Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #166
nookgirl123
Enthusiast
nookgirl123 began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
How is your microSD card connected to the computer?
I'm using my phone to connect it but it wasn't working to well so I'm waiting for an adapter. haha... well, hopefully it will come in soon. Should be real soon..
nookgirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #167
chrism8922
chrism8922 began at the beginning.

Device: NOOKcolor
I am terribly sorry to ask this, as it seems that many of the issues with rooting have been covered, but I've scoured the web and this forum, and can't seem to find exactly what I'm after...

I am trying to root my NC 1.0.0 using my Mac, and I have followed nookDevs tutorial to the letter. My specific problem is that when I download autonooter, it automatically appears on my desktop as two devices labeled AutoNooter2 and NooterFiles. It seems like I've gotten them onto my SD card (after hours of getting "no such file or directory" in the terminal) but after leaving the card in the NC and plugging into the Mac, the NC just boots up like normal. After startup, when I plugged into the Mac, it looks like I have the "back" button and a few extra keys on the screen, but I can't use the screen at all due to the USB Mode window. When I "eject" the NC from the Mac, the keys go away, and it functions like normal.

I tried wiping out the SD card and starting from scratch, but I'm back to failing at creating a useable disk.

Sorry if this is repeating anyone else's question that may have been answered - I really am trying to use what's already out there to figure this out!

Chris
chrism8922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #168
Ankaa
Enthusiast
Ankaa began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
@chrism8922: I'm afraid you have to do a factory reset on your NC first (if you get a few new keys, but not an overall change, it doesn't seem like it's rooted completely). Don't forget to register and update the firmware before your next try.

The Auto-Unzip and the two devices are absolutely alright. It worried me, too, at first, but it's alright.

in Terminal you have to give the complete path, e.g. when your file unzipped to the desktop you have to give dd if=/Users/myname/Desktop/auto-nooter-2.12.25.img of=/dev/rdisk# bs=1m for the 1.0.1 version.

After that, just eject the SD-card, put it in your Nook, connect the Nook to the Mac and waaaait.

Hope that helps!

---

Got another question of my own. Is there any way to disable autocorrection on the rooted Keyboard? As I still write in German quite a lot it really bothers me that words change randomly...
Ankaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #169
chrism8922

Thanks, I'll give it a try again today! How long should I wait once it's plugged in with the SD card installed? Most of the instructions say 5 min - is that about right?

Thanks again!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #170
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
As I recall, my screen was black for at least 5 minutes (maybe even 10), but it should eventually bootup on it's own at which point you know rooting is complete. Then you can continue to follow the directions for post-rooting device setup.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #171
chrism8922

in Terminal you have to give the complete path, e.g. when your file unzipped to the desktop you have to give dd if=/Users/myname/Desktop/auto-nooter-2.12.25.img of=/dev/rdisk# bs=1m for the 1.0.1 version.

This seems to be where my problem is - everything I type at this point says "no such file or directory exists"... I'm still hung up here.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #172
chrism8922

Here's where I stand for now. Am I missing something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	298
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	65286  
Old 01-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #173
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Why do you have /dev/rdisk2, shouldn't it be /dev/disk2?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #174
chrism8922

Ok, fixed that, but still nothing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	264
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	65293  
Old 01-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #175
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is your present working directory (pwd)?

I worked out of the same directory as where the image was downloaded to.

All I had to type was:

dd if=nooter_sdcard_40mb.img of=/dev/disk2

My image is different from what you're using, so disregard that.

Try taking the image off the desktop and place it somewhere else.

Last edited by SCION; 01-22-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #176
SCION
Séduisant

@chrism8922: Give us an update
Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #177
chrism8922

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
@chrism8922: Give us an update
Sorry for the delay, but here's the latest....

Factory reset the NC.
It seemed that I wrote the img files to the sd card, so i attempted again to root with no success. I cant get rid of the auto nooter files on the sd card now, even when i unmount them, they are there when i re insert the card.

So far, im not panicking. Should i start from square one, get screenshots along the way, and maybe take it to a new thread?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #178
SCION
Séduisant

Boot up your device fully. Then put in the card and format it. You can then start from scratch with a fresh card.

So are you wanting to burn a fresh image and start over? Or are you just going to keep it stock for now?
Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #179
chrism8922

Im starting over. Reformatted the sd card, we re going to try from a pc this time...
Old 01-23-2011, 02:08 AM   #180
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I have not been this addicted to a gadget device in a long time. I held out from rooting for 2 months, and finally did it 3/4 days ago. It has been amazing being able to customize virtually every aspect of the nook and more with different app/games. I am loving this.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote