Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
drmaniac
drmaniac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
505: Is is possible to sort the book by FILENAME? Or to use FOLDERS? I get crazy

And why sony add no folder option?

Without the possibility to store books in folders the navigation with a dozen books is very bad. And what should a man do with a inserted SD card and with maybe 1000 books in one folder? Scrolling till dead?

The other one is, can I sort the books at any way to filenames?

I got a lot of PDFs who the informations are not stored 100% correct inside and the sorting is not correct then.

drmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmaniac View Post

Without the possibility to store books in folders the navigation with a dozen books is very bad. And what should a man do with a inserted SD card and with maybe 1000 books in one folder? Scrolling till dead?

I got a lot of PDFs who the informations are not stored 100% correct inside and the sorting is not correct then.

1: Folders
drmaniac, the Collections system on the Sony Reader works quite well as a folder mechanism. Open up your Sony eBook Library, select 'Help', and then go to 'Managing Content'. In 'Managing Content' select 'Grouping Books (Collection)' to learn about how Collections are used.

I find grouping all the books by one author together very useful. When one opens turns on the Reader one can then sort by Date, Title, Author or Collection. Of these, I find the sort by Collection the neatest variant.

2: SD Cards
From my experience, having the Sony Reader try to select from 1,000 or so books on an SD card is a waste of time and energy. The Reader does not have the processing power to behave like a computer, so why get it to do so? Far better also to conserve battery power for reading rather than sorting etc.

A better way of managing your book collection if you must carry 1,000 books with you at any one time, might be to have a series of SD cards sorted alphabetically by Author. In effect this will give you a Collection within a Collection system. SD cards are now so cheap that this is perfectly viable.

For myself, if I am travelling I invariably take my laptop with me and this will hold my library. I keep 100 or so books on the Sony Reader (I find this manageable and fast) and if I want to read one on my laptop, I simply upload it and bob's your uncle.

3: PDFs
I'm afraid I have no experience reading these on my Reader. I use the laptop for PDFs as I prefer the greater processing power, and screen size.

Last edited by kesey; 10-11-2008 at 06:51 AM.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmaniac View Post

Hi, drmaniac -- Welcome to MobileRead, by the way.

I agree with kesey that putting that many books on the Reader is going to cause havoc with the current file system and with unnecessary battery use.

I have about 350 books on my Reader - and I use no SD card - and can find anything I want very quickly, indeed.

Remember, also, that there are a number of "indexing" systems avalable to find your book quickly: By Author; by Title; by Date; and by Collections.

As kesey suggested, if you have many books by one author (as I do - for example, a large number of purchases by author Richard S. Prather), then you can create a Collection using that author's name.

I hope this helps.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Collections are a nice feature and I use it a lot, but:

1) The user interface for managing collections is poor at best.

2) Collections are only a partial solution. As soon as the number of books grows, the restriction of collection to only one level becomes more and more apparent and limiting. Directories with their unlimited depth allow for much finer control (e.g. first level for author, second level for series, third level for whatever [main series, side series...]).
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
JeFurry
JeFurry began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-505
I'd been led to believe that if there is no up-to-date index of the available books (which is normally created at book install time by the Sony sync software if you're using it on a PC, but not if you're using Calibre or manual copying) then the reader will index everything - including subfolders on memory cards - at startup. This is why it can be slow to start. Is this not the case?

(I don't have my reader yet, it's a present, and I have to wait 'til my birthday on Sunday!)

Last edited by JeFurry; 10-13-2008 at 06:28 AM. Reason: minor clarification
JeFurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
It will find the books in subfolders on memory cards, but it will display that list of all the books as if they are all in a single folder, so the storage in subfolders does no good in helping to find the books on the reader. It makes thing easy when placing the books on the memory card, but it would be ever so much nicer if, for instance, you had a folder for Mysteries, one for Biographies, one for Tech Books, one for Romances, etc., you could see just a list of those large categories, then under, for example, Mystery, you could see a list of folders for Doyle, Arthur Conan; Wallace, Edgar; Rees, Arthur; Crombie, Deborah; Christie, Agatha; and so on and so on (alphabetized, of course). And then if you wanted to have further subfolders to sort each author's books into their proper series (Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, Miscellaneous, for example under Agatha Christie).

It would make life so much easier.

Oh well, maybe some day!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
after reading some comments,I think it's better to store your most read books on the device,and put the others on an SD card.

When you need them,only then plug in the SD card. Leaving the SD card slot empty saves some battery too.

I only don't know if it takes a long time to process the info on a SD card that you previously removed (meaning you didn't add or remove files from them)
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote