matter, it churns through the battery anyway.

Thanks.
For better battery life, try this. I rooted my T62 and installed SetCPU. I used its recommended settings. The app allows you to set the governor and/or choose maximum and minimum CPU speeds, but I left it at recommended settings. I find that it has given me a definite improvement in battery life.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #48
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I notice that the text is fuzzier after non-full refreshes than on my T68.
If I do a full refresh via the button then text is crisp.
Thus I set in the settings to do a full refresh on each page turn. This helped w/ the two builtin readers: Adobe and FBReader.
However all the other readers that I install from Play Store it seems like they are never able to have non-fuzzy text.

Anybody else experiencing that ?
Old 11-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #49
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
I notice that the text is fuzzier after non-full refreshes than on my T68.
If I do a full refresh via the button then text is crisp.
Thus I set in the settings to do a full refresh on each page turn. This helped w/ the two builtin readers: Adobe and FBReader.
However all the other readers that I install from Play Store it seems like they are never able to have non-fuzzy text.

Anybody else experiencing that ?
I tried to use AlReader which has eink settings, but it didn't refresh. I didn't know FBReader was builtin - is it called something different?

Edit: I can't even figure out in the Boyue launcher how to specify what reader to use for a book.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 11-22-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #50
dnastase
Addict

If you go in Settings/User defined, the "Set the EPUB book reader" allows you to choose between the two built-in readers: Adober or FB2.
Advert
Old 11-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #51
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you go in Settings/User defined, the "Set the EPUB book reader" allows you to choose between the two built-in readers: Adober or FB2.
I don't have that setting on the E653 rom. The reader it opens up on automatically has almost no settings, and I have the line spacing set to the lowest possible and books still look double spaced to me. Anytime I've seen one of the Google play readers set up as a built-in reader they take away most of the settings so I doubt I would want to use it anyway.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #52
dnastase
Addict

So you're using the other ROM. Which reader do you use then (it seems to me that you're having the same issue of fuzzy font w/ external readers) ?
Old 11-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #53
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So you're using the other ROM. Which reader do you use then (it seems to me that you're having the same issue of fuzzy font w/ external readers) ?
I have Moon+, AlReader, FBReader, Kindle, Mantano, Nook, and Play Books installed. I usually use Moon+ or AlReader. I hadn't noticed much fuzziness til you mentioned it. I have tons of floaters so letters tend to look fuzzy no matter what to me.

Moon+ with Verdana isn't too bad and the T62 does have a refresh button. I was trying to use AlReader's eink settings but refresh doesn't seem to work for me. I would be interested to know if anyone else can get it to work.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #54
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I don't have that setting on the E653 rom. The reader it opens up on automatically has almost no settings, and I have the line spacing set to the lowest possible and books still look double spaced to me. Anytime I've seen one of the Google play readers set up as a built-in reader they take away most of the settings so I doubt I would want to use it anyway.
Do you have the latest E653 rom? There's a new one out, dated November 11. The new one has this setting. It also seems a bit better with settings in the default reader.

As for fuzziness, I haven't noticed fuzzy text. Generally, I've been pleased with text quality. What I do see, every now and then, is a little E-Ink debris around a word or two on a given page. A refresh fixes that. It's not common, happening on the odd page. I saw something similar with the T68.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #55
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Do you have the latest E653 rom? There's a new one out, dated November 11. The new one has this setting. It also seems a bit better with settings in the default reader.

As for fuzziness, I haven't noticed fuzzy text. Generally, I've been pleased with text quality. What I do see, every now and then, is a little E-Ink debris around a word or two on a given page. A refresh fixes that. It's not common, happening on the odd page. I saw something similar with the T68.
Thanks, I'll have to try the latest update - I guess you're using it with no problem?
Old 11-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #56
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks, I'll have to try the latest update - I guess you're using it with no problem?
The only problem I have seen - and it was true before the update - is that the E653 firmware is slow to "wake up" out of sleep mode. I'll see the home screen, but it will be frozen for a minute or two. Then it will refresh once or twice, and then it is truly "awake". Everything else seems fine so far. I haven't seen the "fuzzy text" problem. But, like you, I have my share of floaters!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #57
downeaster59
Wizard

Oh yes - nightboy's post is updated with the new E653 rom.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #58
dnastase
Addict

Quote:
The only problem I have seen - and it was true before the update - is that the E653 firmware is slow to "wake up" out of sleep mode. I'll see the home screen, but it will be frozen for a minute or two. Then it will refresh once or twice, and then it is truly "awake". Everything else seems fine so far. I haven't seen the "fuzzy text" problem. But, like you, I have my share of floaters!
Funny that you mentioned that. That was going to be my next question.
I too have problems trying to wake up the T62. (only I'm on the Boyue ROM).
I seem to need a couple of button presses to get it to wake up, and it's more like a delay than how many times I press...

I was wondering if instead of regular standby the device is getting into some deeper sleep mode and thus it's taking more time to wake up.

On the other hand my battery life seems to have improved considerably.
With moderate use it consumed only 8% in 2 days. With wifi being on all the time.
At this rate I'm happy.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #59
dnastase
Addict

Quote:
I have Moon+, AlReader, FBReader, Kindle, Mantano, Nook, and Play Books installed. I usually use Moon+ or AlReader. I hadn't noticed much fuzziness til you mentioned it. I have tons of floaters so letters tend to look fuzzy no matter what to me.

Moon+ with Verdana isn't too bad and the T62 does have a refresh button. I was trying to use AlReader's eink settings but refresh doesn't seem to work for me. I would be interested to know if anyone else can get it to work.
Refresh button works for me in all the external e-readers I installed.
But it's annoying to have to press the refresh button every page I turn.
I would have wanted the auto-refresh to work (take into the consideration the setting on how many page turns to auto-refresh).
Old 11-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #60
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Quote:
Funny that you mentioned that. That was going to be my next question.
I too have problems trying to wake up the T62. (only I'm on the Boyue ROM).
I seem to need a couple of button presses to get it to wake up, and it's more like a delay than how many times I press...

I was wondering if instead of regular standby the device is getting into some deeper sleep mode and thus it's taking more time to wake up.

On the other hand my battery life seems to have improved considerably.
With moderate use it consumed only 8% in 2 days. With wifi being on all the time.
At this rate I'm happy.
Mine comes out of sleep easily. It's actually held awake most of the time by a kernel process
so I can't do anything about it.

8% in two days! Was it on the whole time or did you shut it off? Mine uses 1.5% per hour overnight with wifi off. What rom are you on with that?