Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #31
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I never make budgets or try to add up my purchases, when I really want something I will just go ahead and buy it. But I spend $10 on newspapers per month and probably around $500 on books per year. Mostly non-fiction, those are more expensive.
Yes.. most of my expense is on Newspapers.. I buy a book or two once a month.. I never ever thought I would be buying Newpapers in digital format.. not bad for a old guy.. but, reading digital is the way to go.. I think I went over budget last month and spent $50.. shame on me.. I use KPW and iPad Mini for reading.. Magazines I use full size iPad..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #32
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Most months, nothing (other than the $22/month Audible gets from us for our credits for audio books). This month, maybe $50 - but a big chunk of that was Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois Bujold, which I had to get in hardback. I'm spending a lot more this month in ebooks, because there are being so many good special deals. Come January, I'll be back to 0 again, while I read up all the books I'm buying this month.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #33
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Most months, nothing (other than the $22/month Audible gets from us for our credits for audio books). This month, maybe $50 - but a big chunk of that was Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois Bujold, which I had to get in hardback. I'm spending a lot more this month in ebooks, because there are being so many good special deals. Come January, I'll be back to 0 again, while I read up all the books I'm buying this month.
I understand that.. ditto here.. but I still need to subscribe to the Economist.. that is spendy but good.. great Magazine..
Old 12-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #34
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
About $25 to $30 a month. That's much more than I spent prior to owning an ereader, it's just too easy now!

My goal for 2013 is to spend $0 and start on the gazillion freebies I have gotten over the past couple of years. I'm saving for a trip to Europe in late November so trying to cut down spending in all areas.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #35
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
Yes.. most of my expense is on Newspapers.. I buy a book or two once a month.. I never ever thought I would be buying Newpapers in digital format.. not bad for a old guy.. but, reading digital is the way to go.. I think I went over budget last month and spent $50.. shame on me.. I use KPW and iPad Mini for reading.. Magazines I use full size iPad..
Doug
Have you tried Press Reader? It's $29.95 a month for a large number of newspapers, several hundred US ones amongst others...I love that it's a fixed cost per month and that I can read any Canadian or US paper (but that's not all they have) I want.
http://www.pressreader.com/
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #36
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I spend about £100 ($160-ish) a month on ebooks. The reason for that is that I have a very large paper book collection which I'm still in the process of replacing with ebooks. Hence I buy between about 4 and 6 ebooks a week.
For a while I thought you were crazy buying so many books - probably more than you can read. Never knew you are merely switching from p to e.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #37
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
My philosophy is that the library's purpose is to find authors/books that I like well enough to spend $$ on! So purchases of new ebooks are few and far between.
However, I have been spending $ to have many of my old, worn, not-available-digitally, and oop paperbacks scanned (mostly just to pdf). Most of these 'old friends' aren't likely to be ebooks in my lifetime, but when I've been fortunate enough to find a few, I've gladly purchased them! So, counting scan costs, I'd say $50-$60 mo.

I'm another who would LOVE to have the OED on my eReader - Shorter version would be fine....
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #38
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I spend too much I too am replacing my p-books. However I alo have some bad habits. If i enjoy a book, i buy the whole series right away, rather than wait until i'm ready ready for the next one in line. So my TBR list is years long. My rationalization is that i'll catch up on my readingwhen i retire, and by then, i'll have less money, and the price of books will have gone up.

I used to spend alot on magazines, mostly science and art. However, i find that i rarely-to-never buy mags anymore- my ipad transports me directly to the sources - so going digital has definitely eliminated a decades long practice of spending $40 a month on mags.

That said - while the ipad can replace magazines, I greatly prefer my kindle for fiction.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #39
MrDoug
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
About $25 to $30 a month. That's much more than I spent prior to owning an ereader, it's just too easy now!

My goal for 2013 is to spend $0 and start on the gazillion freebies I have gotten over the past couple of years. I'm saving for a trip to Europe in late November so trying to cut down spending in all areas.
My problem is I like all the Hot new releases. I'm sick and addicted to reading.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #40
weltonsfancy
Enthusiast
weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
$50 a year for an out-of-state library card. I simply adore the Brooklyn Public Library.
I was thinking of doing this. For a long time I hated to reread a book so only used the library. Couldn't justify the expense as I read lots of books a week.
But I have bought a few ebooks (7) this past year. Ones that I knew I liked and would reread. I limit myself to one purchase a month and used freebies or library to fill the gaps.
weltonsfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #41
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I don't have lots of cash to spend so I'm delighted that it probably averages out to only £5 per month (having to spend a lot more on books was my biggest fear about getting an ereader). Most months I'll buy one or two cheap books (less than £3) if any, then spend £20 or more in the summer & again at Christmas. The occasional library book and Amazon freebies keep me going without having to spend more.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #42
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just spent $10.00 for one book, Archie Meets Nero Wolfe: A Prequel to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries by Robert Goldsborough.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #43
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
From 50$ to 100$
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #44
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
My problem is I like all the Hot new releases. I'm sick and addicted to reading.
It's okay. Like others have mentioned, there are much worse things a person could spend their money on.

I can't say that I won't indulge myself in anything new next year at all, but I am going to TRY to get through my TBR pile as much as possible. The great thing about freebies is, if I'm not enjoying it almost from the start, I can delete it and move on to something else.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #45
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
It depends. In Janauary of 2013, a few books are coming out that are part of trilogies or series I read, so it will be higher than usual. I'd say between 3-25 per month, since I borrow ebooks a lot as well - which, in turn, makes me interested in series and authors I then have to spend money on.
I also have Zinio subscription I should get rid of, since I haven't checked out my magazines in many months.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote