Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
elruffianos
elruffianos began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile £200 Voucher to Spend

I recently received a £200 voucher to spend at Waterstones as a prize from my school, and instead of spending it all on books, I figured I'd spend it on an eBook reader that will last me longer than any single book will. Obviously, the reader has to be from Waterstones and under £200.

Here is the selection I have to choose from:
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...-readers/1918/

Right now I am drawn towards the Sony PRS350, but I am no expert so that is why I am coming here to ask. Is there any major difference between the PRS350 and the PRS650 apart from 1" extra screen size and it being £60 more expensive?

Any other suggestions are welcome and would be greatly appreciated, thanks
elruffianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
I'd get the PRS650 personally. But yeah, the Sony readers are the best picks int hat list (imo).
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hello, welcome!

So you are the smart kid Looks like as you not only won the voucher but also made a clever decision.

The 650 has not only a bigger screen, it has also SDcard slot to expand the memory (on board memory 2GB) up to 32GB and plays audio. Both reader are good for at least 1,200 book in their internal memory. Mine now have 570 books and still 1GB of free memory.

The small one fits in a shirt pocket, the bigger one not
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Looking at the website, the PRS 650 is available for 199.99. If there is not waiting list (as that model is notoriously popular), I would recommend that as well, mainly because it is 6 in. There's a reason that 6 in readers are the most common ones. It fits more information in and it's more useful in case you have to read PDF in landscape mode.

Also, if you are comfortable (and I infer you are some you're a university student and therefore technically inclined), I would install PRS+, a custom firmware for PRS X50, which lets you install custom fonts and add games and other options. Sony Reader + PRS+ is imo the best reading device.

An awesome installation guide is available on http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/06/er...tion-with.html

Last edited by sonyreaderfan; 06-14-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: fixed url
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I don't have the Sony 650 but the 350. The 350 is perfect for me. The major differences is that the 650 has a little bigger screen, SD card slot & I believe can play MP3 & audio books? I'm not positive but may be worth checking out if it is important to you. The 350 is easy take take everywhere even with a cover on it (I put a band around my cover to keep it from opening if is should be dropped)

I'm sure you will be hearing from the Bookeen people. They love theirs like we love our Sonys
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I agree. Get the 650 and the Kondor Universal eReader Mains Charger.

You'll have to find a place to get a case. Check Amazon or eBay.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:00 AM   #7
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I agree. Get the 650 and the Kondor Universal eReader Mains Charger.

Not necessarily Jon, they could be in vast supply in the UK as they are over here in Germany.

For your information, we are talking about the Sony covers, elruffianos.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why do you say that? My local Waterstones has lots of cases in stock.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you say that? My local Waterstones has lots of cases in stock.
See
Old 06-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
elruffianos
elruffianos began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for all the replies

It seems the most favoured one seems to be the PRS650, but is the extra 1" of screen really worth an extra £60?
elruffianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Jepp. And in the beginning I thougth the MP3player to be useless, but it is not. At least to me. I listen to unabrigded readings of difficult text and read along. Sometimes its all in the pronounciation of very long winded sentences in the classics and my the job my inner voices does is not always perfect.

Also it is quite nice to be able to expand the memory. I have different SDcards loaded with different types of books or audio files.

But in case you want to use the money for a cover and buy a 350 you will be very happy with it, too. I was with mine. Actually I bought the 650 as a backup for the 350. Now the 650 gets a lot of use but I love them both very much. If I had to decide on one, I'd keep the 350 and would let go of the 650. The little one is so nice to hold and fits in the tiniest pocket.

Can't you give them a try at a shop to make up your mind better?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I am partial to 5 inch readers myself, as I have one but think of this: both readers are internally the same, that is, you're not receiving higher specs for the money (bar the SD slot), and with the 60 punds you save you can aquire a nice cover with a light.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I am partial to 5 inch readers myself, as I have one but think of this: both readers are internally the same, that is, you're not receiving higher specs for the money (bar the SD slot), and with the 60 punds you save you can aquire a nice cover with a light.

Get the prs-350 and you'll have enough money left over from your voucher for a cover with built in light plus a couple of ebooks.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
yah, if you get the 350 you might wind up with the same one hermes returned. #swag
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:46 AM   #15
Flip Martian
Connoisseur
Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.

Device: Sony PRS 350, iPad, Sony PRS-T1
Congratulations, first of all; a great prize. Nothing will make your mind up more than trying both out in the shop. I went to Waterstones only a month or so ago and did just that. I thought the 5" screen was too small and I'd prefer the 650 but (to me) the difference wasn't worth the price difference. I may also have been swayed unconsciously by the way the 650 demo model was faulty and wasn't behaving itself when I had a prod around on it! The 5" screen is fine in use, surprisingly so. And very light and portable. I have mine in a (non Sony) leather case picked up off Amazon for about £15. A case is a must (the Sony is well built but I don't know how scratch resistant the screen would be).

But ultimately, you need to try both to see which suits you best.
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote