Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Might be a dumb question, but does this mean you primarily use the Kindle app on your tablet?

I really shouldn't subscribe to this thread. Y'all (+ lots of gift $$$ currently at Amazon) have almost convinced me to buy a Nexus 7!
You will love it if you do get one. It's a full tablet with the latest Android so it does many things. When I was sick having a tablet that could do many things a PC can became really important to me. The long battery life is really nice too.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #47
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The Nexus 7 is the only device I read on now. I couldn't imagine reading on anything else. I use to get eye strain reading on my Kindle Paperwhite. I don't think front lit devices are for me.
That is an interesting point. I also think the lighted einks are washed out. Of course, you can turn it down all the way, maybe then it's not so bad. But OTOH the Nexus is just so much easier on the eyes. I did just get a used Kindle Touch to replace the Paperwhite that I sent back. Just so I can have a device for the kindle owner's lending library books. Maybe that was ridiculous of me to do so. The text is nice and dark and sharp, though the background, of course, is not very white.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #48
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That is an interesting point. I also think the lighted einks are washed out. Of course, you can turn it down all the way, maybe then it's not so bad. But OTOH the Nexus is just so much easier on the eyes. I did just get a used Kindle Touch to replace the Paperwhite that I sent back. Just so I can have a device for the kindle owner's lending library books. Maybe that was ridiculous of me to do so. The text is nice and dark and sharp, though the background, of course, is not very white.
No if you turn the PW's light all the way down in the dark you can't read with it. If you do it in normal conditions it's like reading through a glass window which is worse. I use my K4 for the Lending Library.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #49
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Might be a dumb question, but does this mean you primarily use the Kindle app on your tablet?

I really shouldn't subscribe to this thread. Y'all (+ lots of gift $$$ currently at Amazon) have almost convinced me to buy a Nexus 7!
Yes it does. I mostly use the Kindle app on my iPad Mini Retina though, as it is a much better app than the one Amazon made for Android. I'm not sure why Amazon treats the Kindle for Android app like the stepchild they don't like, but the iOS app has multiple fonts and a lot more features. The Android app has only one font, but you can embed your favorite font in the book. The Android app is okay, but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the iOS app or the Kindle Fire. Books look really good in it, especially if you embed your favorite font.

Also there are plenty of good Android reader apps available including Mantano Pro, Moon+ Pro, etc. for ePub books.

ETA: Looking back over what I just wrote I think I should clarify one point. Even though the iOS app has more bells and whistles and fonts, books look super great on either of these tablets within their respective Kindle apps. I think they are at least as sharp as high quality printed books, probably even sharper. BTW, Other Android reading apps have way more bells and whistles if you don't mind converting the Amazon books.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-13-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #50
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
I just noticed something on my Nexus 2013 that I never noticed on my 2012- a light that blinks from time to time near the bottom of the tablet. Can someone please tell me what this is?
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2014, 12:48 AM   #51
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
I just noticed something on my Nexus 2013 that I never noticed on my 2012- a light that blinks from time to time near the bottom of the tablet. Can someone please tell me what this is?
A notification light. It indicates that there's something that requires your attention, like an email, an instant message, ... There are apps that let you customize the LED, so you can change the color and/or frequency for different notifications.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #52
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Anyone else find it annoying that anytime you update an app the shortcut disappears from the home screen?
This has to be a bug!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #53
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Anyone else find it annoying that anytime you update an app the shortcut disappears from the home screen?
This has to be a bug!
That is rather annoying. I set it to ask before updating and now rarely update apps.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #54
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That is rather annoying. I set it to ask before updating and now rarely update apps.
At first I didn't know what was happening I just noticed missing icons and then I realized it happen anytime I updated an app. I have auto updates disabled too. I like to backup my apps before updating.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #55
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have that happen on some of my apps but not all of them and not only does it happen with my Nexus it also happens with my Note 2 smartphone.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #56
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have that happen on some of my apps but not all of them and not only does it happen with my Nexus it also happens with my Note 2 smartphone.
It must be a KitKat issue.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #57
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
This has to be a bug!
Yeah, I thought it was just me. Moon disappeared again today!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:21 PM   #58
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
Moon+ is the only one I've noticed disappear, but it goes away every stinkin' time it updates. It's even updated while I was reading, and I have to go back in and find the icon.
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #59
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I don't normally keep a shortcut for Moon+ since I use Calibre Companion, but I added one to test. I didn't lose it - maybe because I am rooted and also have restored Moon+ thru Titanium backup.

Are the shortcuts that are disappearing paid apps only? I remember a year or two ago people having problems updating paid apps only. So if you stole the app or restored it with Titanium like I did you had no problem.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #60
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I don't normally keep a shortcut for Moon+ since I use Calibre Companion, but I added one to test. I didn't lose it - maybe because I am rooted and also have restored Moon+ thru Titanium backup.

Are the shortcuts that are disappearing paid apps only? I remember a year or two ago people having problems updating paid apps only. So if you stole the app or restored it with Titanium like I did you had no problem.
No I had both free and paid go missing.