Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #61
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
The Kobo app on iPad has stats and achievements. Things like read X many books, read for X many hours, etc. The stats are overall, not on a per book basis, but they include pages read, total time read, pages per hour, etc. Pretty neat.
Sounds like a nifty feature. Not sure I'd need it, but neither would I have thought I needed Time to Read, and now I love it.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #62
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Blossom, I wouldn't feel guilty about the expense either. I really feel for you, especially the coffee, veggies and chocolate part!!!
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #63
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Almost nothing; I'm a big fan of my local public library.

Only occasionally will we purchase a special, notable "keeper", that we want to have on hand as a reference, and that we'll pass around for everyone in the family to read. The last such purchase was the Jobs biography by Isaacson, since we are interested in technology and business.

We don't want to accumulate stuff in general, and will only reluctantly add significant classics such as this that will stand the test of time.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #64
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
Definitely less than when I was paper only, about $50-75 a month depending on what's coming out that I want to read. I've started using the library more again and working on not being so impulsive when buying books.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Amazon really know how to tempt me with the "Kindle Daily Deal". They normally offer 3 books (on Amazon UK, that is - I believe it's a little different at Amazon US), and (as I have done today) I often buy all three . Three excellent-sounding crime novels today. At least though I can console myself with the thought that it's the first time in a week - the last few days have been things like romance, literary fiction, etc, which really isn't my cup of tea. I had a very bad week a couple of weeks back when I bought about a dozen books in a week from the "Daily Deal"

Last edited by HarryT; 12-20-2012 at 04:30 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #66
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I subscribe to an eMagazine that's around $3-4/month and buy a couple of eBooks/year. I'd say around $5-6/month average. I don't really keep track.

Most of my reading material are from libraries, both in USA and Sweden (where we have system with no wait lists, book are always available and libraries pay their license per checkout)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #67
GadgetMan
Banned
GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iPads, Kobo, Nexus 7 and many others
I spend probably $100 to $200 bucks a month.. Magazines and Books.. and some Newspapers.. I don't go to movies or buy movies.. I like books etc.. better than when I use to spend my time in the Bars blowing a $100 per night... LOL

Last edited by GadgetMan; 12-20-2012 at 10:45 PM.
GadgetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #68
GadgetMan
Banned
GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iPads, Kobo, Nexus 7 and many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I spend about $100-$150 a month on books. This includes my Audible membership.

I read mainly romances, some cozy mysteries and urban fantasy. For me reading keeps me calm and gives me an escape from real life. When I am feeling stressed, worrying or upset I can pick up my Kindle and just leave it all behind. It relaxes me and is good for my blood pressure and fast beating heart.

This is how I justify spending so much:

I've had to give up so much in past years due to my health. I can't have soda, coffee or tea or any alcohol. I can't eat anything spicy or Italian (Tomatoes and Sauces) so I haven't had a pizza in years and I can no longer eat Chocolate since 4 years ago. Most Veggies are out too and I love Salads. Even fruit except the dried kind. I can't even have a greasy cheese hamburger. *sigh*
So with all that money I save on the stuff I can't eat I buy books instead. I don't have any other hobbies so when you break it all down it isn't alot.
Blossom.. I kinda feel the same.. but I still eat greasy cheesy hamburgers and a VODKA and a BEER everyday.. keeps the blood thin..and I still like the girls.. but mostly spend my money on Books and Newspapers..
GadgetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #69
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetMan View Post
Blossom.. I kinda feel the same.. but I still eat greasy cheesy hamburgers and a VODKA and a BEER everyday.. keeps the blood thin..
Not an option for me. Doctors thought it might be the big C word so they did a upper GI in November and found some growths and did a biopsy. I had to wait for nearly a month to get the results back that it was benign. So now they are looking at the Gallbladder. So sometimes next year when the insurance allows another procedure. I going to have it out.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #70
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Not an option for me. Doctors thought it might be the big C word so they did a upper GI in November and found some growths and did a biopsy. I had to wait for nearly a month to get the results back that it was benign. So now they are looking at the Gallbladder. So sometimes next year when the insurance allows another procedure. I going to have it out.
Good luck. Hopefully the gallbladder removal will help. Usually it causes no problems not having it. Unless there is something wrong, it is about as useful as an appendix.

Legal Disclaimer: Now please don't quote me on that as I am no doctor. This is not meant to diagnose any medical problems you might have. Do not change your medication before talking to your doctor or pharmacist. I am not responsible for any possible and non-possible side effects this post might inflict on you.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #71
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Good luck. Hopefully the gallbladder removal will help. Usually it causes no problems not having it. Unless there is something wrong, it is about as useful as an appendix.
My sister has hers out she's had nothing but complications but my niece has her out and she is fine so I'm aware of what can happen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #72
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
My sister has hers out she's had nothing but complications but my niece has her out and she is fine so I'm aware of what can happen.
Oh that is sad about your sister. I really wish you the best. Let's hope the complications are not inheritary (you would likely have same complications). Or in the least if you do, dealing with those might be better than what you have to do right now.

They removed the gallbladder of my MIL a few years back, and she had no problems from having it removed. Unfortunately it did not fix what it was supposed to fix either
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #73
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
TypicaLly around $25 per month except when I choose to particpiate in the baen book threads. When I do that the books tend to multiply like rabits. I created a list of those books that I have obtained through the baen book bundle threads on these forums and I am sorry to say that I am somewhere around 35 books on the list waiting to be read so I am going to be off reading those books a while. Love baen since they seem to be willing to give my sub-$6 book prices, the lower the price tag the better.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #74
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Just used the first of my gift vouchers to buy a few books. Three books for the grand total of £1.14 (two at 20p and one at 74p!). So still on track for my £5 average! This kind of thing is what I love about owning a Kindle!

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #75
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Just used the first of my gift vouchers to buy a few books. Three books for the grand total of £1.14 (two at 20p and one at 74p!). So still on track for my £5 average! This kind of thing is what I love about owning a Kindle!

What vouchers? Wow, you guys have cheap book prices over there, huh?