Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I can't read in landscape mode I tried it. It makes my text dance. After reading on the N7 it's really hard to read on anything else with lower PPI. I notice the font difference right away. I had this problem with the PW I couldn't read on my other Kindles after I moved up. I guess my eyes are just that sensitive.

I don't use my N7 for movies or music. I use my KFHD2 for movies and music or my little SGP4.2 for Music.
Have you tried two-column view in landscape mode? If not, that might help. One-column view would be way too wide for my eyes in landscape. I prefer landscape because of the two-column view which is more book like, and it is much easier to hold the devices in landscape mode than in portrait.

I agree that the pixel density is terrific on these new devices and I cannot even use an eInk reader any more due to how pathetic the eInk pixel density is compared to the Nexus 7.2 and iPad Mini Retina which both have about 324 ppi.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #32
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Have you tried two-column view in landscape mode? If not, that might help. One-column view would be way too wide for my eyes in landscape. I prefer landscape because of the two-column view which is more book like, and it is much easier to hold the devices in landscape mode than in portrait.

I agree that the pixel density is terrific on these new devices and I cannot even use an eInk reader any more due to how pathetic the eInk pixel density is compared to the Nexus 7.2 and iPad Mini Retina which both have about 324 ppi.
Yeah I think I've bought my last eink device.

The next PW should improve the ppi, but the real problem for me is contrast is so poor on eink that I have to bold the font to read comfortably, which pretty much negates the advantage of higher resolution. I upgraded my ipad 3 to ios 7 and now I'm used to reading with white text on dark background using really thin font. Going back to eink is kind of ugh. Sure I can make the font real thin on the pw2, too, but then it's too faint to read because of poor contrast.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post

The next PW should improve the ppi, but the real problem for me is contrast is so poor on eink that I have to bold the font to read comfortably, which pretty much negates the advantage of higher resolution. I upgraded my ipad 3 to ios 7 and now I'm used to reading with white text on dark background using really thin font. Going back to eink is kind of ugh. Sure I can make the font real thin on the pw2, too, but then it's too faint to read because of poor contrast.
I still can't read on LCD (Nexus 7.2). The backlit screen is the problem.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #34
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I bought my Nexus 7.2 back in August and I love it for reading! I don't see myself going back to an e-ink device for reading. In currently reading a PDF book on it and I've read EPUBs on it too. The text is so crisp. I never have to adjust the font size because the text is always so clear. I'm using Mantano at the moment but I'm thinking about giving Moon+ a try since so many posters here like it.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #35
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Moon+ lets you turn the brightness down to any level. Try it. In the dark I use -18 and in the light I use -5
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #36
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post

I hear you. I had to bold the text for all my eInk books, and that was a PITA. Now with the Nexus 7.2 and iPad Mini Retina I no longer have to modify the eBooks to make the fonts easier to read. That is good because modifying an Amazon eBook means you lose some of the features, so now I get all the features and no eyestrain!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #37
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
Does anyone know if I can download an entire file of ebooks at once onto my Nexus from Google Drive, rather than just getting a single book at a time? And if so, how?

Because for some reason, my laptop never recognizes my Nexus when I hook it up to it, so I can't transfer files that way.

ETA: I did do the thing where you highlight the folder I want, and tap the little "i", but no download folder option comes up.

ETA 2: never mind, I finally got the computer to recognize it as a drive and copied the folder I wanted.

Last edited by diremommy; 01-10-2014 at 08:16 PM.
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #38
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
Does anyone know if I can download an entire file of ebooks at once onto my Nexus from Google Drive, rather than just getting a single book at a time? And if so, how?

Because for some reason, my laptop never recognizes my Nexus when I hook it up to it, so I can't transfer files that way.

ETA: I did do the thing where you highlight the folder I want, and tap the little "i", but no download folder option comes up.
If you have a wireless network, get a copy of ES File Explorer, and you should get two ways to do this.
1) authorize devices to look at your laptop's disk & the ES should be able to d/l from the laptop.
2) ES will also let you work on Drive as just another disk.
Good luck.
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #39
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
If you have a wireless network, get a copy of ES File Explorer, and you should get two ways to do this.
1) authorize devices to look at your laptop's disk & the ES should be able to d/l from the laptop.
2) ES will also let you work on Drive as just another disk.
Good luck.
Another option is to use AirDroid, you can manage the files on your device from your PC, you could copy a bunch of books in bulk all wire free. AirDroid actually does quite a bit more than file management, have a look:

AirDroid
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:39 PM   #40
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Same here. But I do use my Nexus for PDF reference checking and other tasks when I am out and about.

But I cannot read a novel on any LCD device that is backlit.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:07 AM   #41
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Moon+ lets you turn the brightness down to any level. Try it. In the dark I use -18 and in the light I use -5
I love love reading on mine with Moon+ at a low setting at night, it's perfect! I find I'm using it more than my PW2 at night. The text is so dark, crisp, and clear. Ah, it's fabulous. I bought mine mainly to use the google play store for games that the Apple app store doesn't have for the iPad, thinking that was all I'd use it for. The reading aspect has been a great bonus. Oddly, I never read much on my Kindle Fire.

I'll still do my outdoor reading with my PW2, so I'm glad I have it, but at night I'm always grabbing the Nexus now. I'm one of those people who doesn't have problems reading on a back lit screen, yay for that.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #42
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am using the Nexus for all my reading now. Why mostly due to it and my Note 2 being my only devices now. My ebook readers are Kindle for Android and, Moon+, and sometimes google play book. I do not read outside anymore but I do love the fact that I can control the backlight so I can read with out so much glare.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #43
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The Nexus 7 is the only device I read on now. I couldn't imagine reading on anything else. I use to get eye strain reading on my Kindle Paperwhite. I don't think front lit devices are for me. I had switched back to my unlit Kindle to read on before I got the N7. Now I just read on the N7 using Moon+ Pro. I modified one of the app's background to look just like a paperback page and I use a nice dark font so it feels like I am reading a real book and not a washout newspaper article that eInk gives you. I love being able to switch fonts. I have two fonts that works for me. One for modern books and One for Historical fiction. I get no eye strain whatsoever when reading and my eyes don't get hot like they did with the Paperwhite.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #44
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I love love reading on mine with Moon+ at a low setting at night, it's perfect! I find I'm using it more than my PW2 at night. The text is so dark, crisp, and clear. Ah, it's fabulous. I bought mine mainly to use the google play store for games that the Apple app store doesn't have for the iPad, thinking that was all I'd use it for. The reading aspect has been a great bonus. Oddly, I never read much on my Kindle Fire.

I'll still do my outdoor reading with my PW2, so I'm glad I have it, but at night I'm always grabbing the Nexus now. I'm one of those people who doesn't have problems reading on a back lit screen, yay for that.
Quote:
The Nexus 7 is the only device I read on now. I couldn't imagine reading on anything else. I use to get eye strain reading on my Kindle Paperwhite. I don't think front lit devices are for me. I had switched back to my unlit Kindle to read on before I got the N7. Now I just read on the N7 using Moon+ Pro. I modified one of the app's background to look just like a paperback page and I use a nice dark font so it feels like I am reading a real book and not a washout newspaper article that eInk gives you. I love being able to switch fonts. I have two fonts that works for me. One for modern books and One for Historical fiction. I get no eye strain whatsoever when reading and my eyes don't get hot like they did with the Paperwhite.
These new generation LCDs with high pixel density and resolution have really dark black font capability. It makes you want to throw rocks at eInk Kindles! I doubt an eInk screen will ever have such beautiful font rendering or as dark. I used to have to modify all my books to have darker fonts or bold text, but now I can read unmodified books on the Nexus 7.2 or iPad Mini Retina without any eyestrain, and that is important because modified Amazon books lose a lot of features.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #45
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
now I can read unmodified books on the Nexus 7.2 or iPad Mini Retina without any eyestrain, and that is important because modified Amazon books lose a lot of features.
Might be a dumb question, but does this mean you primarily use the Kindle app on your tablet?

I really shouldn't subscribe to this thread. Y'all (+ lots of gift $$$ currently at Amazon) have almost convinced me to buy a Nexus 7!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote