Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #24466
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Waiting for a fresh cup of coffee to brew to go with my biscotti.

So, Stitchawl, are you going to ship your bike?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #24467
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Waiting for a fresh cup of coffee to brew to go with my biscotti.

pretty sure he's selling it
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #24468
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
They say don't go on Wolverton Mountain if you're looking for a wife
Cause Clifton Clowers has a pretty young daughter
He's mighty handy with a gun and a knife
Her tender lips are sweeter than honey and Wolverton Mountain protects her there
The bears and the birds tell Clifton Clowers if a stranger should enter there
All of my dreams are on Wolverton Mountain I want his daughter for my wife
I'll take my chances and climb that mountain
Though Clifton Clowers he might take my life
Her tender lips are sweeter than honey...
The bears and the birds tell Clifton Clowers if a stranger should wander there

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLoQS0GnhWk )

A wonderful song from the days of my first year in High School!

Good morning, everyone! A bright, beautiful Spring day, just right for doing anything.... except going to the dentist. Bah humbug. It's too bad it's not raining. That would fit. Oh well, gotta make the best of it so I'll have a cup of unbranded Keemun tea, a small bowl hummus with celery sticks, then go off for a long walk! Maybe I can get lost and then have an excuse not to go to the dentist this afternoon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
pretty sure he's selling it
Gonna sell it. Import duties would be way too prohibitive to ship it, and what's more, it's the wrong style of bike for northern Thailand.

My bike is what is called a 'cruiser.' It's made for long comfortable rides on good roads. Think "mid-sized BMW car" style. Smooth comfort. In Thailand, a lot of the roads we'll ride will be unimproved, either gravel, dirt, or jungle trail. Of course there are plenty of city streets too, but for long day trips we need bikes that can handle more variety of terrain. For that, we need a bike that is more like a 4-wheel drive Land Rover or Jeep. Rugged, able to handle stream crossings, narrow wooden bridges, and very narrow back streets. We'll pick up something once we're there.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #24469
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
And I would think that one for each would be better as well
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #24470
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
And I would think that one for each would be better as well
There is a brand new 'style' of motorcycle that has hit the market recently called 'Adventure Touring.' It's got the comfort of a touring bike with the suspension, gearing, and wheels of an off-road bike. Protection for the lights, steel skid plate protecting the front and bottom of the engine, a large, easily accessible and cleanable fuel filter (you would NOT believe how gas is sold in the back roads in the jungles. No Esso stations... street-side stalls with gas in old beer bottles.) BMW made the first one years ago for the Paris-Dakar Rally, and now all the major manufactures are putting out their versions. Some are quite pretty, some are dog ugly. I would love to get one of these, but the prices are sky high right now, and even higher in Thailand, again because of the import tariffs.

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 04:02 AM   #24471
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
(excerpts from my travel journal through western China. Please excuse grammar and such; little wifi and time to check it. No google)

(15-04 Xī'ān )
This huge city has a 3100 year old history and saw 31 dynasties of emperors. China has had emperors from 221 B.C.- the beginning of the 20th century; in all 557. The Emperor (Son of heaven) is recognized as the ruler of "All under heaven". This position is hereditary from father to son, but he has to serve the people well or he is replaced. Even for peasants it is possible to found new dynasties, as happens with the Han and Ming dynasties. Also foreign rulers can be emperors of China as well as in their own country, like Kublai Khan. There has been only one lawful reigning Empress in China, Empress Wu of the Tang dynasty(618-907 A.D., the Golden Age). Other women were but regent for their son.

Some serious sightseeing today with a small internatinal group; but first through this city at rush hour. On the pavements are small resto's on thricycles, which bake thin pancakes and fill them up with chopped spring onion, soja sauce, egg and various vegetables for breakfast.

In the eastern suburbs of the city is Ban Po; the ruines of a Neolithic Yang Shao village of 4800-5300 B.C. The traces of it are covered by a large hall. It is a matriarchal society, where the women seem to have the upperhand; even to the point that few men are buried. Men hunt (deer, racoon dogs) and women grow millet and gather fruit and berries. Mongolic faces and tall people, about two metres.They make clay vases with decorations of fish, plants and use bone needles. Cloth is weaven with a primitive foot construction. The people are buried facing the west; not known why, as there is no indication of writing. The village is surrounded by a deep trench and has a draw bridge for the nights.

On the way to the Terracotta warriors I visit a factory where the modern statues soldiers are made, for decoration and tourist. All figures are hollow; the head is a loose piece. Young girls glaze all, dragons, warriors and other reprsentations, before baking.

One of the most famous archeological finds in China is the Terracotta Army in 1974. It is accidently found by farmers who want to dug a well. It shows the armies of Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China. It is buried with the emperor in 210–209 B.C.
From 1974-1979 farmers loot many of the bronze weapons and use terracotta shards and tiles for their chicken coops. By 1979 the government give the farmers some money, get the original terracotta's back and the escavations start in earnest. The problem is to retain the original colors once a terracotta figure is unearthed. Till this is solved, many warriors will remain beneath the earth.

The area is contained within three halls. There are 1300 of the terracotta colored warriors and horses in the different halls on show. The warriors all have different faces, shoes and hands.The tallest figures are the generals. Rows of these men just stand there, interspesed with unescavated material; impressive in their silence. It is awesome; all on such a big scale ..... And I get to meet the farmer, the only one left of the discoverers, 84 years old. We shake hands and he signs my book! Tourist, eh.....

It is near 35 C now and sightseeing gets hard. On to the Tomb of Qin Shi Huang, which in its time it must have been one of the grandest mausoleums ever. His necropolis complex is constructed to reflect all buildings of his imperial palace. Work on this mausoleum begins in 246 B.C. He also constructs rivers of mercury, so this necropolis cannot be unearthed fully. The area is severely polluted; all that remains is a mound, covered with grass. On the lawns a sign ' do not touch. This is treated with pesticides'.......must be the polluted area. There seems to be a museum with the finds, but there's not enough time to see it.

(16-04 Xī'ān )
Today some further sightseeing. The inner city is enclosed by city walls which are one of the few in China still standing. They are build in 1370 during the Ming dynasty; 12 meter high, surrounded by a dry moat and form a rectangle of 14 kilometer. One could walk or cycle these walls.....they are large enough. Originally, the ancient city is seven times larger than the modern Xī'ān.
A nice walk in the sun along the ancient east walls of the city. There are stalls selling calligraphy and stone stamps; I've a lucky sign for my year, the dragon, so I have one made.

And on to the Big Goose Pagoda,which is a fine example of a Tang- style pagoda. It is completed in 652 A.D. It houses the Bhuddist sutras brought back from India by the monk Xuan Zang, who's travels inspire the "Journey to the West" by Wu Cheng-en http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West
Only the pagoda itself is original. The original buildings around it are rebuild and houses divers artifacts, scrolls, Buddha's and such. It is all nicely done, but it's a too clean area and the many tourist remind me of Disneyland. One can dress up as a Ming emperor and have a photo taken. And believe it or not: while I reflect on this, I hear some Chinese flute music " It's a small world, after all...".

Hot, hot.....ice cream and local coca cola. The muslim quarter has to get another visit before I go to the trainstation for the night train to Bejing. Red Chinese silk scarves, local jade, small restaurants with sweating cooks and the tricycles honking away. Nice and crowded.

In my cup: water, water
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #24472
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Wow. Amazing travels.

Just Coke Zero #2 in my cup.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #24473
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Ice water for me
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #24474
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Keemun today. Specifically, Peet's "Lion Mountain Keemun", which is a better than average Keemun at a quite reasonable price. It's an ungraded Keemun (or rather the grade is undisclosed, I suspect), but I definitely prefer it to the Keemun Hoa Ya 'A' that I have here.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #24475
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
A Coke. Lucas is having a bottle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #24476
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
They say don't go on Wolverton Mountain if you're looking for a wife
Cause Clifton Clowers has a pretty young daughter
He's mighty handy with a gun and a knife
Her tender lips are sweeter than honey and Wolverton Mountain protects her there
The bears and the birds tell Clifton Clowers if a stranger should enter there
All of my dreams are on Wolverton Mountain I want his daughter for my wife
I'll take my chances and climb that mountain
Though Clifton Clowers he might take my life
Her tender lips are sweeter than honey...
The bears and the birds tell Clifton Clowers if a stranger should wander there

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLoQS0GnhWk )

A wonderful song from the days of my first year in High School!

Stitchawl
Ah Stitchy you've just made my day, I haven't heard that song for years, brought back a lot of memories.

Off to have some breakfast with some plain old English breakfast tea.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #24477
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
A nicely chilled Guinness with pizza!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #24478
Stitchawl
Opsimath

On the bank of the river
Stood Running Bear
Young Indian brave
On the other side of the river
Stood his lovely Indian maid
Little White Dove was her name
Such a lovely sight to see
But their tribes fought with each other
So their love could never be

Running Bear loved Little White Dove
With a love big as the sky
With a love that couldn't die

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9V-9dSPb_A )

Old classics never die. This one from junior high days!

Good morning, everyone! Getting ready for a loooong walk today. Maybe 10k. I've loaded some John Phillips Sousa marches onto my phone, put new cushions inside my walking shoes, and now all I need is some energy. Got a big mug of Taylors of Harrogate's "English Breakfast" tea beside me, and filled a thermos with more of the same. A quick breakie of rice, prosciutto, Kalamata olives, and a bit of feta cheese, and I'm off to do battle with my waistline!

Stitchawl
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #24479
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Skim Milk with dinner. I need to up my calcium intake
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #24480
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
On the bank of the river
Stood Running Bear
Young Indian brave
On the other side of the river
Stood his lovely Indian maid
Little White Dove was her name
Such a lovely sight to see
But their tribes fought with each other
So their love could never be

With a love big as the sky
With a love that couldn't die

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9V-9dSPb_A )

Old classics never die. This one from junior high days!

Stitchawl
OMG you've done it again! A friend and I used to do quite a good version of it.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?