Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #31
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Who is John Galt, er I mean, Tom Waits?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #32
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'm far too depressed about not getting tickets for his concert to find the force to make any kind of witty retort to that, so i will simply direct you to a few instructive links :
official site : http://www.tomwaits.com/
concert dates i will not see (*sob*): http://www.antilabelblog.com/?p=246
true confessions : http://www.antilabelblog.com/?p=288
label : http://www.antilabelblog.com/
videos : http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...s&search_type=
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDecraene View Post
You can travel all you want: it's TICKETS you will need.

Couple of years ago there was a concert in Antwerp. Even though the tickets cost something like 250 EUR for the worst seats in the house I couldn't help myself: had to be there. I tried to phone like crazy for 2 hours without success - sold out (only to hear afterwards they gave lots of tickets away to 'vips' who probably didn't even know who The Man is)

So start lobbying for tickets already !!!!
yes. same. crying. did you manage to get tickets ?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #34
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Tom who?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #35
zelda_pinwheel

that is a joke, right ?
Advert
Old 06-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #36
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that is a joke, right ?
Well, yes. Couldn't help myself.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #37
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Funny thing about the internet. I decidedt to poke around just to catch up on what "the Man" was doing these days.

I happened on an interview he did with himself for NPR. He mentions this wonderful album that has nothing but crickets chirping on it, but they are slowed down and sound like a wonderful human chorus.

So, I did a little google search, and found that album. I downloaded it (which was less than half the price of the CD), and now I'm listening to it. It is really eerie and beautiful. Very relaxing.

So, this morning:

1. Wandered over to Mobileread;
2. Which brought me to a post mentioning Tom Waits, who I haven't seen in something like 40 years ....;
3. Which caused me to start looking over my old year books and thinking about the people I knew;
4. Which took me back to the internet and an interview with Tom;
5. In which me mentions this great album with crickets chirping;
6. And now I'm listening to crickets.

Talk about falling down a rabbit hole. Glorioski!!

RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #38
zelda_pinwheel

where did you get this cricket album ? and what is it called ?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #39
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Sorry ... my bad.

http://www.songpeddler.com/JimWilson...us_JWilson.asp

It's called "God's Cricket Chorus" .... it's really one song ... one hour long. Absolutely hauntingly beautiful.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:14 AM   #40
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
No tickets here either. QED.

I have just decided I will spend the nights of Waits' European concerts drinking, preferably all alone and in the darkest smokiest pit of a pub I can find.

That is, if the mrs. allows
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:17 AM   #41
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Zelda, I just noticed that both your English and French (inasfar as I can tell ) are near perfect. Does that make you Canadian ? Aha I know how to find out. Little test: what does the verb "chauffer" mean to you ??
Old 06-16-2008, 06:00 AM   #42
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
No tickets here either. QED.

I have just decided I will spend the nights of Waits' European concerts drinking, preferably all alone and in the darkest smokiest pit of a pub I can find.

That is, if the mrs. allows
that sounds completely appropriate to me. perhaps i will do the same.

Quote:
Zelda, I just noticed that both your English and French (inasfar as I can tell ) are near perfect. Does that make you Canadian ? Aha I know how to find out. Little test: what does the verb "chauffer" mean to you ??
well i would have just answered your question in a straightforward manner but your test intrigues me, so i'll say that the verb "chauffer" means to heat, and see what you deduce from that ^^ (please explain your answer).
Old 06-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #43
WDecraene
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well i would have just answered your question in a straightforward manner but your test intrigues me, so i'll say that the verb "chauffer" means to heat, and see what you deduce from that ^^ (please explain your answer).
Aha it appears you're not Canadian !! In Canadian French "Chauffer quelqu'un" means "to drive someone (somewhere)" and not "to heat someone". Visiting Canadian colleagues tend to get funny looks when they ask for a lift somewhere.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #44
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Aha it appears you're not Canadian !! In Canadian French "Chauffer quelqu'un" means "to drive someone (somewhere)" and not "to heat someone". Visiting Canadian colleagues tend to get funny looks when they ask for a lift somewhere.
aha, you would be correct ! i confirm, i am not canadian. chauffer = to drive... ok, why not ? it makes sense actually. que fait un chauffeur de taxi ? il chauffe. (why else would you call them that, right ?) heh heh, that's really funny though, now i have images of people standing around a taxi driver, holding out their hands to warm them up... yeh i would look at someone funny too if they asked me to warm them up... depending on how well i know them...
Old 06-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #45
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'm feeling a little chilled, right now.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unutterable silliness